talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ideal League Teams

football forum

Doesn't have to be for the EPL, but can also be any league.

For the Scottish Premiership I'd try to make as many derbies as well as spreading the team around the country.

Aberdeen (obviously)

Celtic / Rangers

Dundee / Dundee United

Hibs / Hearts

Inverness CT / Ross County

St Johnstone

Dunfermline / Falkirk

But limited by only having 12 teams, but covers most of Scotland and breaks up having all the teams from around Glasgow.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Based on teams I think would suit the Premier League and/or may have enjoyed their presence in the past.

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Everton
Leeds
Leicester
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Newcastle
Norwich 
Tottenham
Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Sunderland 
Watford
West Ham
Wolves

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

Based on teams I think would suit the Premier League and/or may have enjoyed their presence in the past.

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Everton
Leeds
Leicester
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Newcastle
Norwich 
Tottenham
Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Sunderland 
Watford  
West Ham
Wolves

The only few teams I'd offer up is Swansea/Cardiff (I like having a token Welsh team) and Southampton. Ideally you'd want a pretty decent spread of the country, which sucks fot the south-west.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Spike said:

The only few teams I'd offer up is Swansea/Cardiff (I like having a token Welsh team) and Southampton. Ideally you'd want a pretty decent spread of the country, which sucks fot the south-west.

Fair point with the geographical aspect of it - just think Southampton have become a bit stale of late (mainly thanks to Mark Hughes recently) and they don't offer as much to the league these days. 

If I was to pick a Welsh team, it'd probably be Cardiff. 

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Swap out Huddersfield, Fulham, and Cardiff from our current league with: Aston Villa, Leeds, and Nottingham Forest

I'm the opposite of that. I like small teams coming up. I Iike the underdogs. 

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Chelsea
Everton
Leeds
Leicester
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Newcastle
Norwich 
Nottingham Forest

Tottenham
Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Sunderland 
Watford
West Ham
Wolves

1. Bayern
  2. Bremen
  3. Dortmuch
  4. HSV
  5. Monchengladbach
  6. Koln
  7. Stuttgart
  8. Schalke
  9. Frankfurt
  10. Kaiserslathern
  11. Hertha Berlin
  12. Dusseldorf
  13. 1860 Munich
  14. Eintract Braunschweig
  15. Bochum
  16. Nurberg
  17. Bochum
  18. Duisburg

13 minutes ago, Cannabis said:
  1. AFC Wimbledon
  2. Accrington Stanley
  3. Aston Villa
  4. Blackburn Rovers 
  5. Blackpool
  6. Bolton Wanderers
  7. Burnley
  8. Charlton Athletic
  9. Derby County
  10. Everton
  11. Leeds United
  12. Liverpool
  13. Manchester United
  14. Notts County

Surprised to see no Nottingham Forest. But if this happened, Notts County would be calling you a savior as they are trying not to go down to non-league football. 

York 9

Forge FC

Halifax Wanderers

Pacific FC

Cavalry FC

Valour FC

FC Edmonton

Saskatoon team

St John's team

Niagara falls team

Kelowna team

Quebec City team

Ideally I'd imagine the league should grow to 12. St Johns has a big football fanbase and I think they'll be an ideal spot, also we need another team on the east coast. Saskatoon is the rumoured new team and they don't have a sports team in anything. They'd be a good destination. Same with Kelowna, who have a decent population but don't have any team.

Quebec City because I don't think Montreal will cut it yet. They have a side in the MLS, and I would only give their suburbs a team is York 9 is successful. Quebec City doesn't have a team in anything either.

Niagara Falls is purely selfish because they'd make a great away trip.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

One time Nottingham Forest got promoted and then won the league. And then another time in the 90s they got promoted and came 3rd. Plus with how long they've been out in the wilderness, it'd be nice to see them back. Same with Leeds.

I don't know if that makes them a small club, because I don't think they're a small club, but they're probably the smallest club of the 3 I mentioned I'd like back in the league tbh.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

One time Nottingham Forest got promoted and then won the league. And then another time in the 90s they got promoted and came 3rd. Plus with how long they've been out in the wilderness, it'd be nice to see them back. Same with Leeds.

I don't know if that makes them a small club, because I don't think they're a small club, but they're probably the smallest club of the 3 I mentioned I'd like back in the league tbh.

I like forest wouldn't mind them being back in the league. But overall I like it when smaller clubs come up and then the bigger clubs go down. Unless it's arsenal :D

• Subscriber
On 04/04/2019 at 16:14, Gunnersauraus said:

Too many of them and they cease to become underdogs.

• Subscriber
On 04/04/2019 at 22:02, Dr. Gonzo said:

Forest are a bit like us - a provincial club who had a purple match. Granted their purple patch was sensational but it's an absolute myth that they're some sleeping giant. They're one of many including us, middle sized clubs.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Forest are a bit like us - a provincial club who had a purple match. Granted their purple patch was sensational but it's an absolute myth that they're some sleeping giant. They're one of many including us, middle sized clubs.

They’ve won 2 European cups so they’re like the biggest mid sized club

• Subscriber

All I would like really is the current EPL Table but with Nottingham Forest and Leeds replacing whoever in the lower order, one of them would be Newcastle only because of their bloody owner Ashley, no Ashley then Newcastle would stay.

• Subscriber

Tough one, for the Premier League I'd say:

Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Leeds, Sheffield United, Leicester, Wolves, Aston Villa, Bristol City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Bournemouth, Watford.

I think in terms of 'big' clubs being in the top flight, enough local rivalries and enough variety, that's pretty good, provided that none of them are embarrassing themselves or yoyo-ing. The likes of Sheffield United, Bristol City, Bournemouth, Southampton and Watford are very interchangeable with teams like Brighton, Portsmouth, Norwich, Fulham etc. depending on which clubs are in a position to offer some quality and variety to the league. At the moment the likes of Watford and Bournemouth are doing that but it could change if they do a Swansea/Stoke and go stale in a few years' time.

Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Napoli, Roma, PSG, Ajax and one other, who I just can’t make my mind up on in a European Super League. I’d be tempted to bin a few clubs to get a wider geographical spread, too.

I don’t know if it’s the mystery behind it and the sense of the unknown behind a thirty-eight game season where everyone plays everyone home and away, unlike the current Champions League format, but I am very curious to see what would unfold across a season if a European Super League was created, with the same format as the Premier League. 

Would Napoli away on a cold Neapolitan Tuesday night be the much feared “Stoke on a cold Tuesday night”? Will the Messi’s, Ronaldo’s and Aguero’s of the game be able to do it continually, week in, week out in games of a higher intensity than their current league’s, where they face the likes of Rayo Vallecano, Chievo and Huddersfield Town? What major name of the footballing world would be embroiled in a relegation battle?

Of course this would never happen in the straight home and away league format we have in England and it would be terrible in some ways from a perspective to see such a breakaway league formed but I have a sense of intrigue around what could and would happen if this “fantasy league” ever did happen and take this format. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Napoli, Roma, PSG, Ajax and one other, who I just can’t make my mind up on in a European Super League. I’d be tempted to bin a few clubs to get a wider geographical spread, too.

I don’t know if it’s the mystery behind it and the sense of the unknown behind a thirty-eight game season where everyone plays everyone home and away, unlike the current Champions League format, but I am very curious to see what would unfold across a season if a European Super League was created, with the same format as the Premier League. 

Would Napoli away on a cold Neapolitan Tuesday night be the much feared “Stoke on a cold Tuesday night”? Will the Messi’s, Ronaldo’s and Aguero’s of the game be able to do it continually, week in, week out in games of a higher intensity than their current league’s, where they face the likes of Rayo Vallecano, Chievo and Huddersfield Town? What major name of the footballing world would be embroiled in a relegation battle?

Of course this would never happen in the straight home and away league format we have in England and it would be terrible in some ways from a perspective to see such a breakaway league formed but I have a sense of intrigue around what could and would happen if this “fantasy league” ever did happen and take this format. 

It couldn't possibly last because it's a league built on teams with fanbases who are used to winning all the time. Only one of them can win. The interest would die out.

You ultimately whore yourself out to the parasites of the game and the game eats itself.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It couldn't possibly last because it's a league built on teams with fanbases who are used to winning all the time. Only one of them can win. The interest would die out.

You ultimately whore yourself out to the parasites of the game and the game eats itself.

There’s a million reasons why it ultimately wouldn’t work but I would be hugely curious to see what would happen if the top, say twenty, were to play in a league format with everyone playing each other home and away over the course of the season. 

I’m not a massive advocate of the idea that some clubs are having/have had around the start of a European Super League but if we’re talking a fantasy league, which we are in this thread, I’d love to see it. 

Archived