talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Whisk(e)y

football forum

football forum

Is there a thread just for the best drink ever invented? Finally drinking a bottle of Proper Twelve from Conor McGregor, surprisingly nice for a "celebrity" drink.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to drink either Whiskey or Vodka. But an Old Fashion was definitely my drink of choice. 

However, it's been a solid 2 months since I've had a drink...but that picture @Cicero posted is making my mouth water. 

• Subscriber

Ah, the water of life... Or the nectar of gods, as I prefer to call it.

I drink blended whisky on the rocks and single malt neat, unless it's cask strength then I like to add a splash of still mineral water to it. 

My most favourite single malt is Aberlour A'bunadh; a bit different taste from one batch to another but all of them were amazing. I prefer Speyside and North Highlands style sherried single malts the most in general; Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenrothes, Strathisla, Benriach, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Glenmorangie, etc. Also enjoy Islay's peaty whiskies every once in a while. I will always have a soft spot for Isle of Jura Superstition as it was the first single malt I ever tried...  

When it comes to blended Scotch, then it's all about Chivas Regal 18 YO and Johnnie Walker Black or Gold for me. A special shoutout for Haig Dimple 15 YO; an amazing blended whisky but a bit harder to come across. 

Tried a few Japanese, Swiss, Swedish and Indian single malt whiskies as well; most were good but real Scotch is still the way to go. 

Great thread :x

• Subscriber

I love a whisk(e)y around the New Year, more of a tradition up here in Scotland really, when I was working I would nearly always bring in around 5/6 bottles which I would give maybe 3 to family and keep the rest for myself, I will drink it neat with a knob of ice, my favourite is...

download.png.a367eb5feb69172c43af6cc80b3c8e5f.png

But it's a shame really as my yearly supply has now dried up since I retired plus I have to be careful what and how much I drink nowadays after the hospital scare in Dec 2017 with a collapsed lung and now I more or less stick to red wine or sherry.   

football forum

Japanese whiskey is excellent, Yamazaki (my favourite so far), Miyagiko, Yoichi and Togouchi are absolutely brilliant. I ended up drinking 12 YO Yamazaki in a hotel in Liverpool which was £10 per single shot so you can tell how nice it tastes xD. Love Irish too, they know how to make a drink those boys along with obviously the Scots, my parents have been on holiday to Oban twice in the past two years and always bring me some bottles back for my collection - some superb tastes.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Is there a thread just for the best drink ever invented? Finally drinking a bottle of Proper Twelve from Conor McGregor, surprisingly nice for a "celebrity" drink.

Is that any good? @DeadLinesman was telling me he wanted some.

I really should buy more whiskey, I got a set for Christmas and bloody loved it. 

5 hours ago, nudge said:

I drink blended whisky on the rocks and single malt neat, unless it's cask strength then I like to add a splash of still mineral water to it. 

My most favourite single malt is Aberlour A'bunadh; a bit different taste from one batch to another but all of them were amazing. I prefer Speyside and North Highlands style sherried single malts the most in general; Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenrothes, Strathisla, Benriach, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Glenmorangie, etc. Also enjoy Islay's peaty whiskies every once in a while. I will always have a soft spot for Isle of Jura Superstition as it was the first single malt I ever tried...  

When it comes to blended Scotch, then it's all about Chivas Regal 18 YO and Johnnie Walker Black or Gold for me. A special shoutout for Haig Dimple 15 YO; an amazing blended whisky but a bit harder to come across. 

Tried a few Japanese, Swiss, Swedish and Indian single malt whiskies as well; most were good but real Scotch is still the way to go. 

Chivas is good. Johnny Walker blue is something I want again haha. Red is vile. Black is good. 

Unsurprising I’m a fan of your Hibiki and Hakushu from Nihon. 

I drink on the rocks. 

16 hours ago, nudge said:

So much respect for this post!

21 hours ago, nudge said:

I live a 2 minute walk from the warehouses that store Chivas Regal!

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Toinho said:

Chivas is good. Johnny Walker blue is something I want again haha. Red is vile. Black is good. 

Chivas (both 12 YO and 18 YO) and Johnnie Walker Black or Gold (Red is vile indeed!) are my traditional go-to whiskies on a longer session or on a night out :D As much as I love single malts, they're just for savouring a few glasses after a long day as after that the many aromas and tastes just get too overwhelming for me. 

Johnnie Walker Blue is not worth it at all in my opinion... Neither is Chivas Royal Salute 21 YO or Johnnie Walker XR 21 YO. All perfectly fine and very smooth blended whiskies, but all extremely lack character and there are plenty of better options available when it comes to that price bracket. Enjoyed them all but will never buy again.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Johnny Walker Black is pretty great for the price.

Oban 15's pretty quality though. Much more expensive, but also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

Got this for my birthday for obvious reasons. Over rated for me given the price. Still have the bottle though

white-walker-johnny-walker-game-of-thron

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Got this for my birthday for obvious reasons. Over rated for me given the price. Still have the bottle though

white-walker-johnny-walker-game-of-thron

Nice bottle.

Just a marketing gimmick otherwise. As a general rule, if it has to be chilled then it's most likely shite... I haven't tried it myself but the general consensus seems to be that it's pretty bad with some people even suggesting that it's just like or even worse than Red Label. It's very possible that they just took the Red Label and repackaged it for the target audience haha.

• Subscriber
On 05/04/2019 at 02:02, Cannabis said:

Japanese whiskey is excellent, Yamazaki (my favourite so far), Miyagiko, Yoichi and Togouchi are absolutely brilliant. I ended up drinking 12 YO Yamazaki in a hotel in Liverpool which was £10 per single shot so you can tell how nice it tastes xD. Love Irish too, they know how to make a drink those boys along with obviously the Scots, my parents have been on holiday to Oban twice in the past two years and always bring me some bottles back for my collection - some superb tastes.

What is your absolutely the most favourite single malt ever? Only allowed to choose one! 

Archived