talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Whisk(e)y

football forum

football forum

I haven't got around to those @nudge. The colour on the second one looks spectacular :o. Anything to do with a sherry cask gets a massive thumbs up though, along with anything Japanese xD. Suntory Yamazaki still remains a personal favourite of mine, have a look at the 12YO if you get chance - won't regret it. 

Bought myself a Macallan 12YO double cask at the weekend (can't go wrong with Macallan, unreal whisky) and a bottle of Copper Dog (cheap blended, but tastes nice) the other week. 

My collection is getting bigger and bigger, need to start sneaking bottles into the attic so the Mrs doesn't find out :whistling:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Found a new love for Whiskey in 2020. 

Just bought this with my most recent shop. Thought i'd try one straight.

Yrd9bSV.jpg

It's nice!

How else would you drink it if not straight??? Warning - answering this with "mixed with coke" will result in an insta ban xD  

I have a soft spot for Jura as it was my first single malt whisky... Quite nice. Also whisky stones, cool! :D 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

How else would you drink it if not straight??? Warning - answering this with "mixed with coke" will result in an insta ban xD  

I have a soft spot for Jura as it was my first single malt whisky... Quite nice. Also whisky stones, cool! :D 

Hahaha! I'm a whiskey novice compared to you xD It depends to be honest. Not for a few bottles, but i have drank with coke though, i won't lie. :$

You do get a better taste for it straight, but  if you were mixing it, what would you mix it with?  And any recommendations of whiskey to try?

• Subscriber
Just now, JOSHBRFC said:

Hahaha! I'm a whiskey novice compared to you xD It depends to be honest. Not for a few bottles, but i have drank with coke though, i won't lie. :$

You do get a better taste for it straight, but  if you were mixing it, what would you mix it with?  And any recommendations of whiskey to try?

If you want to mix it with something, then you're better off buying cheaper blended whiskies. Think the likes of Johnnie Walker Black Label, Chivas 12, Famous Grouse, Monkey Shoulder, etc. - all solid blended whiskies that can be enjoyed both straight and mixed; all very affordable too. Mixing single malts is such a waste of both the whisky and your money! :) 

To be honest, personally I don't mix whisky with anything...I just drink blended whisky on the rocks, single malt neat, cask strength single malts with a splash of still mineral water. Other than that, I'll have an occasional Old-Fashioned every once in a while in a pub.

Ohhhh so many amazing whiskies out there... From blended whiskies, I'd highly recommend Chivas Regal 18 YO - but drink it straight/on the rocks, don't mix it. Such a smooth whisky, can definitely compete with some single malt ones at that. Another blended one that I think is excellent is Johnnie Walker Swing. Johnnie Walker Gold is quite nice, too. Dimple is another one I like a lot, but I'm not sure if it's still being sold. When it comes to single malts, there's literally endless options and so many different tastes; it all depends on your personal taste and preferences. I like mostly Speyside ones, as they tend to be smoother, "sweeter", and finished in sherry casks that gives them a very nice rounded flavour. Aberlour, Dalmore, Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie, Benriach are some of my favourite distilleries, would highly recommend most of their whiskies. If you like peated, go for Islay whiskies, but be aware - some of those are very smokey and peaty, so likely an acquired taste. If I were you, I'd buy different whiskies in those miniature bottles to try as many as you can and find which taste profile appeals to you the most! 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Everyone is :ph34r:

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

If you want to mix it with something, then you're better off buying cheaper blended whiskies. Think the likes of Johnnie Walker Black Label, Chivas 12, Famous Grouse, Monkey Shoulder, etc. - all solid blended whiskies that can be enjoyed both straight and mixed; all very affordable too. Mixing single malts is such a waste of both the whisky and your money! :) 

To be honest, personally I don't mix whisky with anything...I just drink blended whisky on the rocks, single malt neat, cask strength single malts with a splash of still mineral water. Other than that, I'll have an occasional Old-Fashioned every once in a while in a pub.

Ohhhh so many amazing whiskies out there... From blended whiskies, I'd highly recommend Chivas Regal 18 YO - but drink it straight/on the rocks, don't mix it. Such a smooth whisky, can definitely compete with some single malt ones at that. Another blended one that I think is excellent is Johnnie Walker Swing. Johnnie Walker Gold is quite nice, too. Dimple is another one I like a lot, but I'm not sure if it's still being sold. When it comes to single malts, there's literally endless options and so many different tastes; it all depends on your personal taste and preferences. I like mostly Speyside ones, as they tend to be smoother, "sweeter", and finished in sherry casks that gives them a very nice rounded flavour. Aberlour, Dalmore, Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie, Benriach are some of my favourite distilleries, would highly recommend most of their whiskies. If you like peated, go for Islay whiskies, but be aware - some of those are very smokey and peaty, so likely an acquired taste. If I were you, I'd buy different whiskies in those miniature bottles to try as many as you can and find which taste profile appeals to you the most! 

I polished a Johnie Walker off last week.. I thought it would last. Appreciate the insight! I’ve added a few to my save for later basket on Amazon :)

This Jura is going down well, but best stop I was only having one after the daughter went to bed, I’ll save the rest. Don’t want a sore head at 6am in the morning... ah sod it... one last night cap xD

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Everyone is :ph34r:

Hahah it’s good to know I’m not the only one who’s vice is a nice drink ;) 

32 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Josh drinks his Whiskey through a straw and has one of them umbrella things in it Nudge... 

Hahaha ffs. You know me too well. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Probably said this before, but thinking of trying some more whiskey in the new year. Had a couple of small craft Scotch whiskeys which were not bad. 

I know it's a simple generalisation but any recommendations? 

You can never beat a grouse whisk(e)y, my favourite but when I was in the North of Scotland, Wick, many moons ago working I bought 2 bottles of Stewart's all for lonesome old me, sat on the bed in my bed-sit watching tv all on my tod, I rang the wife up for a blether a wee while later and she knew I was on the whisk(e)y and said "You on the bloody whisk(e)y? I can tell by the way you are talking..." me "yep" hic. :hh: xD

I took the Dundee one back with me to Edinburgh when I finished my contract security work, that only lasted a few days. O.o

3631.thm350.jpg 192854-big.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

First tipple tonight all week after being back at work for the first time in 3 months. Can’t beat that rewarding drink after a nice meal and tough week!

Had this for a few weeks was only £20 on offer reduced from £35 for 70cl at Asda but it’s really good! Recommend anyway for a cheap ish tasty whiskey. 
svkUfZH.jpg

Some Hop house to wash it down. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2021 at 23:07, JoshBRFC said:

First tipple tonight all week after being back at work for the first time in 3 months. Can’t beat that rewarding drink after a nice meal and tough week!

Had this for a few weeks was only £20 on offer reduced from £35 for 70cl at Asda but it’s really good! Recommend anyway for a cheap ish tasty whiskey. 
svkUfZH.jpg

Some Hop house to wash it down. 

I used to drive by the Auchentoshan distillery every day on the way to and from work.

• Subscriber
Just now, Whiskey said:

Nikka is a brilliant whiskey, enjoy!

I had Nikka from the Barrel in the past, quite liked it... Although I must admit I ordered this one only because I misread "Coffey" as "Coffee" xD 

Archived