talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How to Fix the English League Cup

football forum

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apologies, misunderstood that point!

I think get rid of the August international break. Like you say it breaks up the initial momentum just as everyone is geared up (players/staff/fans) to go for domestic football. 

With the amount of international games taking place in a year, how long would you envisage these 4 breaks to be? Couple of weeks? 

Same as normal, most international breaks we have now have two games, so keep it as is but have them spread out a bit more, if possible. 

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/01/2021 at 02:21, ToonFan said:

Same as the FA Cup. Give teams a reason to win it. No way you'd see scenarios of teas resting good players in the FA Cup or League Cup to focus on a league game if the route to those was top 4 in league rather than top 6.

League Cup = Europa League

FA Cup = Champions League

You know it's UEFA who ruled it's decided via league position which clubs play in the CL?

19 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Yes I know that, but I'm sure the conversation could be reopened if the FA were willing to do so

Why would the other associations within UEFA agree, it's not like they were interested to give the  FA Cup winners an opportunity their own cup winners don't have? Genuine question.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, palacejohn said:

We should have scrapped it years ago. You only have to look at the attendances to see most fans aren’t interested, none of the top clubs want it and there’s way too many fixtures as it is. Get rid!

It worth keeping this season just to see Wayne Hennessey's penalty.

On 05/04/2019 at 11:51, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fucking scrap it. It just devalues the FA cup and if it wasn't for sponsorship money it wouldn't exist. It's there for all the wrong reasons

Don't scrap it, just make it for reserve players to give them some game time i.e if you have played 10+ games this season you cant play in the league cup   ...lower league teams can play who they want

11 hours ago, palacejohn said:

We should have scrapped it years ago. You only have to look at the attendances to see most fans aren’t interested, none of the top clubs want it and there’s way too many fixtures as it is. Get rid!

How much are clubs charging for tickets? If the 'regulars' aren't interested, cut price tickets could attract a younger audience for these games, or perhaps people that can't afford a usual game.

12 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

How much are clubs charging for tickets? If the 'regulars' aren't interested, cut price tickets could attract a younger audience for these games, or perhaps people that can't afford a usual game.

I’ve seen West Ham and Arsenal charge £10-20 for adults in the past for games against lower league opposition. 

Archived