talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021 Regulations

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

• full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • even more basic front wings with only three elements
  • double-element rear wings with no end plates
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

• introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far
  • small changes to PU including a more powerful MGU-K

• Subscriber
On 06/04/2019 at 13:53, nudge said:

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

• full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

• introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far

Hard to judge till race 1, Q3 in 2021.

• Subscriber
On 06/04/2019 at 13:53, nudge said:

Aerodynamics:

• lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/long-to-do-list-for-2021-say-ferrari/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 06/04/2019 at 16:53, nudge said:

Aerodynamics:

• lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

Factory spec gearbox? I like this.

Oh Nudge.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Formula 1 is committed to reintroducing ground effect for the new 2021 car, with the sport’s chiefs convinced that the return of the aero concept is key to helping cars race closer together.

:banana::banana::banana:

Key points of the new regs:

• more ground effect with series of Venturi tunnels feeding a deep twin diffuser + front wheel deflectors
  • much simpler aero (especially front wing (three elements and simple endplates) and bargeboards; a lot of small elements removed)
  • tyres with less degradation

Due to the changes, the following car in "dirty air" will lose only 5-10% of its downforce (instead of current loss of around 50%) leading to much closer racing.

Main points illustrated and explained by Giorgio Piola (source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-analysis-2021-car-changes/4496458/)

2021-formula-1-concept.jpg

1) The idea is to have a very low nose. This version is attached to the main plane as it was in the 1990s.

2) The mainplane is slightly arched upwards to improve the airflow underneath the car to help feed the ‘ground effect’ tunnels.

3) The endplates are rounded to help minimise the risk of punctures in the event of contact between cars, which is more likely due to the wide front wing.

4) The low nose without turning vanes shows the simplified aerodynamics.

5) The wheel rims could feature covers to help better manage airflow and make it less disruptive.

6) The brake ducts are simplified and have less of an aerodynamic influence.

7) The front wheels are covered with two deflectors, which help direct the wash from the front wheel underneath the floor rather than being lifted upwards and outwards causing turbulence for the cars behind.

8) This is the start of a big Venturi channel, which begins where the current bargeboards are.

9) The halo has a better integration with the overall car design.

10) The stepped plane area is not totally flat because there is the chance to house Venturi channels in this area.

11) The taller diffuser is much more powerful than the current diffuser, meaning most of the downforce will be created from underneath the car.

12) The rear wing features a simple endplate to reduce the turbulence effect and helps divert airflow high up with a twin vortex.

Main points of financial and "leveling the field" changes as reported by AMuS  (Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-2021-auto-bilder-infos/):

• Budget cap of 175 million dollars
  • More prize money for "small" teams
  • More standardised parts (fuel systems, cooling, rear crash structure, brakes, gearbox, etc.)
  • Less driver aids
  • Less or no data transfer from the car to the garage
  • No tyre warmers; 18 inch rims

@RandoEFC @Tommy @... @Stan @Eco @MUFC

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Tire degradation is also important as wheel-to-wheel racing. Imagine following close for long periods? Could this spell the end for DRS?

Yeah it seems FIA have finally woken up to the fact that such high levels of degradation are just plain wrong. The idea now is for Pirelli to develop tyres with a wider working temperature range that are less prone to overheating.

As for the end of DRS - hopefully! If the cars can follow each other closely and lose only a fraction of downforce then DRS becomes redundant. 

I really like it so far. Simplified aero, more ground effect, better tyres, reduced electronics/driver aids and car-to-pit telemetry transmission; racing's about to get just a bit purer again.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/18/poll-should-formula-1-scrap-drs-in-2021/

What do we think? Like the author of the article, I've always been against DRS, even without the regulation change. It creates overtaking for the sake of it, not overtaking which requires skill.

On some tracks it is far too powerful. At the last race, with Hamilton chasing Verstappen, it was sort of exciting, but you knew Hamilton was going to get through. Same at Austria, where Verstappen was just one second behind Leclerc with 4 laps to go, this was the point you knew Max had won the race because DRS makes it impossible to defend. Overtaking is only exciting when there is excitement and doubt over who will come out on top.

What do we think?

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/18/poll-should-formula-1-scrap-drs-in-2021/

What do we think? Like the author of the article, I've always been against DRS, even without the regulation change. It creates overtaking for the sake of it, not overtaking which requires skill.

On some tracks it is far too powerful. At the last race, with Hamilton chasing Verstappen, it was sort of exciting, but you knew Hamilton was going to get through. Same at Austria, where Verstappen was just one second behind Leclerc with 4 laps to go, this was the point you knew Max had won the race because DRS makes it impossible to defend. Overtaking is only exciting when there is excitement and doubt over who will come out on top.

What do we think?

Yeah pretty much this.

I dislike DRS as well and as I said earlier, if the cars can follow each other closely and lose only a fraction of downforce under new regulations then DRS becomes redundant anyway.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I actually love the looks of it... Rather retro yet modern at the same time. Love the visual simplicity and the 90s feel when it comes to the nose! Also the new sidepod area is very interesting. Very happy to see the monstrosity of the bargeboards mostly gone. Rear wing looks good. Front wing is still a bit too wide for my liking but apparently they are still working on it.

2021-f1-pic1.jpg

image.jpg

2021-f1-pic2.jpg

ECk6EAVXYAEsuxQ?format=jpg&name=medium

If it enables more close racing, eliminates DRS and doesn't rely too much on standardisation then it's as perfect as it can get. 

Also just an interesting fact: they are using Sauber's wind tunnel for testing ^_^

19 hours ago, nudge said:

and the 90s feel

Yup. I was very surprised when I saw the 2021 model. I thought it would look futuristic and nothing like F1, but it does look very oldschool. All the changes sound good, and I hope they work out as planned. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yup. I was very surprised when I saw the 2021 model. I thought it would look futuristic and nothing like F1, but it does look very oldschool. All the changes sound good, and I hope they work out as planned. 

What a beauty...

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Won't start a new thread, but if you could have one change for 2021, what would it be? doesn't matter how unrealistic the change is.

I would love 15 cars on the grid, consisting of only 1 team per driver.

15 drivers and 15 different teams all with different engine suppliers.

So no loyalties to anybody.

Archived