talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Shirt Sponsor

football forum

• Subscriber

Picture the scene, your current shirt sponsor goes bust and you get to choose a new sponsor. What would look good on your shirts? Something with a local connection, a favourite beverage or maybe your own company?

I can't imagine another sponsor for Grimsby. We've had Youngs since 2004 when I started secondary school!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything that's not an fucking alcohol or betting company.

Rangers aren't "big" enough for the likes of Samsung etc although a nice reputable brand would be nice.

Anything that isn't gambling, hate the way it has infiltrated into clubs.

I like the traditional ones, would probably have locally-based Crown Paints back. Their logo actually suited our kits too.

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

Was honestly shocked Atlanta United's shirt sponsor wasn't Coca-Cola (Atlanta based company). 

I would rather have Coke than an insurance company. 

Let me guess, Geico?

Just now, Eco said:

Nope. American Family Insurance. 

ELEM_HEADER.0.jpg

Ew.

Going back to your Coca-Cola comment, it'd make no sense for them to spend that money being already from Atlanta. The people there will already have a brand preference to Coca-Cola.

Similar to Irn-Bru being the best selling drink in Scotland. They don't need to spend big here as they already have market dominance.

4 minutes ago, Rab said:

Ew.

Going back to your Coca-Cola comment, it'd make no sense for them to spend that money being already from Atlanta. The people there will already have a brand preference to Coca-Cola.

Similar to Irn-Bru being the best selling drink in Scotland. They don't need to spend big here as they already have market dominance.

But I wanted something local,. and Coke sponsors, almost everything in Atlanta along with Home Depot (which would have also made sense consider the owner of ATL is Arthur Blank). In terms of Local, it's really Coke, Delta, or Home Depot. 

If it was ANYBODY, I'd probably choose Mercedes as I think that looks crisp on a jersey. 

• Administrator

Local brand. Walkers being the first to come to mind. These were some of my first kits and they were good partly because of the local connection of the sponsor

98-00-away-white.JPG

95-96-away.JPG

And this was one of my favourite kits ever since supporting Leicester, again a loacl company that grew but eventually suffered from recession and was bought out by Santander:

03-05-away-black.JPG

• Subscriber

I'd love to see us have Everton in the Community as the shirt sponsor. 

I'm growing increasingly of the mind that football clubs should swerve having alcohol, tobacco or gambling related shirt sponsors.

Don't have an issue with Angry Birds so that could become our main sponsor I guess.

There's so much money in the Premier League now though that despite the cut throat nature of getting your hands on every possible penny, I'd have a lot more respect for clubs who rejected a gambling company in favour of a clothing or technology related sponsor even if they made £5m less off the deal.

6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Surely the correct answer is nothing? Shirts look much cleaner and sharper without some wanky Chinese betting firm that you’ve never heard of plastered on the front of it. 

Of course, but when the survival of your club depends on money, that's not really an option.

2 hours ago, Rab said:

Of course, but when the survival of your club depends on money, that's not really an option.

I mean, that’s an incredible drastic way to look at it when numerous massive clubs genuinely don’t need a sponsor (we’ve seen some clubs donate money to charities to carry their logos) but still go from betting company to multinational conglomerate almost every year or two to rake in some more money. 

44 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I mean, that’s an incredible drastic way to look at it when numerous massive clubs genuinely don’t need a sponsor (we’ve seen some clubs donate money to charities to carry their logos) but still go from betting company to multinational conglomerate almost every year or two to rake in some more money. 

Other than the year where Barca had UNICEF as a sponsor (which was really them just testing the waters before they started having a real sponsor), when else have we seen clubs donate money to charities - other than the one off matches where there's a charity sponsor?

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Other than the year where Barca had UNICEF as a sponsor (which was really them just testing the waters before they started having a real sponsor), when else have we seen clubs donate money to charities - other than the one off matches where there's a charity sponsor?

Sunderland or Stok did for a year or two.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We had LOROS as our shirt sponsor a few years back. They're a local charity/hospice in Leicester. 

9 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Of course some clubs can survive, but some can't.

Archived