• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NFL 2019/2020

football forum

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Teams* have been released for the London games (2 at Spurs, 2 at Wembley).

Will be going to 1 of each probably. Looking forward to the Spurs stadium regardless of who plays there. Should be a good time.

*and fixtures
Panthers vs Buccaneers
Bears vs Raiders
Bengales vs Rams
Texans vs Jags

Very interesting year ahead for the NFL. Their popularity and reputation has taken a hit here in the States with the entire nightmare they've had with domestic violence, players kneeling for the flag, and a debacle of rule changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:41, Eco said:

Very interesting year ahead for the NFL. Their popularity and reputation has taken a hit here in the States with the entire nightmare they've had with domestic violence, players kneeling for the flag, and a debacle of rule changes. 

The popularity of the NFL in San Diego, in particular, has taken a massive beating. I don't think it's ever been a very big sports city, tbh, it seems like their teams are traditionally shite and because they're shite and the weather is always fucking nice here nobody turns up unless the team isn't shite.

But out of all of San Diego's sports teams, I think the Chargers received the most love. And they were very popular, just not popular enough for a city that has had major financial issues to get voters to agree to buy a new stadium for a billionaire that was willing to spend more of his own money to leave San Diego than work with the city.

And once they left, there became a split among football fans here. Some said "LA isn't that far, we'll still be Chargers fans" but many more said "If that's how you're going to treat the city that's supported you for decades, you're dead to us" and some even took it even further by saying: "Fuck the NFL, I'm not watching this shit anymore." Some of that last group are people that used to have parties every Sunday with Red Zone going all day to get all the football action of the day. And then the way they seem to treat smoking marijuana as more offensive and damaging to society than domestic violence has sort of strengthened many of those people's position of "fuck the NFL."

According to the NFL viewership ratings in San Diego, the Chargers are still the most watched team here. But their viewership ratings are waaaay down from when they were. The weird thing is how a lot of the sports bars here that used to support the local team are now randomly bars for other teams. The bar I go to the most is now a Chicago Bears bar, another has become a Patriots bar, there're like a billion Philadelphia Eagles bars now.

There's also a great taco place that gives out free tacos anytime the LA Chargers lose a game :) 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Eco said:

Schedules are released tonight - draft in just over a week. 

For the London games:

6th Oct - Bears vs Raiders (Spurs stadium)
13th Oct - Panthers vs Buccaneers (Spurs stadium)

27th Oct - Rams vs Bengals (Wembley)
3rd Nov - Jags vs Texans (Wembley)

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2019 at 19:31, Stan said:

For the London games:

6th Oct - Bears vs Raiders (Spurs stadium)
13th Oct - Panthers vs Buccaneers (Spurs stadium)

27th Oct - Rams vs Bengals (Wembley)
3rd Nov - Jags vs Texans (Wembley)

You planning on going to any? 

Was hoping to do one of the Spurs’ games with my Dad but he’s away on holiday for the first and we may be out that weekend of the 13th, too, so planning on Jaguars v Texans now. 

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

You planning on going to any? 

Was hoping to do one of the Spurs’ games with my Dad but he’s away on holiday for the first and we may be out that weekend of the 13th, too, so planning on Jaguars v Texans now. 

Yep. 

Hoping to get tickets for the 6th Oct as that's the only one I can do at that ground. Then only one of the Wembley ones as I'm busy around that time this year. 

Not happy that it's a free for all for anyone to buy tickets at Spurs ground though. Anyone who's had season tickets for Wembley games for last year and before has to apply fresh. Quite expensive too. 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
56 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Anyone buzzing yet?

Yep :D 

Mainly as I'm going to see the new Spurs stadium for the first game.

Will be keeping more of an interest in some games. More than last season anyway. Watched the NFL highlights programme on BBC and thought it was decent. Enjoyed that.

I've always been a fair weather NFL 'fan'. And when i say fair weather, i mean, I have no real clue on the players.

But 4 of my mates love it and have got me into an NFL fantasy league so I'm learning.

My uncle is a Raiders fan and we're going to the Bears game at Spurs so I will try and get into it this season.

No affinity to anyone really as of yet, but from a fantasy perspective, I have Mahomes as my QB and he's smashed it apparently so happy days for him and me.

• Administrator
On 08/09/2019 at 16:16, Smiley Culture said:

Who supports who then? Part of me quite likes the Saints but then again I’m off to Texans v Jaguars at Wembley so feel like I should support one of them but also possibly the Jaguars because they’re most likely to be a London club at some point in the future. 

Seahawks. 

I think what Antonio Brown did is pretty disgusting. But I guess he lost half of what he would have been guaranteed... although now instead of playing for the shitty Raiders he'll probably be winning a super bowl this year because he's joined those fuckers. I think the league should suspend him, personally.

Also that Miami game was shocking. I know that Miami have basically traded away most of their talent for draft capital as they're hoping to rebuild - but they were pretty appalling. And if you play fantasy football with American football, I'd be looking to pick up whatever defense is playing Miami for a safe pick each week.

The Saints-Texans game last night was very, very, very good. Two of my favourite teams to watch too - for the Texans I think Deshaun Watson and Hopkins are two of the most fun players in the league to watch. With the saints... that man Kamara is just a beast, and I'm told Brees is something of a legend... certainly seems like it.

On 08/09/2019 at 08:16, Smiley Culture said:

Who supports who then? Part of me quite likes the Saints but then again I’m off to Texans v Jaguars at Wembley so feel like I should support one of them but also possibly the Jaguars because they’re most likely to be a London club at some point in the future. 

The Saints and the Texans are two of the most fun sides in football to watch imo - so I don't think the Saints are a bad choice if you want to pick a team to support. But yeah, the Jaguars do have the actual London connection, so makes sense for them to be supported too. Jaguars aren't anywhere near as fun to watch as the other two - although the rookie QB filling in for the injured starter played really well and they got quite a bit of success through the air. Could be fun watching him develop, because that's not a bad start to his NFL career.

But as for me personally, I'm a 49ers fan because my fiancé is from SF - so that just makes everything easy. And it's where we met, so SF's got that connection for us too. I used to be a Chargers fan when they were in San Diego because pretty much all the people we hang out with here are (well were) Chargers fans. But the way the Chargers went about holding the city of San Diego ransom to pay for the new Chargers stadium in downtown San Diego (and the downtown area isn't very big - so it'd mean taking away land from people living there and businesses operating there) - basically an impossible demand and wanting funding from the city (when they're owned by billionaires)… and then being willing to spend more of their own money on building a new training ground in LA than they were willing to contribute to stay in the place they'd been for decades. It was just a big "fuck you" to the city - and it made it clear they really just wanted to move to LA so they could sell more corporate boxes. They're also historically a side that's not really focused on ever... winning anything. And this is in American sports where parity is more commonplace.

It's a shame because the Chargers were loved by the natives - but San Diego is a city of transplants as well, and a lot of those people have teams of their own from their hometowns. So there'd be lots of away fans at Chargers games, but they'd also take their kids to Chargers games regularly. And the tickets were pretty cheap... for an NFL game... NFL tickets are still very expensive. So I'd get to go to a few NFL games a year, which was pretty cool.

And now it's really a 50/50 split on whether people in San Diego still like the Chargers or whether they're absolutely hated in the city. A lot of people hate them, my friends and I are included in that. And I'd actively encourage most NFL fans to similarly hate the Chargers and their owners. They're also not very popular in LA, as Los Angeles has a massive Raiders contingent (so does San Diego, tbh) and a big Rams following - particularly now that the Rams are no longer shit. So Chargers games have trouble selling out MLS stadiums that have half the capacity of a normal NFL game. Love seeing that tbh.

The point of this long post is: don't be a Chargers fan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

At the Bears vs Raiders. p

Spurs stadium is pretty fucking awesome.

PANO_20191006_172353.vr.jpg

PANO_20191006_172215.vr.jpg it's fucking huge not gonna lie. We're up in the gods but you still get a quality view of the pitch. 

Yep, I was also there yesterday. My uncle is a Raiders fan and we were sat amongst Bears fans so it was pretty fun from that perspective.

The stadium is unreal. Not just the views but the concourse is another level.

Have to say, as a very casual NFL fan, with no real clue about the sport, it was a brilliant experience yesterday. Thought the stop start thing would annoy me but there is always something going on when you are there.

The NFL superstore is mental. Like going in to a store on Black Friday xD

20191006_185157.thumb.jpg.057e87de0f6359aeb4f1be842a688047.jpg20191006_192649.thumb.jpg.89b28be9e2156d547c9c4ca7b81fa1a7.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yep, I was also there yesterday. My uncle is a Raiders fan and we were sat amongst Bears fans so it was pretty fun from that perspective.

Have to say, as a very casual NFL fan, with no real clue about the sport, it was a brilliant experience yesterday. Thought the stop start thing would annoy me but there is always something going on when you are there.

The NFL superstore is mental. Like going in to a store on Black Friday xD

20191006_185157.thumb.jpg.057e87de0f6359aeb4f1be842a688047.jpg20191006_192649.thumb.jpg.89b28be9e2156d547c9c4ca7b81fa1a7.jpg

Those look at quality seats there mate. 

Archived