talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

Maybe it's just cos I'm more thick skinned than some of these footballers, but I wouldn't be bothered to deal with racist chants. It's singing from people you are never going to meet in your life. For me, the big problem is if the discrimination is starting to affect you at work. Whether they won't consider you cos you are black, or a more under-the-radar nationality. Another example is Bonucci putting 50-50 on the problem. Just straight up insults from people you've never met though, meh.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

For me, the big problem is if the discrimination is starting to affect you at work

Is being racially abused during a football match not affecting a footballer at work? Is a footballer not at work when they play? 

You can't just brush racist chanting off because it may not affect you. It's wrong and unacceptable on all levels. 

19 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

but I wouldn't be bothered to deal with racist chants. It's singing from people you are never going to meet in your life. 

Also, you're probably gonna never meet Teso yet you do get so worked up over the Internet whenever he mentions you :ph34r::ay:

• Haha 3

Just now, Stan said:

Is being racially abused during a football match not affecting a footballer at work? Is a footballer not at work when they play? 

You can't just brush racist chanting off because it may not affect you. It's wrong and unacceptable on all levels. 

It's definitely not the right thing to do - but for me they are just words.

When one of your teammates steps up and says something that doesn't help your case though, that is a problem (Bonnucci)

Unfortunately it's like the Mexican Putos chant. Something that can't really be stopped.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Was going to mention Russia but Russia gets highlighted more because of political reasos

Racism is racism though, surely? Politically-influenced or not?

21 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Maybe it's just cos I'm more thick skinned than some of these footballers, but I wouldn't be bothered to deal with racist chants. It's singing from people you are never going to meet in your life. For me, the big problem is if the discrimination is starting to affect you at work. Whether they won't consider you cos you are black, or a more under-the-radar nationality. Another example is Bonucci putting 50-50 on the problem. Just straight up insults from people you've never met though, meh.

I think hundreds of years of repression might be why some are quote offended by it 🤔no offence Brian but that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Don't know if we already have a general thread for this but here's Gordon Strachan comparing abusing a convicted sex offender to the abuse of black players

O.o

He's just ruined his entire punditry career in a few seconds. Not that I necessarily agree with that though. I'm extremely anti racist but it may just be more of a  stupid un thought out  comment more than anything

Edited by Guest

On 06/04/2019 at 15:10, Cannabis said:

Think Brian does well to ignore Teso tbh.

Love how people are laughing at this. I'm pretty sure Cannabis was being serious.

If you need proof, look at his last 3 months on the forum. Only indirect contact.

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nice edit :ph34r: Should have kept it to what you put originally. 

I read both posts wrong 3 times. That is what you call a mind bamboozle xD

Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans and now French fans being degenerate dickheads and being racist in 2019. The mind boggles at the stupidity of people in this day and age. 

It’s what you’d have expected in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s, not now, where the UK is multicultural and we have people of all races and colours in the country and many in football, too. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans and now French fans being degenerate dickheads and being racist in 2019. The mind boggles at the stupidity of people in this day and age. 

It’s what you’d have expected in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s, not now, where the UK is multicultural and we have people of all races and colours in the country and many in football, too. 

I've heard a lot of people correctly point out recently that the problem isn't racism in football specifically but racism in society that then happens at football matches where it's become somehow in vogue. It's reflective of society, not football fans though, that much rings true for me.

It's disgusting but not exactly surprising given that society seems to be relapsing to a world of separatist and extremist politics and attitudes, from Islam extremists committing acts of terrorism to Trump's xenophobic election campaign to the Brexit vote and even the follow up negotiations where huge 'us and them' divides have surfaces between different layers of 'Leavers' and 'Remainers' to racial abuse routinely occurring at football matches.

It is truly astounding the extent to which humanity hates itself. Yet people who compare the language which routinely gets pedalled by major public figures like Trump to the sort of language that Adolf Hitler used before he went full Holocaust still get laughed at because they're apparently exaggerating.

And actually, credit has to go to the professional footballers who generally get such a bad wrap for being "thick as two short planks" or "having more money than they'll ever know what to do with" or "not knowing what it's like to spend a month's wages on their season ticket so they should just be able to ignore whatever's shouted from the stands". Raheem Sterling and co are the only ones speaking out and trying to lead us to a resolution in this problem while the FA and UEFA give it lip service and print a few hundred Kick It Out t-shirts a season. Let's not get started on how ill-equipped the government itself, who should be intervening in an issue this serious, are to confront it.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure things are any worse than before, it's just now recorded. These West Ham fans will have sung this for years, likewise Chelsea etc. I remember going to Stamford Bridge and hearing the Chelsea Ranger stuff when I was under 10, this isn't new it's just that we now have the means to record it. These people are so stupid they can't confine their bigotry to there own sordid little griefhole pubs where they will be surrounded by the likeminded, and will inevitably be caught doing it in public. Hopefully to the detriment of their careers and general life.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to Racism in Football