talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

Check that, just read the ESPN article and it appears this was done on Social Media. 

The midfielder stepped up ahead of Marcus Rashford, who was successful from the spot against Chelsea during the opening weekend of the season. After that, a minority of fans sent racist abuse to him on Twitter.

A bunch of racist keyboard warriors. Absolutely disgusting, but it's a problem everyone is facing, and no one seems to have a way to solve it. Yet. Hope the idiots are found and banned for life. 

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Let me ask you all a serious questions, because I gave up on Italian football because of how Balotelli and others were treated (bananas being thrown and all that shit). 

How is this still a thing? We don't this behavior at stadiumds in the U.S. (unless I'm highly mistaken), but whereas he have terrible race relations and have a fued between the NFL and players kneeling in regards to race relations, we rarely have any verbal racist taunting done by fans. 

I understand Social Media is a different beast, but from my understanding, the racial abuse towards Pogba was directed during the game...

What the aboslute fuck is wrong with people? 

Social media's emboldened racists

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Social media's emboldened racists

Yeah - that's why I responded to my own comment. 

Social Media had great intentions, and still has incredible use...but it also breeds the wost in people. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - that's why I responded to my own comment. 

Social Media had great intentions, and still has incredible use...but it also breeds the wost in people. 

It was bound to happen. Its a platform with absolutely no restrictions where people can just say what they want and live in the anonymity of their actions too. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Eco said:

Let me ask you all a serious questions, because I gave up on Italian football because of how Balotelli and others were treated (bananas being thrown and all that shit). 

How is this still a thing? We don't this behavior at stadiumds in the U.S. (unless I'm highly mistaken), but whereas he have terrible race relations and have a fued between the NFL and players kneeling in regards to race relations, we rarely have any verbal racist taunting done by fans. 

I understand Social Media is a different beast, but from my understanding, the racial abuse towards Pogba was directed during the game...

Hasn't it has always been the case with football ? Nothing comes close to football when it comes to hooliganism, violence, riots.

I mean i have never heard or seen in any other sport that fans stabbed or shoot each other.

Just now, Stick With Azeem said:

Hasn't it has always been the case with football ? Nothing comes close to football when it comes to hooliganism, violence, riots.

I mean i have never heard or seen in any other sport that fans stabbed or shoot each other.

True - but a lot of that has evolved and isn't as much as a problem or common as it used to be. Granted, there are still a lot of issues with it, but nothing like the 70's I would say. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

A bunch of racist keyboard warriors.

Yep, a lot of them are and the ones at games are fucking morons who hide behind other peoples backs or hang around in packs, get a black guy in the street to face off one of them alone and see if he calls him or her names then, I bet they wouldn't say boo to a ghost and run a fucking mile too. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yep, a lot of them are and the ones at games are fucking morons who hide behind other peoples backs or hang around in packs, get a black guy in the street to face off one of them alone and see if he calls him or her names then, I bet they wouldn't say boo to a ghost and run a fucking mile too. 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Eco said:

I'm something of an outsider, so correct me if I'm wrong, but American sports don't seem to inspire the kind of visceral hatred football does. As @Dan's said, people will do anything for attention or a reaction, and in the heat of the moment they go to the worst thing they can think of. The one that'll hurt. I have no doubt there are genuine racists among them, but I also believe a lot of what you see is idiots digging into the depths of depravity because they fucking loathe the opposition. Something of a hangover from the hooliganism of the 70s and 80s perhaps.

Also, it seems to me that overt racism in America is a lot more heavily condemned (because of the history of the country), so people are far less likely to 'just go there'.

Edited by Burning Gold

2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm something of an outsider, so correct me if I'm wrong, but American sports don't seem to inspire the kind of visceral hatred football does. As @Dan's said, people will do anything for attention or a reaction, and in the heat of the moment they go to the worst thing they can think of. The one that'll hurt. I have no doubt there are genuine racists among them, but I also believe a lot of what you see is idiots digging into the depths of depravity because they fucking loathe the opposition. Something of a hangover from the hooliganism of the 70s and 80s perhaps.

Also, it seems to me that overt racism in America is a lot more heavily condemned (because of the history of the country), so people are far less likely to 'just go there'.

Yeah - I'm not sure. But having watched Serie A for 15 years, it always appaled me how prevalent overt racism they were at times. It makes me think that Italy is sooo behind that it's emabarressing. Whereas countries like England, France, and Germany should be better than that. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I'm not sure. But having watched Serie A for 15 years, it always appaled me how prevalent overt racism they were at times. It makes me think that Italy is sooo behind that it's emabarressing. Whereas countries like England, France, and Germany should be better than that. 

Italy's not particularly diverse, is it?

To be fair, I think those countries are better, just not good enough

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Italy's not particularly diverse, is it?

To be fair, I think those countries are better, just not good enough

Yeah - they definitely aren't. My god the way they treated Balotelli is disgusting. 

Barnes spot on as usual on this topic. I'd like to see him given a prominent role in Kick It Out as they don't really seem to do much. Then again those organisations never do. 

If you have to resort to racism (especially to slate Pogba, someone who gives you a hundred reasons to despise the cunt every week), then I think you definitely have some deep rooted issues that need sorting out

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Vile. What century is this again?

I've had so many debates arguments in Italy with friends and family (curiously, the same in Spain) about this sort of thing. Not all, but most don't get it. They maintain that it's just to put the opposition player off and ironically they'll tell you the player should be thankful because it's a mark of respect from the fans because they're afraid of what the player can achieve.

I know, I know it's ridiculous, but try as you might to get beyond that point and go into all of the details of what this sort of thing actually means doesn't work because they'll return to the same point.

Then you have the more radical, those that actually feel what they're saying... They're called "liberalists" and we have that movement here in the UK now too, it's massive and they state it's freedom of expression under the freedom to state your mind verbally. But let's not take away or sway away from the focus of the issue to combat which is the first point.

Those that oppose this sort of thing will mostly just stay silent and the reason they do it goes back to the first point in that you can't get beyond the point no matter what you then want to go onto say.

Remember that politics feeds this... This is a fundamental point! With the death of political correctness (this counts for us here in the UK too) and modern politics actually enabling all of this (in Italy they have Salvini condoning or making excuses), then there is no way forward right now. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Considering Serie A and Italian Football as a whole didn’t do anything when Moise Kean was racially abused and actually disciplined Kean, why are we shocked? 

Well according to Souness the only reason Juventus could have sold Kean is because there's "probably something a bit wrong under the surface". Clear what he was implying and he got slated on social media for it.

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well according to Souness the only reason Juventus could have sold Kean is because there's "probably something a bit wrong under the surface". Clear what he was implying and he got slated on social media for it.

RIghtly so.

It's as if he forgot that if you leave a big club, doesn't mean you still can't make it as a player. Look at De Bruyne & Salah as prime examples. Left Chelsea but did that mean they were done as footballers? Nope. Just doesn't work out for them at clubs sometimes. They can still go on to be a good footballer and achieve something!

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Having played and managed in Italy, he’s probably aware of how Italian clubs were run in the 80’s and 90’s and if they’re this blasè towards racism in the 00’s that it’s not heavily criticised or on the front and back of Italian newspapers, I can only imagine what racism would have been like there in the 80’s and 90’s. 

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Stan said:

RIghtly so.

It's as if he forgot that if you leave a big club, doesn't mean you still can't make it as a player. Look at De Bruyne & Salah as prime examples. Left Chelsea but did that mean they were done as footballers? Nope. Just doesn't work out for them at clubs sometimes. They can still go on to be a good footballer and achieve something!

It's not even about other reasons.

The best comparison is that Cutrone left Milan this summer for Wolves and happens to be white, yet he said nothing about "why would Milan let him go?".

Yet with Moise Kean he makes out like there's attitude problems below the surface because why else would Juventus sell him? Neither him nor the other studio guest have done the research into how much Juventus have spent on De Ligt this summer or how much they pay Ronaldo a year.

There's a reason that this exists and has done for a long time before yesterday.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not even about other reasons.

The best comparison is that Cutrone left Milan this summer for Wolves and happens to be white, yet he said nothing about "why would Milan let him go?".

Yet with Moise Kean he makes out like there's attitude problems below the surface because why else would Juventus sell him? Neither him nor the other studio guest have done the research into how much Juventus have spent on De Ligt this summer or how much they pay Ronaldo a year.

There's a reason that this exists and has done for a long time before yesterday.

Oh I know, I fully agree. 

• The title was changed to Racism in Football