talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

On 20/11/2019 at 11:54, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.0fe942c7105556058c1b08ef7eb56c8d.png

Mark Sampson: Stevenage caretaker charged with using racist language by FA

Stevenage caretaker boss Mark Sampson has been charged with using racist language by the Football Association.

The ex-England Women manager, 37, had been subject to an FA investigation since September after an allegation by a former coach at the League Two club.

At the time Stevenage said the allegations had "no foundation".

Sampson was sacked by England in 2017 after evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players in a previous role.

Before his dismissal, Sampson had that year been cleared of wrongdoing following discrimination allegations made by England players, including then Chelsea and Lionesses striker Eniola Aluko.

The FA then apologised to Aluko and England team-mate Drew Spence for Sampson's racially discriminatory remarks after an independent barrister ruled he made unacceptable "ill-judged attempts at humour" on two occasions.

In January the FA reached a settlement with Sampson after an unfair dismissal case.

Former Bristol Academy boss Sampson has been charged with an "aggravated breach" of FA rule E3 and has until 6 December to respond.

According to PA Media, it is alleged the remark was aimed at a player during a conversation about transfer targets.

Sampson replaced Dino Maamria at Stevenage in September, with club chairman Phil Wallace backing him to become their permanent manager despite the Hertfordshire side being bottom of the fourth tier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50489424

I think it is pretty fair to say Sampson is definitely racist. That's two times now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I don't think Italy understands racism. Its like they took something serious and turned it into a joke although they may have not meant to do so. I saw the picture when I was scrolling through Twitter and I honestly thought it was a teaser for a new Planet of the Apes. 

On a side note, I think art and football are like oil and water. They can't do sculptures right, they cant do campaign art right and god knows what else (oh I know ... logo rebranding). Would it have hurt to just have a white banner with "SAY NO TO RACISM" on it versus a picture which can be misinterpreted? He may have done it to gain publicity too. If you're a player in a foreign country thinking about a move I guarantee you that Italy is the last place you want to go now and rightfully so, fuck them and fuck racism. 

Edited by Mel81x

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has used this lately or will see it, still figuring out how the site works!

But

I'm currently a uni student, studying racism in football. I have written a short (ish) blog about the current issues in our game

bit.ly/racism_blog

Would appreciate if you could give it a read (or at least skim it) and give me some discussion? Tell me what I could do better, what the FA and governing bodies could do better and what you think you could do better as well to help fight this issue!

Thanks!!!

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-51066328

A Manchester City supporter has been banned from football matches for five years for racially abusing Raheem Sterling.

Ian Baldry, 58, pleaded guilty to using racist language after Sterling scored in a Premier League match against Bournemouth in December 2018.

Baldry, from Bradford, told Manchester Magistrates' Court he had been excited and since regretted using the language.

He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service.

A witness said he "was shocked and offended", the court heard.

England attacker Sterling did not hear the comment at the time, although it was heard by a number of supporters, the court was told.#

A friend of Baldry, James McConell, 57, from Levenshulme in Manchester, also admitted racially abusing stewards and the Bournemouth player Tyrone Mings during the same match.

He is due to be sentenced later.

The men were reported to police by a fan who was at the game.

In a witness statement the supporter told police "it was disgusting in this day and age that this was going on".

He added: "I was shocked and offended and felt sick to my stomach when I heard it."

Passing sentence, Judge John Temperely told Baldry there was an increasing "prevalence of this kind of offence.

"The kind of language used by you and (your) co-accused risks wider public disorder in matches and could encourage others to behave in the same way."

Is it too much to ask that he be banned for life?! 5 years is a long time anyway.

Obviously racism is bad in any form directed to anyone but you have to be a different level of stupid to do it to your own player xD :dash3:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Four Cardiff fans arrested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51251551

Four Cardiff City fans were arrested for "alleged racially aggravated abuse" during Saturday's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Reading, Thames Valley Police said.

The four males have been released under investigation.

Two of the four, aged 15 and 24, are from Caerphilly, with a 16-year-old from Abergavenny and a 21-year-old from Crickhowell arrested too.

Thames Valley Police said: "The force will continue to work in partnership with the clubs and South Wales Police."

Warnings relating to the alleged incidents were issued via the public address system at Madejski Stadium.

On Saturday, Cardiff City said in a statement they were aware of the allegations.

"We will be speaking with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police - in attendance with our travelling support - to ascertain the facts of the matter," said the Bluebirds.

"We will conduct these conversations with the relevant authorities before making any further comment."

A Football Association spokesperson said the body is aware of the allegations and will also be investigating.

Does anyone remember when Jermaine Defoe bit Javier Mascherano while Mascherano was playing for West Ham.

Defoe only got a yellow card for the bite.

When you compare him to Suarez, do you think there was a bit of “racism” (more like xenophobia) in terms of how the FA treated the two incidents?

I don't remember that.

Although, I do remember some people getting upset and called racism when people joked that a footballer who'd transferred from the Chinese Super League may have coronavirus. 

The real mystery is figuring out where race and superiority is implied. But then you realise the footballer is black, so it genuinely makes you wonder if the one calling racism is racist themselves. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I find it bizarre how public nudity receives a harsher punishment than blatant racism 

Yeah - this doesn't make sense. I would argue that racism is a much harsher offense than grabbing your pecker and doing the helicopter in public. 

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Apparently according to Newcastle fans. 

I find it bizarre how public nudity receives a harsher punishment than blatant racism 

But they’re not the same thing and can’t be seen as comparable. It’s like when people compare prison sentences handed out when really, they’re two different offences. 

For what it’s worth, the weird fella should have a lifetime ban for getting his penis out. Frankly, it’s weird, it’s inappropriate and it’s in a place where there’s children around, which is more than enough reason for lifetime bans. 

As for the Wolves fan, he should have got a lifetime ban but the two incidents aren’t really comparable and are left to clubs to decide the punishments. 

• Administrator

Lifetime ban given to teenager by Bournemouth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51405507

Bournemouth have given a teenage fan a lifetime ban after he pleaded guilty to chanting racist abuse during a fixture at Tottenham in November.

Earlier on Thursday, a court imposed a three-year football banning order on the 17-year-old.

"Discrimination has no place in any area of society and these actions have absolutely no place at our football club," said a Bournemouth statement.

The teenager was also fined £55 plus a £21 surcharge.

Metropolitan Police inspector Matt Ashmead said: "We'll take robust action against those who are found to have committed these crimes during matches."

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Why only 4 years? 

Apparently this guy was 'banned indefinitely' by Wolves. 

A 12-year-old boy has been charged in connection with racist chants against Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos.

Police launched an investigation following allegations of abuse during the Scottish Premiership clash with Celtic on Sunday 29 December.

The boy cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Supt Mark Sutherland said that any form of abuse was "completely unacceptable" and that the force would continue to investigate any further claims.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51449162

12 years old ffs.

• The title was changed to Racism in Football