talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

31 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure things are any worse than before, it's just now recorded. These West Ham fans will have sung this for years, likewise Chelsea etc. I remember going to Stamford Bridge and hearing the Chelsea Ranger stuff when I was under 10, this isn't new it's just that we now have the means to record it. These people are so stupid they can't confine their bigotry to there own sordid little griefhole pubs where they will be surrounded by the likeminded, and will inevitably be caught doing it in public. Hopefully to the detriment of their careers and general life.

You're right mate. At Chelsea stuff like that has been sung for years and years.

I wouldn't say it's just the changes in technology and use of social media that's making it come to the surface though. Chelsea as a club are taking a much stronger stance on it and it's also getting coverage from journalists who are putting it more in the public eye. The club and people associated with it are doing more nowadays to eradicate it from the stands.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The fact that this stuff is getting routinely reported at last is a long overdue step in the right direction, but it will take years and years to rinse a significant proportion of the filth out of football culture. You'll never get rid of it entirely, of course.

• Subscriber

I think it shows how much people in general follow these daft trends and go to daft lengths to do so that there've been so many more incidents in the past couple of months than beforehand - it's like it took one incident for the debate to become a hot topic again and now everyone's trying to get in on it. Pathetic really.

I'm almost certain racism is on the rise among under 30s. A concoction of social media and the bizarre free for all goading environment that football is.

The topic tends to focus almost entirely on middle aged men who have enough wealth to go to Chelsea games.

On 14/04/2019 at 11:56, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure things are any worse than before, it's just now recorded. These West Ham fans will have sung this for years, likewise Chelsea etc. I remember going to Stamford Bridge and hearing the Chelsea Ranger stuff when I was under 10, this isn't new it's just that we now have the means to record it. These people are so stupid they can't confine their bigotry to there own sordid little griefhole pubs where they will be surrounded by the likeminded, and will inevitably be caught doing it in public. Hopefully to the detriment of their careers and general life.

On 14/04/2019 at 12:35, carefreeluke said:

You're right mate. At Chelsea stuff like that has been sung for years and years.

I wouldn't say it's just the changes in technology and use of social media that's making it come to the surface though. Chelsea as a club are taking a much stronger stance on it and it's also getting coverage from journalists who are putting it more in the public eye. The club and people associated with it are doing more nowadays to eradicate it from the stands.

Both of these combined... 

It was one thing to be singing racist chants and the like back in the day where it was almost impossible to counter 20 or 30 years ago but these days where everyone records almost everything in their daily lives the places to hide are becoming fewer and fewer, some of them are so dumb they even record themselves and post shit up on sites/social media which shows how thick some of these people are.. When there were fewer cameras at grounds and phones could only text these idiots felt safe in numbers like they were untouchable and so the trend continued and in a lot of cases grew stronger for being around like minded or weak minded/easily led people...

Both @RandoEFC @ @Spike touched on it in their posts, the problem is in society in general and even if we were to eventually eradicate it from the stands these people would just find other ways of funneling the hate in another direction... People that gather in large numbers like at football matches are just like a large group of very hostile protesters venting their hatred and frustration and while workplaces and the law are clamping down on almost anything negative relating to race or religion these hiding places are becoming fewer and fewer, it should no surprise to anyone that if enough like minded people can gather in one place each week then you are going to have serious problems.. 

It's a good thing that the clubs are at least trying to catch these idiots and ban them from football and it's going to be hard going but with video evidence and easier ways of identifying the culprits these situations are a lot easier to get to court and get convictions/lifetime bans for.. 

Edited by Bluewolf

On 15/04/2019 at 08:16, Harvsky said:

I'm almost certain racism is on the rise among under 30s. A concoction of social media and the bizarre free for all goading environment that football is.

The topic tends to focus almost entirely on middle aged men who have enough wealth to go to Chelsea games.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. Most young people I know are less racist than older people

• Subscriber

1844771295_download(1).thumb.png.8489094d72a6335fd6adfcdc961b9f99.png

Professional footballers to boycott social media for 24 hours in racism protest

Professional footballers in England and Wales are to boycott social media for 24 hours on Friday, to protest against the way social networks and football authorities respond to racism.

It follows a number of high-profile incidents in domestic and international matches this season.

Earlier this week, Manchester United captain Ashley Young was racially abused on Twitter.

And Watford captain Troy Deeney said, "enough is enough".

"On Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players - or anyone else - whether from the crowd or online, that we won't tolerate it within football," said Deeney, who disabled comments on his Instagram after abuse earlier this month.

"The boycott is just one small step, but the players are speaking out with one voice against racism."

How is football tackling racism on social media?

Racist chanting was directed at several England players including Danny Rose during a Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro last month - the Spurs defender later said he "can't wait to see the back of football".

"I don't want any future players to go through what I've been through in my career," said Rose. "Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse."

The #Enough campaign, organised by the Professional Footballers' Association, starts at 09:00 BST on Friday and runs until 09:00 BST on Saturday. Players have been encouraged to post a #Enough graphic on their social media platforms before the boycott.

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling added: "The time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels, taking responsibility for protecting the mental health of users regardless of age, race, sex or income."

The PFA said the boycott was the "first step in a longer campaign to tackle racism in football".

"The boycott acts as a show of unity by the players, and a call for stronger action to be taken by social networks and footballing authorities in response to racist abuse both on and off the pitch," the PFA said in a statement.

Young was abused after United's Champions League exit to Barcelona on Tuesday. Accounts identified in this case as violating Twitter's abusive behaviour policy have been prevented from posting again until the offending tweets have been removed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47982403

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Embarassing. Boycott social media! Come on, that is something a child can do. Have some balls and do something big!

I think they are doing it to try to make social media do more to stop it in their sites. It's quite big I think really it will take more but it is a start

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:16, Harvsky said:

I don't even think it's just the goading environment that football is - I play Rocket League on the xbox and I get called a nigger all the time on there by people I assume are just idiot children. I don't know if racism is on the rise in young people, or if a segment of the population are just racist and the internet has emboldened people into thinking open racism is alright. But I do think social media and the internet have played a big part in, at very least, amplifying the racist views in our society... if not actively spreading racism.

• Administrator

I get that they want to do something but not sure how a social media boycott for 24 hours works in the grand scheme of things? Is it going to make people less racist or eradicate their behaviour? I can't see that, myself. 

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't even think it's just the goading environment that football is - I play Rocket League on the xbox and I get called a nigger all the time on there by people I assume are just idiot children. I don't know if racism is on the rise in young people, or if a segment of the population are just racist and the internet has emboldened people into thinking open racism is alright. But I do think social media and the internet have played a big part in, at very least, amplifying the racist views in our society... if not actively spreading racism.

I'd be quite surprised if it was getting worse. It is still around but I think it was worse 20 years ago. I suppose it is possible it is on the rise but not as had as it was 20 years or so ago.

On 18/04/2019 at 17:01, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. Most young people I know are less racist than older people

Just a personal observation that I'm seeing more from young people at football than I did 5 or 10 years ago, no data just assumption. Those young people 5 or 10 years ago are not the old people of today. Or perhaps what I am seeing is a shift toward more vitriolic tones. That's not exclusive to those with inappropriate behaviour. Being aggressive and shouty with opinions is a trademark of being young so it may be due to the topics that vitriol is now channelled through, such as political correctness. Certainly one common theme not just of any age group but across the board is to see opposition vitriol and become vitriolic in return. Few see the high ground as somewhere occupied by manners anymore. 

Sterling suggested that if fans are racist, their club should get a 9 point deduction and have to play 3 matches behind closed doors.

The problem with that idea is it makes me want to buy a Man City shirt and sneak into the Etihad   so I can unfurl a racist banner in that City blue and win us the title. So I’m not sure that actually does anything to prevent racism 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

1025080311_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.b1f375e84019bb4adb7a5e9ae454effd.png

Players asked to send evidence of racist online abuse to PFA

_106591087_enoughtwitter.jpg

A number of players boycotted social media for 24 hours in protest at racist abuse

Players have been asked to send evidence of racist online abuse to the Professional Footballers' Association to demonstrate to governing bodies the severity of the issue.

The players' union will show the posts to the sports minister and a number of football bodies at a meeting in May.

Meetings with Twitter and Facebook have also been requested after a number of recent high-profile incidents.

Players were previously encouraged to boycott social media for 24 hours.

A PFA statement said on Thursday it was asking members to send any abuse they had received to an email address that has been set up.

The messages will be presented to leading figures in football, including the Football Association, anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out and Sports Minister Mims Davies, at the meeting at Wembley.

It follows the #Enough campaign, where players were encouraged to post a graphic containing the word 'Enough' on their social media platforms before boycotting it for 24 hours.

Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli, Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford and Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were among a number of players who took part.

Head of equalities Simone Pound said it was important to follow the boycott with "empowered action".

download.thumb.png.0c19d7a5965d2e22ee7418bb95ec41a0.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48055203

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/05/2019 at 05:48, Azeem said:

txADz9N.png

Paki is the new Aey-rab 

Tbh I don't think using Paki as a slur in the UK is anything particularly new - pretty sure Pakistani/Indian descent Brits have been called "Pakis" since well before I was born (which has to be particularly irritating if you're Indian and not Pakistani). But Dr. Zaf is right, racism isn't just a football problem (obviously).

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I don't think using Paki as a slur in the UK is anything particularly new - pretty sure Pakistani/Indian descent Brits have been called "Pakis" since well before I was born (which has to be particularly irritating if you're Indian and not Pakistani). But Dr. Zaf is right, racism isn't just a football problem (obviously).

But in this case the boy saying look daddy there some Pakis hints racism like who would say that look daddy there are some geordies 

14 minutes ago, Azeem said:

But in this case the boy saying look daddy there some Pakis hints racism like who would say that look daddy there are some geordies 

I think the boy saying that and the "attempted" scolding indicates that the father is a racist fuck. And that his usage and acceptance of slurs is probably going to pass down that racism to his son.

But yeah, no shit, it's hinting at racism. In fact, I wouldn't even say it's hinting at racism... it's a racial slur. Slurs are overtly racist. My comment wasn't saying "well saying Paki isn't racist, it's something English people have said for decades." It's me saying it's racism that's been engrained in British culture for decades, and racism is a societal problem that includes football, but reaches far beyond football as well.

For Dr. Zaf it's obviously going beyond football. He's taken his kids to a match of the club where he works as the club doctor... and he and his kids were called Pakis by a little boy raised by a racist. That clearly goes beyond football, that's impacting his family life - so it's not just impacting his job (because it's fans of the club he works at), but it's his young children being slurred as well.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Yes, I've heard some morons (the Jim Davidson type) say 'paki' is ok because it's just shortening like saying a 'brit', ignoring that it was used to describe anyone of south asian descent, and even middle eastern descent and became a word loaded with hate in the UK. No debating it is racist. There were times when it maybe wasn't such a hateful term, the use of 'paki shop' in Only Fools and Horses makes us wince now but I genuinely don't see it as having the same hatred within it, but the word has become owned by that now. 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

pretty sure Pakistani/Indian descent Brits have been called "Pakis" since well before I was born (which has to be particularly irritating if you're Indian and not Pakistani). 

Yep!! 

On 17/05/2019 at 21:58, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the boy saying that and the "attempted" scolding indicates that the father is a racist fuck. And that his usage and acceptance of slurs is probably going to pass down that racism to his son.

But yeah, no shit, it's hinting at racism. In fact, I wouldn't even say it's hinting at racism... it's a racial slur. Slurs are overtly racist. My comment wasn't saying "well saying Paki isn't racist, it's something English people have said for decades." It's me saying it's racism that's been engrained in British culture for decades, and racism is a societal problem that includes football, but reaches far beyond football as well.

For Dr. Zaf it's obviously going beyond football. He's taken his kids to a match of the club where he works as the club doctor... and he and his kids were called Pakis by a little boy raised by a racist. That clearly goes beyond football, that's impacting his family life - so it's not just impacting his job (because it's fans of the club he works at), but it's his young children being slurred as well.

I think if people knew the history they would understand why it is racist. It actually comes from the term paki bashing which came out when people use to go around and beat up Asians for no reason. I think some racism can come from ignorance especially with older people. 

55 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think some racism can come from ignorance especially with older people. 

And the thing is that it just has to be accepted under that very poor and lazy excuse for being permitted to be racist, xenophobic, anti-semitic, Islamophobic... Fuck it... A lazy bigot!

Why? Well unless one develops a biological difficulty to digest vocabulary and what it means, then being excused is just as lazy from us excusing them as it is for society to accept a crap reason for enablement.

• The title was changed to Racism in Football