talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sergio Aguero

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Who are your top 5, just out of interest? 

Henry, Bergkamp, Suarez, Rooney, Drogba. I would have added Van Persie instead of Drogba but he never had a long run of games due to injuries.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drogba wasn't a prolific striker. His hold up play was possibly the best the league has ever seen however. Got other players involved, particularly Lamps, in scoring goals. 

Henry, Shearer, and Aguero were prolific strikers. Henry the stand out given he had more to his game. 

Just depends what you criteria is for 'the best'. 

20 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'd only take Suarez over Aguero of that list. Sanchez, Van Persie and Costa are ludicrous.

Yeah probably not Van Perise as he was almost injured all the time but he showed what he is capable of when fit in the final season with Arsenal and the first season with Man Utd where he was the main driving force for them to win their 20th title with one of the shittiest squads.

Sanchez was a lot more effective and maybe im wrong in comparing him with Aguero as he is not a striker, however Sanchez, playing from the win, scored a plenty and was the main reason for Arsenal staying where they did in the table during his time there. His Man Utd career was poor though for various reasons. 

How can you not put Costa above Aguero, he is a joy for any manager to have in his team, big, strong, powerful and will score all types of goals, some of the finishes where he bullies the defenders with his strength were terrific. I wouldn't put him in the top 5 or anything since he never had a long career in the league  but would take him over Aguero any single given day. Costa is similar to Suarez in creating a goal scoring opportunity from nothing which Aguero lacks.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Drogba wasn't a prolific striker. His hold up play was possibly the best the league has ever seen however. Got other players involved, particularly Lamps, in scoring goals. 

Henry, Shearer, and Aguero were prolific strikers. Henry the stand out given he had more to his game. 

Just depends what you criteria is for 'the best'. 

Yes, he isnt as prolific as others, hence I didn't include him in my first post, I only put him in "my" top 5 list as a preference.

8 minutes ago, Asura said:

Yeah probably not Van Perise as he was almost injured all the time but he showed what he is capable of when fit in the final season with Arsenal and the first season with Man Utd where he was the main driving force for them to win their 20th title with one of the shittiest squads.

Sanchez was a lot more effective and maybe im wrong in comparing him with Aguero as he is not a striker, however Sanchez, playing from the win, scored a plenty and was the main reason for Arsenal staying where they did in the table during his time there. His Man Utd career was poor though for various reasons. 

How can you not put Costa above Aguero, he is a joy for any manager to have in his team, big, strong, powerful and will score all types of goals, some of the finishes where he bullies the defenders with his strength were terrific. I wouldn't put him in the top 5 or anything since he never had a long career in the league  but would take him over Aguero any single given day. Costa is similar to Suarez in creating a goal scoring opportunity from nothing which Aguero lacks.

Costa is a physical menace alright and a useful player to have, world class on his day but no chance is he as talented and useful as Aguero, Aguero is an elite finisher and I think you do him a disservice when saying he's a 'just a goalscoer' he can carry the ball well and beat players, if not as much as Suarez does.

Wow I think Costa's a decent player, but having him ahead of Aguero is mental imo. Aguero's one of the best strikers the league's ever seen - unbelievable consistency as well. I think he might get a bit overlooked because he does have a pretty bad injury record, but when he's healthy for most of a season he's always around the top of the scoring charts. And his goals to minutes ratio is fucking mental.

And what he's got that some other names mentioned don't have is longevity in his quality. I'd put him behind Henry and Shearer overall in terms of best strikers in the league. His record speaks for itself.

Shearer was the best goal scorer. I mean he could score any type of goal. Out and out goal scoring machine. That isn't to say he couldn't play either as he was an underrated footballer and one who anyone would enjoy playing with.

Bergkamp or Cantona(special shouts to Zola) were the best footballers.

Henry was the best allround. You could say Rooney was up there for his allround ability himself. He's no Henry, as that fella was special, but he always deserves a mention.

Suarez could have pipped them all if he'd done a lengthy stint and kept his head down. Likewise, so could C.Ronaldo if he had stayed at Man United and evolved in the same way he did at Real Madrid where he became another level of goal scoring machine.

Aguero obviously has his place himself. His goal to game ratio is as impressive as you'll see in the Prem, good allround footballer, consistent, had title winning moments, longevity....By the time he has retired, he will certainly be up there. Well he is already.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Basically, he's Giroud...

And that's not necessarily a dig at Drogba, it's just to highlight how underrated Giroud has been. (And works better in the current Chelsea team than Higuain)

5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Basically, he's Giroud...

And that's not necessarily a dig at Drogba, it's just to highlight how underrated Giroud has been. (And works better in the current Chelsea team than Higuain)

I agree with you - Giroud is underrated. He's treated like a joke when he's actually a pretty capable player. But Drogba was a better player than Giroud, it's not even questionable.

Drogba's first stint at Chelsea was almost a 1 goal every 2 matches - 100 goals in 229 appearances. Giroud at Arsenal 73 goals in 183 appearances. His hold up play was so much better and he used his physicality and speed better than most other forwards that played/play like him. Giroud's a good hold up striker, Drogba was a star player.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with you - Giroud is underrated. He's treated like a joke when he's actually a pretty capable player. But Drogba was a better player than Giroud, it's not even questionable.

Drogba's first stint at Chelsea was almost a 1 goal every 2 matches - 100 goals in 229 appearances. Giroud at Arsenal 73 goals in 183 appearances. His hold up play was so much better and he used his physicality and speed better than most other forwards that played/play like him. Giroud's a good hold up striker, Drogba was a star player.

Drogba's a better striker than Giroud but the comparison is a fairer one than comparing Drogba to Henry which used to be made a lot.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Shearer was the best goal scorer. I mean he could score any type of goal. Out and out goal scoring machine. That isn't to say he couldn't play either as he was an underrated footballer and one who anyone would enjoy playing with.

Bergkamp or Cantona(special shouts to Zola) were the best footballers.

Henry was the best allround. You could say Rooney was up there for his allround ability himself. He's no Henry, as that fella was special, but he always deserves a mention.

Suarez could have pipped them all if he'd done a lengthy stint and kept his head down. Likewise, so could C.Ronaldo if he had stayed at Man United and evolved in the same way he did at Real Madrid where he became another level of goal scoring machine.

Aguero obviously has his place himself. His goal to game ratio is as impressive as you'll see in the Prem, good allround footballer, consistent, had title winning moments, longevity....By the time he has retired, he will certainly be up there. Well he is already.

Similar to my top 5.

Aguero, Shearer, Henry, Rooney & probably Bergkamp or Owen. 

I didn't see enough of Cantona to include him. Literally all I remember of him is the chipped goal against Sunderland (?) and the flying-kick xD 

Hate the cunt, even tough it is never mentioned he is a dirty player. However his ability and his constant excellent form is without doubt. His goal scoring record also speaks volume, and in my opinion easily in the top 5 of the Premier League era of wonderful strikers.

• Subscriber

As an old man and one of the best for me in years gone by that no one has mentioned was Liverpool's Ian Rush, even a stint for playing with Juve then coming back to Anfield he just continued on where he left off...

Liverpool - 1980-86     109 goals

Juve - 1986-88    7 goals

Liverpool - 1988-1991   90 goals

But I still say Aguero is one of the best and I would have him at United any day as a striker with Bergkamp also.

Another player that caught my eye and could have been up there with the rest is Dimitar Berbatov when he first arrived at O/T from Spurs  but he was so frustrating to watch, he would play 3-4 games and was great then he would just disappear for the next 3-4 games, to laid back but on his day he scored some brilliant goals,    

22 hours ago, Stan said:

Similar to my top 5.

Aguero, Shearer, Henry, Rooney & probably Bergkamp or Owen. 

I didn't see enough of Cantona to include him. Literally all I remember of him is the chipped goal against Sunderland (?) and the flying-kick xD 

I always forget about Owen due to how quickly he fell off.

10 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

As an old man and one of the best for me in years gone by that no one has mentioned was Liverpool's Ian Rush, even a stint for playing with Juve then coming back to Anfield he just continued on where he left off...

Liverpool - 1980-86     109 goals

Juve - 1986-88    7 goals

Liverpool - 1988-1991   90 goals

But I still say Aguero is one of the best and I would have him at United any day as a striker with Bergkamp also.

Another player that caught my eye and could have been up there with the rest is Dimitar Berbatov when he first arrived at O/T from Spurs  but he was so frustrating to watch, he would play 3-4 games and was great then he would just disappear for the next 3-4 games, to laid back but on his day he scored some brilliant goals,    

Yeah but Rushie's best was pre-prem, so technically he's not one of the best premiership strikers ever. Even though he's obviously one of the best strikers to have played in the English top flight.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I always forget about Owen due to how quickly he fell off.

Given the age he started in the Liverpool side and then that goal in 98 against Argentina, he was the first prolific striker I really remember watching and enjoying watching. Shearer obviously around that time as well but he had different qualities to him as opposed to Owen. 

Archived