talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ugo Ehiogu Dies After Collapsing at Spurs Training Centre

I'm still quite shocked. When he collapsed I thought nothing more of it because he seemed like a healthy man mountain of a man that you could mistake for being younger than he actually was. To hear he's passed away is just, well it's shocking, there's no other word.

I always remembered him in the mid nineties to the mid naughties as being a solid, consistent, yet unspectacular beastly figure you could rely on if he was in your team to have a good game. He never got the plaudits of Southgate but I could imagine if he was at your club he would have been some sort of cult hero. That's emphasised in his block on the line in The Carling Cup final of 2004.

He was always Premiership quality. I think that was emphasised perfectly well when he went to Sheffield United at the end of his career and had an instant impact as they changed there season round and very nearly went up. But I think what we know now is how much he had to offer football off the pitch. That's seen with the devastation ex pros like Merson have suffered when talking about him, and the fact he's forged a coaching career for himself where he ended up at one of the best coaching setups at a club he had no playing affiliation with that has an excellent track record of developing players.

Rest In Peace to the big man. The World is clearly a worse off place without him.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived