talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-0 Porto - Tuesday 9th April, 2019 (QF 1st Leg)

Utter shite.

We're giving the ball away too easily. Had some good chances, but we need to put those away if we want to do something in this tie.

Don't think it was a penalty for us. The ball looked like it was already out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ASF said:

Utter shite.

We're giving the ball away too easily. Had some good chances, but we need to put those away if we want to do something in this tie.

Don't think it was a penalty for us. The ball looked like it was already out.

You look miles better than you did in the first leg last season, and that was against a Liverpool side that was very good but not as good as this one imo. So that's go to be good, and you're making chances - and you've won every home game in the CL. If you get an away goal, you've got a good shot of going through.

Scoreline wise, this has been pretty ideal so far. Early goal and a cushion goal. Hopefully we can keep Porto out still. Obviously more goals for us would be better too, if we could have it out of reach before the away leg that would make things a lot more comfortable.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You look miles better than you did in the first leg last season, and that was against a Liverpool side that was very good but not as good as this one imo. So that's go to be good, and you're making chances - and you've won every home game in the CL. If you get an away goal, you've got a good shot of going through.

Scoreline wise, this has been pretty ideal so far. Early goal and a cushion goal. Hopefully we can keep Porto out still. Obviously more goals for us would be better too, if we could have it out of reach before the away leg that would make things a lot more comfortable.

Well, we learned our lesson last season: not to play such a high line against this Liverpool side. 

You seem to be in first gear still. Good thing you're thinking of the game next weekend. 

Just now, ASF said:

Well, we learned our lesson last season: not to play such a high line against this Liverpool side. 

You seem to be in first gear still. Good thing you're thinking of the game next weekend. 

It's sort of been a trend in our matches as of late, we never really take it into a high gear until pretty late. Dunno if it's intentional or what, but that's how it's felt lately.

• Subscriber

While I think we did well we have to expect Porto to score at home now. We got slow and a bit lazy when the second half started and tbf to Marega he did a lot with the little he was shown. Trent looked a bit off pace today and its good that we didn't have to worry because Henderson, Keita and Fabinho all did very well in the midfield to stifle any kind of forward passes from them. 

On a side note, doesn't Marega look a bit like Hasselbaink?

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

While I think we did well we have to expect Porto to score at home now. We got slow and a bit lazy when the second half started and tbf to Marega he did a lot with the little he was shown. Trent looked a bit off pace today and its good that we didn't have to worry because Henderson, Keita and Fabinho all did very well in the midfield to stifle any kind of forward passes from them. 

On a side note, doesn't Marega look a bit like Hasselbaink?

Yeah, good to know I'm not the only one who thought this.

Our midfield played very well today. Pretty pleased with that. Not really pleased about how we sort of just coasted after the second goal... but job done with no away goal conceded.

Fully expect Porto to be really up for the home match though. It's not like they're out of this, even though we've given ourselves a nice advantage. Gonna hope we can grab an away goal on a counter early on in the next leg to hopefully ease the squads nerves so they can see it out.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Years ago this would be job done but with all these mental comebacks you can't write it off. I'd be surprised if this Liverpool side conceded 3 or more without scoring a couple themselves though. 

I don't think this thing is done at all. They had chances tonight and they just couldn't convert them. Rushed the ball all over the pitch instead of trying to slow it down and overloaded the box unnecessarily early on which cost them on the counter as well. I don't think they'll make the same mistakes in the second leg but with the way teams have comeback this season (as you pointed out) anything is possible here.

7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Years ago this would be job done but with all these mental comebacks you can't write it off. I'd be surprised if this Liverpool side conceded 3 or more without scoring a couple themselves though. 

Yeah a third for us would have put the tie to bed. 2-0 in the first leg at home you have to take though. You fancy us to score over there

Umm most coaches/fans seem to forget the away goal rule. U don't think Liverpool will score 1 at Porto?  

(If not the refs will make sure)

Someone said Liverpool has been lucky at both ends.  It seems it is their year.  The own goal late vs Tottenham and the deflection goal here...maybe it is  

this one was done and dusted at the time of the draw quite frankly 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Just seen the Salah incident. Surprised even VAR didn't say it was a red :o

Any chance he's actually planting his foot to make a turn rather than launching a challenge...?

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Any chance he's actually planting his foot to make a turn rather than launching a challenge...?

Nah, not for me. Even if that was the case, he's missed the ball and studs on shin is usually some kind of offence, even a yellow. 

• The title was changed to Liverpool 2-0 Porto - Tuesday 9th April, 2019 (QF 1st Leg)
4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Was the Salah incident even reviewed? I thought they were reviewing an earlier incident (might have been the possible Lovren handball).

Yeah it was reviewed. VAR can’t give yellows though and I think review they decided it wasn’t a red (maybe because Salah was leading with that leg before Danilo dove in, so Danilo getting caught only happened from him diving in - also Danilo didn’t really make a scene); idk if I agree with their decision.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it was reviewed. VAR can’t give yellows though and I think review they decided it wasn’t a red (maybe because Salah was leading with that leg before Danilo dove in, so Danilo getting caught only happened from him diving in - also Danilo didn’t really make a scene); idk if I agree with their decision.

This isn't directed towards you but I don't like it when people generally say 'he didn't make a scene/he didn't make a meal of it' so therefore the offending player should be punished. 

That's exactly why players do go down sometimes making a meal of it because they wouldn't get the decision otherwise. Not saying it's right but if they genuinely get fouled but don't make a meal of it and because of that, a referee doesn't give a free-kick, I think that's unfair. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived