talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How well do you handle being shouted at?

football forum

I was watching SAS who dares wins earlier. What I found interesting was there was this women on there who really struggled with being shouted at. I'm a bit like that. I actually really like disciplined really organised environments but I do struggle with being shouted at. Probably due to self esteem and confidence issues 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I fucking hate it. Just can't stand people shouting in general; it gets me agitated. I never shout at anyone myself and won't ever tolerate anyone shouting at me. Special forces training is different as they put you through it all for a reason; but there's absolutely no reason for it in regular life and relationships as there are by far better ways to instill discipline and solve conflicts.

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

I fucking hate it. Just can't stand people shouting in general; it gets me agitated. I never shout at anyone myself and won't ever tolerate anyone shouting at me. Special forces training is different as they put you through it all for a reason; but there's absolutely no reason for it in regular life and relationships as there are by far better ways to instill discipline and solve conflicts.

I work in a kitchen so shouting does sometimes happen. I don't think it really archives anything in regular jobs. It's necessary in the army but not in regular jobs in don't think

I have not had a lot of that in my time to be honest.. I have been around people that are shouters but not been directly shouted at that I can remember, I am sure there must of been a time in my younger years but can't recall anything.. If I did I have plenty of ways of putting them down.. normally shouters make me laugh if anything, just agitates them more, I probably have more issues with my Daughters who are certainly vocally loud when having one of their many, many meltdowns and always have to remind them that I am actually standing next to them and not down the end of the garden... 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I work in a kitchen so shouting does sometimes happen. I don't think it really archives anything in regular jobs. It's necessary in the army but not in regular jobs in don't think

Where I work I have an environment where it's noisy in places so shouting is part and parcel of the job if you want to be heard but there is a difference in being in a situation where being loud/shouting is part of the job and being shouted at directly in a one on one situation... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair I can understand someone losing patience and raising their voice in certain situations; working in a busy kitchen environment can definitely be very stressful and it's important to make sure everyone's doing what they supposed to but I agree that it doesn't really achieve anything long term. When I see people losing control and shouting like rabid dogs I think they're just fucking mental and that makes me want to twat them across the face with a brick. 

I've only been shouted at once at work... but it was when I was a kid working for my dad and my brother and I were fucking around making cocks out of dough, so fair enough probably deserved to get shouted at there. At my current job, I've not been shouted at by my boss did shout at some woman who'd made a pretty minor (and easily fixable) mistake that nobody outside the company saw... and it was in front of our whole team. And I really didn't like that, thought a lot less of my boss afterwards.

It's not very professional in most settings, imo. And I don't think it's a great leadership technique or very motivational to publicly berate someone and humiliate them in front of their peers. She cried, it was really sad and pretty fucked up.

With the SAS training though, they should get used to the shouting because that's just part of the job. Not gonna be able to use your inside voices when you're getting shot at and hand grenades going off xD - I think in some situations, you've got to get used to shouting (both shouting itself and being shouted at) because it's part of the environment you're in.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

my boss did shout at some woman who'd made a pretty minor (and easily fixable) mistake that nobody outside the company saw... and it was in front of our whole team. And I really didn't like that, thought a lot less of my boss afterwards.

It's not very professional in most settings, imo. And I don't think it's a great leadership technique or very motivational to publicly berate someone and humiliate them in front of their peers. She cried, it was really sad and pretty fucked up.

That sounds a pretty shit thing to do... she should have slapped his face, that would have put him on the back foot.. no job anywhere is worth that treatment.. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

With the SAS training though, they should get used to the shouting because that's just part of the job. Not gonna be able to use your inside voices when you're getting shot at and hand grenades going off xD - I think in some situations, you've got to get used to shouting (both shouting itself and being shouted at) because it's part of the environment you're in.

It's also a big part of psychological training where they deliberately put you through high levels of stress to prepare you to cope with it, work under it and get you used to following orders in stressful situations instead of just freezing up in fear etc.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've only been shouted at once at work... but it was when I was a kid working for my dad and my brother and I were fucking around making cocks out of dough, so fair enough probably deserved to get shouted at there. At my current job, I've not been shouted at by my boss did shout at some woman who'd made a pretty minor (and easily fixable) mistake that nobody outside the company saw... and it was in front of our whole team. And I really didn't like that, thought a lot less of my boss afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

That sounds a pretty shit thing to do... she should have slapped his face, that would have put him on the back foot.. no job anywhere is worth that treatment.. 

Had a boss like that once and while I was never on the receiving end of it, he would go completely ballistic on people even for the smallest mistake; usually because he was having a bad day or was in a bad mood and didn't like those people in the first place. So yeah, everyone basically thought he's a cunt and at least three people quit as a result of it. Definitely very unprofessional and not a good work atmosphere at all.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Honestly, it was shocking and I don’t know how she didn’t quit right on the spot. I’m glad she didn’t because she’s sound and excellent at her job.

Pretty much everyone rallied around her though and I’m pretty sure HR was involved somehow afterwards, because I had to write a statement of the incident and a few of us were also asked to. So maybe that made her feel a bit more comfortable about the situation

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly, it was shocking and I don’t know how she didn’t quit right on the spot. I’m glad she didn’t because she’s sound and excellent at her job.

Pretty much everyone rallied around her though and I’m pretty sure HR was involved somehow afterwards, because I had to write a statement of the incident and a few of us were also asked to. So maybe that made her feel a bit more comfortable about the situation

Workplace bullying that is... don't know when it happened but hope he got his arse chewed.. 

Depends. If its something personal, ie. someone I care about then I think I would react very poorly to being shouted at, though I can't remember when that last happened.

If it's a rando, then I think I'm quite good at brushing it off. I worked in Primark for a year and had to deal with all sorts of melts complaining about whatever shit they could think of and it's really quite easy to take when you realise you're not being shouted at as a person, but rather as the faceless appendage of a shithouse corporation.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Depends. If its something personal, ie. someone I care about then I think I would react very poorly to being shouted at, though I can't remember when that last happened.

If it's a rando, then I think I'm quite good at brushing it off. I worked in Primark for a year and had to deal with all sorts of melts complaining about whatever shit they could think of and it's really quite easy to take when you realise you're not being shouted at as a person, but rather as the faceless appendage of a shithouse corporation.

My youngest daughter used to get a lot of stuff there and called it 'Primarny' because she said it made it sound more upmarket... xD

• Administrator

During an eviction at work I was shouted at and racially abused in the process. 

Being such a laid back person (and with it being recorded by our lone-worker devices we wear) there really was no need to respond or react to the vitriol we received from this woman. I don't shout at anyone these days which is surprising given the amount we get shouted at every now and then in our line of work. 

I just think there are better ways to converse with someone without raising your voice when they're only a few feet away from you (if that) or down the other end of the phone. Have learnt over time the best way to get someone to calm down and bring them down to a more reasonable noise level is just keep calm, assured and not go up to their level because they just exacerbates the situation. So I'd say that I react quite maturely/professionally to being shouted at. 

51 minutes ago, Stan said:

During an eviction at work I was shouted at and racially abused in the process. 

Being such a laid back person (and with it being recorded by our lone-worker devices we wear) there really was no need to respond or react to the vitriol we received from this woman. I don't shout at anyone these days which is surprising given the amount we get shouted at every now and then in our line of work. 

I just think there are better ways to converse with someone without raising your voice when they're only a few feet away from you (if that) or down the other end of the phone. Have learnt over time the best way to get someone to calm down and bring them down to a more reasonable noise level is just keep calm, assured and not go up to their level because they just exacerbates the situation. So I'd say that I react quite maturely/professionally to being shouted at. 

That's a more mature response than I would have done. I've never been racially abused, probably because I look pretty white, but I remember when some twat said some pretty hateful shite to my mum and the response that cunt got from my brother and I was far less mature and reasonable than your own response. And they didn't even shout the racial abuse.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's a more mature response than I would have done. I've never been racially abused, probably because I look pretty white, but I remember when some twat said some pretty hateful shite to my mum and the response that cunt got from my brother and I was far less mature and reasonable than your own response. And they didn't even shout the racial abuse.

Funnily enough if someone did say something out of turn to my family or friends I think I'd kick off more than if it was to myself xD

• Subscriber

No, I don't like being shouted at and if someone shouted at me I would shout back as others said you can communicate with someone who is in the wrong by talking in a normal manner and get your point across.

In my army days being shouted at by an NCO or an Officer was part and parcel of service life and you could not retaliate but just stand there saying "Yes sir, no sir..." but under your breath, you would be saying "Bastard... I'de love to kick the shit out of you!!" and that was as far as you could go but maybe if it was an NCO after duty in the NAAFI or pub having a pint then you could give back as much as he gave you or end up kicking the shit out of each other.

I have a very deep voice and if our youngest grandson Kaiden is misbehaving as he can be a little terror sometimes I will raise my voice and he behaves but the wife has the knack of talking to him quietly and he will behave, the wife is always telling me and our daughter "Stop shouting at him, there is no need to yell, just tell him in a quiet way..." and it's bloody annoying as he then will behave...Wife 1-0 me and our daughter O.o

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Imagine having to put up with Gordon Ramsay?

He's a prick I think. There's actually a lot of chefs who don't like him and think he gives the industry a bad name. There's a difference between discipline and being a cunt

Archived