talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Danny Drinkwater

• Administrator

Got done for drink-driving. 

Maybe should stick to doing what his surname is. 

Dare I say he's been hanging around Marcus Alonso too much :ph34r:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Danny is to Chelsea what Andy Carroll was to us. Waste of money and a waste of time. While it might be argued that the latter did go on to get marginally better after the transfer I still don't think he's anywhere close to what he was for Newcastle.

Shoulda drank water instead.

Seriously though, what an idiot. You’re making millions, in his case, not even to play football just turn up to training really. You’re not going to hire someone to take you home? Not even an Uber? Cheap twat.

• Subscriber

Indefensible. Absolute idiot.

Did not see this transfer going quite this spectacularly badly. They've got good grounds surely to terminate his contract and then what? I actually don't think we'd even bother now.

Awful move for Chelsea. Awful move for Drinkwater.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Indefensible. Absolute idiot.

Did not see this transfer going quite this spectacularly badly. They've got good grounds surely to terminate his contract and then what? I actually don't think we'd even bother now.

Awful move for Chelsea. Awful move for Drinkwater.

He'd probably be doing OK in terms of playing time if Conte was still here as he's more suited to Conte's style. With Sarri coming in it was almost certain he'd be out of favour. As I've said previously on here though it makes no sense to spend all that money on Drinkwater, a player more suited to Conte's football, for a new manager with a different style to come in just under a year later. Nice forward thinking there.

As for the player himself, looks to just be taking care of his personal life off the pitch really and preparing for the future, restaurant and what not. As for the drink driving, awful stuff.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He'd probably be doing OK in terms of playing time if Conte was still here as he's more suited to Conte's style. With Sarri coming in it was almost certain he'd be out of favour. As I've said previously on here though it makes no sense to spend all that money on Drinkwater, a player more suited to Conte's football, for a new manager with a different style to come in just under a year later. Nice forward thinking there.

As for the player himself, looks to just be taking care of his personal life off the pitch really and preparing for the future, restaurant and what not. As for the drink driving, awful stuff.

I do think we sold him at the right time as he'd just gone right off the boil with us. He's seemingly never recovered it either although has never been in a great position to be able to as he's not had much of a run.

I think he's good enough for this league but he's probably going to have to join a Burnley or Brighton at this rate and I think he's better than that personally. He wouldn't get in our side at the minute that's for sure.

Sarri's press conference was basically all about Drinkwater.

Whilst I agree with Sarri's comments, they could perhaps be a bit of a poor thing to say to the player. Every player should be given a chance to show their worth and the opportunity to adapt. Maybe Sarri's level of English didn't help the situation and maybe it was meant to come across in a different way. Drinkwater used to be the forgotten man until this week.

Drinkwater was purchased as an option for us to team him with Kante, his partner at Leicester during their PL winning season. Having already taken Kante for a fraction of his real value from Leicester and his outstanding contribution to our own PL winning season that year, it would seem a fair idea to bring Drinkwater to the club. Drinkwater managed game time under Conte who would sometimes set up his teams with two holding midfielders, but as we have found out this past week, Sarri told him at the start of the season he is not in his plans. This bares out through this season as Sarri has the one holding player who gets over run in most games. Making this "not in his plans" public is another proof of poor management by Sarri, who has been far too open with the media.

The buzz around the ground in the early part of the season was Drinkwater did not want to give up his contract as his wages were far better than at Leicester and asked to stay to fight for his place. Loans were turned down and a possible move back to Leicester was muted.

This looks to be a wasted season for Drinkwater, who I guess will stick around till he finds out if we are to have a new manager next season.

I don't think telling a player 'you don't suit this system, so you won't get game time' is necessarily good management but we don't know how the real conversation went and what their relationship has been like throughout the season.

For me, Drinkwater doesn't suit the current system at all which doesn't mean he can't play and try to adapt but we've also got a lot of squad depth in the midfield positions so it's difficult for him. Under Conte, he''s perfect, Sarri no.

I find it baffeling how he thinks Drinkwater doesn't suit the system but Alonso does. 

Drinkwater by no means is a terrible footballer. On the contrary I think he could've done a good job rotating with Joriginho. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I find it baffeling how he thinks Drinkwater doesn't suit the system but Alonso does. 

Drinkwater by no means is a terrible footballer. On the contrary I think he could've done a good job rotating with Joriginho. 

Because the alternatove for Alonso is Emerson

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Drinkwater is a decent enough passer but I don't think he moves the ball quick enough to play the role. Technically he doesn't play at the right speed in my opinion. Not to say Drinkwater can't adapt but I would rather see Kovacic given more time there.

• 3 months later...

As expected, set to stay given no buyer would match his wages. 

Ive said it so many times before but this signing alone is a sackable offence. Read somewhere he’s earned 12 million quid since his last competitive appearance for us. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

As expected, set to stay given no buyer would match his wages. 

Ive said it so many times before but this signing alone is a sackable offence. Read somewhere he’s earned 12 million quid since his last competitive appearance for us. 

That's sickening. 

And to think that Winston Bogarde will still be the most memorable metaphor for lucrative laziness... at least it took him a full four years of nothing to earn his £9 million.

• Subscriber

Really is a shame seeing what a mess he's made of it. I wouldn't be shocked if he never kicks a ball in the PL again.

Said all throughout last season our fans were wrong to say bring him back. We've moved on to better now.

Archived