talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

To me the only problem with the movie, message-wise, is that people are missing the point that the Joker is the result of a combination of societal failings alongside a narcissistic personality. It's not just society. 

It isn't the abuse or the poverty which makes Joker crave public admiration and approval, but the combination of that personality type with his surroundings, is what drives him over the edge. And it leads to him attacking legitimate points of authoirty, as well complete innocents and bystanders. 

I thought the movie made that adequately clear, that Arthur is a narcissist and is mistreated by society and slowly morphs into a murderer. 

The only fault with this movie is:

that it doesn't explicitly convey the message that his actions were wrong. Especially more so when they have no good character like Batman. They gave Arthur a passing dialogue of 'I don't believe in anything'. They could have done more than that. Even if they had kept Thomas Wayne as a good guy, which he usually is in other movies, it could have had a little effect. Instead they even made Alfred a prick. 

Look how well Gone Girl's Amy and Nick were portrayed. We came out of that movie knowing fully well how both of them were arseholes. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

Don't think they needed to because we all know murder is wrong. 

Speak for yourself, but I left the film knowing fully well that Arthur had finally turned turned mad. We knew what he was doing was wrong. Being sympathetic with him however shouldn’t be an error on the films writers. I actually found it brilliant writing that they made us sympathise with him. 

Edited by Cicero

It’s weird they made Thomas Wayne a prick though. 

I actually think that any depth and meaning from this film are accidental. Todd Phillips is not a man of great substance, and in this first properly serious directing gig he has pretty much merged Taxi Driver with King Of Comedy. I think he is REALLY lucky to have such a master in Phoenix play the role, because with a lesser actor the problems with the film wouldn’t be getting ignored by the masses like they have. 

Wait and see, Todd Phillips next film will not be nearly as well received. Don’t rate him. 

Edited by Rick

On 09/10/2019 at 18:36, Cicero said:

I find it astounding that in this day in age, people still refuse to try and ‘understand’ these types of people. The biggest outlash for JOKER was that it tried to sympathise with the villain, in order to make it look like it was society that betrayed him. 

Hilarious how people either refuse or are in denial that this in most cases, is true. 

It’s a unique dive into a mentally ill person’s psyche, and the events that drove him into ultimate madness. As if learning and understanding what brought him to this behavior, won’t help us spot it before it goes to far. 

Second that, and even worse is that people say ' just get over it, there are people with bigger problems than you ' when these kind of people are in the early stages of their mental problems.

Edited by Stick With Azeem

Beautiful Boy - 8/10 

I feel this film could have been a lot better if the director had made the film a bit more urgent. Despite that, you definitely feel the emotion of it all. Chalamet is just brilliant, again. Carrell smashes it too. 

• Subscriber

Eli (2019) classed as a horror but spooky as fuck, the wife was shitting bricks watching it I would give it an 8/10 with the wives reaction.

A boy receiving treatment for his auto-immune disorder discovers that the house he's living in isn't as safe as he thought.

In the Tall Grass.

Well, you just knew it was going to be a shitter 20mins in. It had that vibe about it the minute it started to go a bit 'weird'.

But there is a part of you that feels you have to stick with it because you don't know what the fuck is actually going on and you want an explanation.

When you do kinda realise how it's happening, it's all a bit of an anti-climax, you moan at your other half for wasting an hour on a terrible choice (again) but to save face and an arguement, you see it to through to the end.

Honestly? 2/10. Garbage. Thank god the next pick lays with me.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber

Joker - 9/10 I agree with what alot of you guys said, the film is almost perfect. I loved the bit about dipping in and out of sanity with the girl and the Wayne thing and the whole reveal about his childhood brining it full circle. Phoenix it goes without saying is fantastic, I can still hear is creeping awkward laugh in between the punchlines at the comedy club dear god there where some cringe/uncomfortable moments. Brilliantly executed in the end, makes me want to go back and watch the dark night again now.

• Subscriber

The Dark Night - 8.5/10 My feelings didnt change after rewatching it. Heath Ledgers Joker didnt get any less impressive, the nuances he adds to the role are just perfect. My main complaint remained; its just too long. The rise and fall of two face felt ok as far as the story goes but just didnt need to be there and was too quick, if they cut it entirely or left it for another film you could chop it to a shade over 2 hours and Id be happier. Anyways overall very good movie, the story, the action, the acting still holds up for me. 

• Subscriber

Within (2016) - Horror/Thriller.

Started off slow then got better, it did have the wife on the edge of the sofa but the end bit was a bit of a letdown but worth a watch if you like Horror/Thriller type movies.

8.0/10 for me

A thriller centred around a widower who moves into a seemingly perfect new home with his daughter and new wife

Edited by CaaC (John)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/10/2019 at 21:24, CaaC (John) said:

Eli (2019) classed as a horror but spooky as fuck, the wife was shitting bricks watching it I would give it an 8/10 with the wives reaction.

Hide contents

A boy receiving treatment for his auto-immune disorder discovers that the house he's living in isn't as safe as he thought.

A few people have told me the first half an hour is good. But the last 30 minutes takes a different direction which spoils the movie. Did you like it? 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, MUFC said:

A few people have told me the first half an hour is good. But the last 30 minutes takes a different direction which spoils the movie. Did you like it? 

I wouldn't say it was a classic horror and yes, it did lose its way coming towards the end but a lot of movies are like that and as I said I gave it a 8/10 because the wife kept hiding her eyes and giving the odd "Ohhhh..." and jumping, otherwise I would give it a 5/10. 

The King (2019)

I've been waiting a LONG time for this film, and I was not disappointed. Great dialogues, beautiful cinematography, and great acting performances of course first and foremost by Timothée Chalamet, who keeps impressing me in every movie he is in. The depiction of the Battle of Agincourt was powerful and felt real. It's not a big action "battle" movie, and more about the political side of things, but a great flick for people interested in history. I was engaged the whole way. Usually I find myself checking my phone or so when watching a movie, but not with this. 

8/10

Watched Official Secrets, and I am surprised that this movie is not talked about more. It's a well made flick. It's based on Katherine Gun who got in trouble for leaking the memo on Iraq war.

Also watched Virus. An Indian flick on the Nipah virus outbreak in the south of the country. Had me on the edge. @Mel81x did you watch this?