talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I thought this was extremely dull, I'm not going to lie. I saw it through to the end but it was a hard watch.

Where as, Three Billboards was quite the opposite and praise fully justified.

I saw Sound of Metal last night. Now that was decent. It's on Amazon Prime at the moment about a drummer (Riz Ahmed from The Night Of - very good!) in a heavy metal group who loses his hearing and struggles to adapt to his new life being deaf.

It's very thought provoking, especially with the artistic use of sound in the film to emphasise what the character and people in real life have to go through in this situation. It really made you feel n his headspace and my heart goes out to anyone that has to go through stuff like that.

7.9/10

After some thought my score is dropping to at least a 6, maybe even a 5.9. 

• Subscriber

Red Cliff (2008/2009)

Absolutely brilliant. Watched the original two-part version (instead of the shorter cut), almost 5 hours in total. Thoroughly enjoyed it; thought the pacing was spot on, was not bored for even a second of it. Fun action scenes choreography (even if some of the fighters are made to look like some Wuxia superheroes at times), great soundtrack, decent character development, some great acting, and visually stunning too. Love the epic scale of it; John Woo did a pretty good job portraying The Three Kingdoms period.

8.5/10

• Upvote 1

1917 (2019)

I've been meaning to watch this movie for a long time now. Finally got around to it. Well, great film. On the edge of your seat stuff most of the time. I was surprised that George MacKay who played the lead role was actually British. He played such a convincing American southerner in 11.22.63. Also it goes to show you that this was a great project because it had so many famous actors in relatively small roles. :o The cinematography was sometimes gorgeous as well. Really well crafted movie. It was also nice to see a World War I movie for a change, as it feels like they covered everything about WWII by now. 

8/10

40 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I plan on watching 1917 this weekend myself actually, one of those films that I'm really excited for but just haven't got round to watching yet. 

One of those films that you know heading into it will be a 9/10.

Maybe a 9.2 even? :35_thinking:

• Sad 1

Joker - 9/10

Watched it a 2nd time and I now disagree with many who merely think Phoenix made the film. The plot itself is Oscar worthy.

President Reagan repealing the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980, which led to most mental hospitals not receiving any funding. Arthur succumbing to his illness, dealing with his inner demons only worsening when society itself drives Arthur mad. I think its a brilliant piece of film and the critics can fuck themselves.  The film accurately reflects that mental illness is not well understood and can represent something unpredictable. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 2

Everything about Joker is perfect, one of the few films that I would genuinely give 10/10. It's the only film to date too that I've literally been on the edge of my seat for throughout too, I was unbelievably hooked in the cinema.

The only thing that I would have changed is if

the nurse at the end had "H.Quinn" or something on her uniform, as a nod to how the Joker meets Harley, and she becomes obsessed with him. Would have been a nice little Easter Egg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I don't have the words for you Tommy. 

Likes Lance Stroll, dislikes Joker - don't trust him.

I thought it was okay. Found it very underwhelming in the end after all the hype it got. 

35 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I thought it was okay. Found it very underwhelming in the end after all the hype it got. 

To be honest I can get that in a sense, I watched it as soon as it came out so didn't really know how it was being received, I suppose if you go in expecting the best thing since sliced bread it can only be as you expected or worse. 

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

To be honest I can get that in a sense, I watched it as soon as it came out so didn't really know how it was being received, I suppose if you go in expecting the best thing since sliced bread it can only be as you expected or worse. 

I didn't expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I expected more. I don't think it portrayed mental illness very well. And the whole cruel world against this poor mental ill guy was just kind of over the top. 

It was beautifully directed though, and Joaquin Phoenix was great as always. 

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

Well that was entertaining. Christian Bale is one of my favourite actors, so seeing him portraying a racing driver was really special. And the movie was really entertaining. The racing scenes were beautiful, and it had some absolutely awesome shots of beautiful cars. I don't know how close the movie is to the true story, but a quick Wikipedia read told me most of it was kind of true. One of the best motor racing movies I've ever seen. 

8.5/10

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Watched this AGAIN with the wife, we love this western musical and to me, it's a 10/10, Doris Day & Howard Keel in Calamity Jane (1953). 

All the songs are great but this is my favourite. :x

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber

Watched Heat, I remember watching it as a hyper teenager who wasn't paying attention to it at the cinema. At 16 we managed to get into an 18 with fake ID - 9/10.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Watched Heat, I remember watching it as a hyper teenager who wasn't paying attention to it at the cinema. At 16 we managed to get into an 18 with fake ID - 9/10.

Heat is an all time classic. Masterclass performances from both De Niro and Pacino. 

• Upvote 2