talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

14 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Matt Damon is the wrong guy for the role, not a fan of Adam driver for that role either.   interesting story having learned about de courouges exploits in the crusades.

Thought they were both fine personally but I understand the criticism. 

On 01/01/2022 at 16:02, Tommy said:

The Last Duel (2021)

Ridley Scott movie based on a true story. Very interesting storytelling. 

So there's Sir Jean de Carrouges, played by Matt Damon. His wife, Margueritte de Carrouges, played by Jodie Comer, and this Squire, Jacques Les Gris, played by Adam Driver, who was once best friends with Jean de Carrouges. 

Allegedly Jacques des Gris raped Margueritte. And those best friends end up in a Duel to Death (that's how the movie starts initially). 

And then there are three chapters. 

The story told from Jean de Carrogues' perspective. 

The story told from Jacques Les Gris' perspective.

And the story told from Margueritte de Carrouges' perspective. 

The nuances and differences in the three chapters, because they are all told from someone elses perception, are really interesting and very well written. The acting is also excellent. 

And the Duel that they then show again in the end is absolutely breathtaking. 

Also, Ben Affleck plays his best role in probably 20 years in this! xD

Oh yea, this was the first movie were Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote a script together again since Good Will Hunting. 

And you gotta applaud Ridley Scott. The man is 85 years old and still drops bangers like this. 

8/10

I don't know if I had posted this on here but I felt insulted when it came to Margueritte's story. I really felt like it was condescending and 'tell, don't show' when it said 'The Truth' as if I couldn't come to that conclusion on my own. It is a good movie but I don't know why that bothered me so much, it felt infantile compared to rest of the story and it's only on the screen for a second. I must just really hate it when film goes out of it's way to hand hold and explain things to the audience.

I also hated the costumes and lighting of the movie. Dark, grey, brown, and shit coloured. I'm so tired of medieval movies being set in alternate reality where light and colour doesn't exist. There is a reason why nobles wore coloured clothes was to show off their wealth. Look at these medieval regional flags of France.

Present map of France filled with flags of historic areas - Vivid Maps |  Historical flags, France map, Flag of europe894 × 989

20 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

watched the Lord of the rings extended trilogy.   it has been a good decade since I have seen it so it was nostalgic but the extended cuts are cringeworthy and rightfully removed from the final cut.   

Awful opinion. They extended scenes give context to otherwise unexplained events and concepts. the most cringe stuff is alrewdy in the thestricsl release, mainly the battle scenes with legolas and the increasing use of cgi

Edited by Spike

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Awful opinion. They extended scenes give context to otherwise unexplained events and concepts. the most cringe stuff is alrewdy in the thestricsl release, mainly the battle scenes with legolas and the increasing use of cgi

I love film, and lord of the rings, and I think the extended cuts suck. For every good scene chopped (and they are in there) there are 4 you're glad are gone. 

Eowyns soup, Gimlis knowledge of the nervous system, Merry and Pippin drinking water ect. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I love film, and lord of the rings, and I think the extended cuts suck. For every good scene chopped (and they are in there) there are 4 you're glad are gone. 

Eowyns soup, Gimlis knowledge of the nervous system, Merry and Pippin drinking water ect. 

Don’t remember any of those. Distinctly remember Aragon talking about the Dunedian and actually getting to see how Saruman dies

Imo, Boromir and Faramir at Osgiliath is the best scene cut. Deepens the insight into the closeness of their relationship and there relationship with daddy. 

I think a couple of extra scenes in the first movie are okay too. Besides these, they are mostly comedy bits, or just world building exposition. 

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Imo, Boromir and Faramir at Osgiliath is the best scene cut. Deepens the insight into the closeness of their relationship and there relationship with daddy. 

I think a couple of extra scenes in the first movie are okay too. Besides these, they are mostly comedy bits, or just world building exposition. 

none of them are any worse than the battle of pelanor with legolas doing matrix style kill combos of giant elephant things. the cut scenes can’t be criticised overly much when there is shit left in the movies that never should have never seen the light of day. the handling of denethor is atrocious as well. the movies have serious issues at times and non of them related to the added cut content but some of them related to the  content.being cut. 

there are several scenes in the two towers that make no sense without the exposition of what aragon and the dunedain are

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spike said:

none of them are any worse than the battle of pelanor with legolas doing matrix style kill combos of giant elephant things. the cut scenes can’t be criticised overly much when there is shit left in the movies that never should have never seen the light of day. the handling of denethor is atrocious as well. the movies have serious issues at times and non of them related to the added cut content but some of them related to the  content.being cut. 

there are several scenes in the two towers that make no sense without the exposition of what aragon and the dunedain are

Are there? Such as? 

I agree Megolas shouldn't exist, and both Faramir and Denethor get done dirty by the film, but you gotta create that cinematic tension yo so I don't mind. 

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Are there? Such as? 

I agree Megolas shouldn't exist, and both Faramir and Denethor get done dirty by the film, but you gotta create that cinematic tension yo so I don't mind. 

There are several scenes that mention Aragon’s being quite old, even the king of Rohan saying that he remembers him from when I was a boy and it is never explained unless you watch the extended or read the books. It is confusing because it is never even implied there is a race of super men.

I believe it also expands on what happens to merry and pippin while that one orc is chasing them through the forest, as you said it adds tension

What happens to Saruman is explained/seen otherwise all that happens is Gandalf says ‘trapped ip in his tower’. So ot makes no sense for them to find Saruman’s palantir just floating in the water

1 hour ago, Spike said:

There are several scenes that mention Aragon’s being quite old, even the king of Rohan saying that he remembers him from when I was a boy and it is never explained unless you watch the extended or read the books. It is confusing because it is never even implied there is a race of super men.

I believe it also expands on what happens to merry and pippin while that one orc is chasing them through the forest, as you said it adds tension

What happens to Saruman is explained/seen otherwise all that happens is Gandalf says ‘trapped ip in his tower’. So ot makes no sense for them to find Saruman’s palantir just floating in the water

Actually Aragorn's age or lack of ageing is covered in the Two Towers by Miranda Otto asking if he has the blood of the Dunedain. The remark goes further about the ancient bloodline being descended from the First Men of Numenor or something like that. 

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Like you I disliked the Legolas scenes of killing those oliphaunts or whatever. I notice they also wrongly wrote him into the Hobbit ($$$$).

The scenes I would have liked to see are the meeting of Halbarad and Aragorn and Theoden that happens on the way to Gondor and the Puklemen that show the riders of Rohan the quick way to Gondor and a route that is not watched by Sauron.

• Upvote 1