talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

The Northman 10/10

Robert Eggers does it again. Seamlessly blends Norse religion and mysticism into a semi-history legend. Brutally portrays the Norse as the brutal people they were, they fetishised strength, violence, and vengeance.

go out and watch it, please. These sorts of movies need all the support possible otherwise they won’t be made

Uncharted.

I'm not going to lie, I sort of phased out of this a couple times which is a shame as it had the premise to be quite a fun watch, a bit like the Jumanji films.

It's got some nice locations for the story to unfold, but for all the 'green screen action' it has, it seems to miss a bit of charm and soul that helps engage the audience and I don't really feel like you end up that interested in the story.

I also found it hard to take an interest in the characters. The main villain/s were poor and not particuarly interesting, and although Tom Holland did a decent job as Drake adding some charisma and banter to the role, I'm not convinced Mark Wahlberg really threw himself into a support role as Sully. It certainly didn't convince me anyway.

5/10.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Uncharted.

I'm not going to lie, I sort of phased out of this a couple times which is a shame as it had the premise to be quite a fun watch, a bit like the Jumanji films.

It's got some nice locations for the story to unfold, but for all the 'green screen action' it has, it seems to miss a bit of charm and soul that helps engage the audience and I don't really feel like you end up that interested in the story.

I also found it hard to take an interest in the characters. The main villain/s were poor and not particuarly interesting, and although Tom Holland did a decent job as Drake adding some charisma and banter to the role, I'm not convinced Mark Wahlberg really threw himself into a support role as Sully. It certainly didn't convince me anyway.

5/10.

Watched it a few days ago, too. Completely unrealistic, laughably so at times, but for a sucker for adventure/treasure hunt movies that I am, it was still a thoroughly enjoyable, fun movie...

Would give it 6.5/10 or so.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Spike said:

The Northman 10/10

Robert Eggers does it again. Seamlessly blends Norse religion and mysticism into a semi-history legend. Brutally portrays the Norse as the brutal people they were, they fetishised strength, violence, and vengeance.

go out and watch it, please. These sorts of movies need all the support possible otherwise they won’t be made

Just put it in my favourites list on a stream I have, I will watch it later but it did ring a bell when I read 'he sets out to avenge his father's death', it might be a re-make, I don't know but I do like films like this.  

43 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just put it in my favourites list on a stream I have, I will watch it later but it did ring a bell when I read 'he sets out to avenge his father's death', it might be a re-make, I don't know but I do like films like this.  

It’s not a remake. It is based on an ancient Nordic folktale that Shakespeare based Hamlet on.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Uncharted.

5/10.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Watched it a few days ago, too. Completely unrealistic, laughably so at times, but for a sucker for adventure/treasure hunt movies that I am, it was still a thoroughly enjoyable, fun movie...

I was due to watch this with someone else but got let down so ended up watching all on my lonesome with just some snacks for company... 

I did enjoy the scene with the helicopters, that was pretty swashbuckling.. Not great, not awful, just another adventure romp that filled a couple of hours.. 6/10

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Aye, I remembered after, I have read a book about the Northmen a few years back :D

download.png

Fascinating culture and history, and deeply tied to the cultural beginnings of our ancestors in Britain. Such a brutal and unforgiving people. Funny to think that before Christianisation of Britain, they worshipped the same deities and spirits.

when you think about it they were a culture stuck a thousand years in the past, they were the least romanised people in all of Western Europe, even less romanised than the central Germans

Edited by Spike

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Reminded me a bit of the National Treasure movies in that regard... the first one was (little font) somewhat realistic but the second shot to the moon. Still fun movies where you can turn your brain off and just enjoy.

Im a pretty big fan of the games so I had some idea of what to expect and actually Tom Holland did a fairly decent job...even though I think Nathan Fillion was born to play that role and even knocked it out with the little 10 min fan funded video they released years ago of Uncharted. Mark Wahlberg just played Mark Wahlberg... he wasnt a good choice for Sully on any level other then they clearly wanted "A" list actors to launch their big budget mega action franchise. I got what I wanted out of the movie more or less anyways I guess but fairly forgettable. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Spike said:

The Northman 10/10

A brilliant film that and the scenery shots were awesome too, @nudge, @Bluewolf I think you would like this and anybody else who likes Viking films, the fight scenes were classic, I would give this film top marks.

I am scared shit of heights and crossing that rope bridge and jumping off the cliff at the end gave me the willies, loved it when he yelled " I WANT TO FIGHT!!....." at the end bit but they just grabbed him and jumped, I pissed myself laughing. xD

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

A brilliant film that and the scenery shots were awesome too, @nudge, @Bluewolf I think you would like this and anybody else who likes Viking films, the fight scenes were classic, I would give this film top marks.

Reveal hidden contents

I have it on my watchlist! Will give it a go when I have some more free time :) 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Fascinating culture and history, and deeply tied to the cultural beginnings of our ancestors in Britain. Such a brutal and unforgiving people. Funny to think that before Christianisation of Britain, they worshipped the same deities and spirits.

when you think about it they were a culture stuck a thousand years in the past, they were the least romanised people in all of Western Europe, even less romanised than the central Germans

A bit off-topic a bit but when I did security work back in 2001 I had a weeks shift in Wick which is right up the top of Scotland and there are the remains of Wick castle which was thought to have been built around the 14th century, I went on a miles walk to get to the castle which is on the edge of the cliff and you look down and see the waves crashing around the rocks below, they say it was built there as they had Viking raids landing below and would try and fight them off, went inside and as the castle is falling apart really over the ages, there were 2 bits of shale lying on the ground so I bought them home for the wife and she still has them lying on the fireplace's hearth, so I have a bit of 14th century inside our flat. :)

download.png

download (1).png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Hide contents

I am scared shit of heights and crossing that rope bridge and jumping off the cliff at the end gave me the willies, loved it when he yelled " I WANT TO FIGHT!!....." at the end bit but they just grabbed him and jumped, I pissed myself laughing. xD

34 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have it on my watchlist! Will give it a go when I have some more free time :) 

I think you watched different movie but I’m glad you liked itxD

11 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

A bit off-topic a bit but when I did security work back in 2001 I had a weeks shift in Wick which is right up the top of Scotland and there are the remains of Wick castle which was thought to have been built around the 14th century, I went on a miles walk to get to the castle which is on the edge of the cliff and you look down and see the waves crashing around the rocks below, they say it was built there as they had Viking raids landing below and would try and fight them off, went inside and as the castle is falling apart really over the ages, there were 2 bits of shale lying on the ground so I bought them home for the wife and she still has them lying on the fireplace's hearth, so I have a bit of 14th century inside our flat. :)

download.png

download (1).png

Maybe even older! but that is pretty neat, and i’m sure there are heaps of treasures scattered about the north isles of scotland

those chess pieces made from whale teeth iI think were norse made and found in scotland

• Upvote 1