talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

On 23/07/2022 at 07:12, Toinho said:

The gray man 

7/10

Just an action movie, nothing spectacular about it, but I was very entertained. 

I saw this but going to have to go lower.

Nice scenery on the locations and good action sequences but when the story is so weak, it's hard to keep totally engaged.

6/10.

I'm still yet to see a straight to Netflix movie I've really loved. Extraction and The Irishman I'd lean towards solid good films.

Edited by Lucas

Late last night watched Transsiberian 2008.

Never heard of it before and actually thought it was good keeping you guessing until the end.

Guess the politics even then kept it from mainstream.

Woody Harreslson, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer and Kate Mara.

Basically two US tourists get talking to other travellers on the train and get mixed up in some dodgy stuff and then things get really dangerous. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800241/

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

The Gray Man - 6/10

With the talent involved, this should have been so much more. Netflix continue to disappoint with original film content.

I would give it 7/10 myself... 

As action flicks go it was not too bad... 

Prey - 7/10

Very well worth the hype and fits right in with the Predator Franchise. Has its flaws but a brilliantly directed film visually and well written. The story revolves around a young woman named Naru, a skilled Comanche warrior protecting her tribe from a a highly evolved alien that hunts humans for sport, fighting against the wilderness and fur traders to keep her people safe. The film accurately portrays the hunting culture of the ancient Comanche people. 

The Predator in this film looks like one of those Wolf hybrids we saw in Predators which was interesting. Really hope they continue this route where they stick a Predator into a certain timeline. 

• Upvote 3

Fright night (2011) 8/10

The movie is a thoroughly watchable, but easy throw away entertaining horror film. However, it does 2 things so outrageously well that it goes from a 6.5 to an 8. 

The film has a level of attention to detail and setup/payoff that is rare in cinema, genuinely on the level of a film like tremors in that regard. 

And secondly 

Colin Farrell fucking SLAYS as a creepy/sexy vampire. Born for it. He's a cunt talking about taming neglected women one second, then charming your pants off the next. It's outrageous how easily he kills this role. Elevates the movie. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/08/2022 at 22:13, Cicero said:

Prey - 7/10

Very well worth the hype and fits right in with the Predator Franchise. Has its flaws but a brilliantly directed film visually and well written. The story revolves around a young woman named Naru, a skilled Comanche warrior protecting her tribe from a a highly evolved alien that hunts humans for sport, fighting against the wilderness and fur traders to keep her people safe. The film accurately portrays the hunting culture of the ancient Comanche people. 

The Predator in this film looks like one of those Wolf hybrids we saw in Predators which was interesting. Really hope they continue this route where they stick a Predator into a certain timeline. 

I watched this last night. I'd echo a lot of that, it was a very solid film all round.

What I particularly liked was the film never felt like it dragged. Just an hour and 40mins and the pacing of the film in relation to the action was just right. Built up enough tension until the Predator was introduced fully.

Really liked the scenery and interaction with the animal predators too (Cougar, Bear) to add a bit more to the story.

The only thing I'd have possibly said is, would have maybe set the scene of the film better if they introduced the French Voyageurs at the start of the film and that the Comanche people were aware of their threat as they just seemed to be a bit too randomly introduced.

What was interesting is if you watch the immediate credits where they had the Comanche drawings detailing the film, at the end they had 3 Predator ships coming their way. Not sure that means anything in terms of a sequel specifically but was a little tease anyway.

Edited by Lucas

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I watched this last night. I'd echo a lot of that, it was a very solid film all round.

What I particularly liked was the film never felt like it dragged. Just an hour and 40mins and the pacing of the film in relation to the action was just right. Built up enough tension until the Predator was introduced fully.

Really liked the scenery and interaction with the animal predators too (Cougar, Bear) to add a bit more to the story.

The only thing I'd have possibly said is, would have maybe set the scene of the film better if they introduced the French Voyageurs at the start of the film and that the Comanche people were aware of their threat as they just seemed to be a bit too randomly introduced.

What was interesting is if you watch the immediate credits where they had the Comanche drawings detailing the film, at the end they had 3 Predator ships coming their way. Not sure that means anything in terms of a sequel specifically but was a little tease anyway.

A sequel would be horrible. Focus on another timeline. 

I did notice a little plot hole however. The Predator always comes to earth during the hottest time of the year. Looked like the beginning of Autumn in the film. 

• Subscriber

The Batman - 8/10 Really solid overall. Very different take from Nolan's and I appreciated that. Definitely felt alot darker.. I would watch more.

Snake Eyes - 5/10At least I didnt pay money to see this. I was originally excited as I liked the character growing up.... yeah this was really not good on any level.

• Subscriber

Prey - 6/10

I quite liked the premise and the era it was set in but so many things didn't really make sense like the magical-get-out-of-tough-situation tokens. I won't spoil them for anyone but I also felt like this brand of Predator needs to have a serious think about whether its a hunter of a bumbling idiot that is incapable of staying hidden and maybe that's the evolutionary aspect of the franchise but to me it felt a bit weird. I also don't want to compare it to the original which would be unfair but I never felt a sense of dread or ever felt like the main protagonist was ever in any true danger because she seemed a bit bullet-proof. 

One of my favorite parts of the 87 classic was when Dutch is walking to the center of the trap and they are confused why none of them have sprung, so he walks the traps and the camera is focused on him and then out of nowhere the Predator makes a mistake and gets caught in the net. I never really got any sense of that in this film which is a shame because the setting really afforded it quite a bit. 

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 2

Ended up watching Crimson Tide due to company I was with.

Assumed it was a Chuck Norris movie yet was not, it starred Denzil Washington, Gene Hackham, with supporting roles including James Gandolfini and Viggo Mortensen.

It was a cold war movie about a US submarine in a tricky situation.

The tension was superb as the story lines played out and it is one cold war film that is worth a look if you normally like me don't go there.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112740/

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Total Recall (1990) - Arnold Schwarzenegger/Sharon Stone - Action/Adventure/Science Fiction - 9/10

One of the best by Arnie and up there with Predator.

Spoiler

When a man goes in to have virtual vacation memories of the planet Mars implanted in his mind, an unexpected and harrowing series of events forces him to go to the planet for real - or is he?

Prey 6/10

Strange movie. Much of the action with the predator was decent, and the movie stands on that action. However, the characters are charmless and 1 dimensional, living forgettable lives and dying forgettable deaths. You can tell as soon as any scene starts whats going to happen and how it will end. Not a single twist, surprise or moment of creativity. Very bland and by the numbers. Movie will get a pass because "predator does cool thing" will ensnare the hearts of the masses. 

And I have to echo Mels point. This predator isn't ruthless and methodical, it's a fucking idiot. 

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Prey 6/10

Strange movie. Much of the action with the predator was decent, and the movie stands on that action. However, the characters are charmless and 1 dimensional, living forgettable lives and dying forgettable deaths. You can tell as soon as any scene starts whats going to happen and how it will end. Not a single twist, surprise or moment of creativity. Very bland and by the numbers. Movie will get a pass because "predator does cool thing" will ensnare the hearts of the masses. 

And I have to echo Mels point. This predator isn't ruthless and methodical, it's a fucking idiot. 

Probably the point, arrogant and incompetent super soldier getting served. Very critical review with a positive score?

Think this was the first Predator to come to earth and interact with the human race so it is pretty understandable for this Predator to be a bit naïve and ignorant. 

I also want to know why this Predator looks more like the wolf hybrid in Predators. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I also want to know why this Predator looks more like the wolf hybrid in Predators. 

They probably want to expand the universe a bit and I can see why. It's actually quite easy to start using the era-sets to showcase variants of the Predator and how it evolves over time or possibly hierarchy as well. Much like they did with Alien and showing Xeno origins and how that intersected with the landing of the Nostromo in the first movie when they did the Prometheus arc. 

• Subscriber

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) - Samuel L. Jackson/Geena Davis - Action/Crime/Drama - 8.0/10

The Negotiator (1998) - Samuel L. Jackson/ Kevin Spacy - Action/Crime/Drama - 8.5/10 

Keeping track of the Brenford v United game, United 2-0 down and that was enough listening to that shower of shite so opted for the 2 films above.