talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

I tend to rate my films in batches. My last batch of ratings on TFF was in November, so this is 3-4 months worth of films

Le beau mariage - 7/10

L'Illusioniste - 8/10

Belleville rendez-vous - 8/10

(The above two films are both animated films by Frenchman Steve Chomet. I watched L'Illusioniste because I was about to visit Edinburgh so I wanted to watch a film set there. It was a great film and looked fantastic visually. His other film was just as good.)

Paterson - 8/10

Broken Flowers - 7/10

(^both by Jim Jarmusch. Paterson was on at my local independant cinema and had Adam Driver in it so I gave it a go and it was great. I'd never watched a Jarmusch film before so I followed it up with Broken Flowers which was a bit disappointing in comparison)

Trainspotting - 8/10

Trainspotting 2 - 9/10

(I watched Trainspotting when I was about 18 and wasn't too impressed. Rewatched it recently in preparation for the sequel and enjoyed it much more. Then watched the sequel at the cinema and preferred it to the original. Maybe it was just the cinema effect?)

Easy A - 7/10

Trans-Europ-Express - 7/10

Une Femme Douce - 7/10

Mistress America - 7/10 (It's no Frances Ha)

Jackie - 7/10 (Natalie Portman was great but the film was a little disappointing)

La Jalousie - 7/10

Citizenfour - 8/10 (very interesting documentary about Edward Snowden)

Fantastic Beasts - 8/10 (not quite Harry Potter but a very good film)

Le Passé - 8/10

Juste la fin du monde - 8/10 (great performances all around, especially Vincent Cassel)

Ex-Machina - 8/10

Lego Movie - 8/10

20th Century Women - 8/10

La La Land - 9/10

Monsieur Lazhar - 9/10 (the best of the lot. It's about how a class of 12 year olds deal with the suicide of their teacher)

Edited by ...Dan

Just coming back from Logan and I can understand the comparisons with Dark Knight. Its dark, grim and has a decent story. However, it felt more like a westerner of the seventies and eighties. A doomed loner finding redemption. In the new X-Men series, I complained about Hugh Jackman looking out of place, because he has aged now. So, I am glad that he had found a proper closure with this movie. 

As for the actors, that little girl was kickass and it was also nice to see Stephan Merchant in a serious (sort of) role. 

• The topic was pinned

Manchester by the Sea feels like a lovely novel. The scenes at the police station and when Casey Aflleck meets Michelle Williams are so powerful. 

On 06/03/2017 at 5:10 AM, ...Dan said:

Paterson - 8/10

Kylo Ren not included in most of the major awards for Paterson was terrible.

Logan 6.75/10

Well filmed, gritty enough, decent and exclusive set of mutant characters, but ultimately I am not totally sold on the whole hype.

The girl lacked a Mexican accent. It was more peninsular Spanish than anything.

Edited by Kowabunga

Deadpool 

A very entertaining action film that subverts a lot of typical superhero cliches. Ryan Reynolds stars in the first film that I didn't make me want to punch his face. I was kind apprehensive because I was worried Hollywood may have bastardised and missed the point of Deadpool's character but I was wrong, the writers and Reynolds bloody nailed it. The superhero genre has been wank for years now but Deadpool has breathed a little fresh air.

48 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I watched The Interview yesterday. 

Thoroughly disappointing - I can't believe I deluded myself into thinking it would actually be good. 3/10.

5AbX6xJ.gif

You hate us cause you ain't us! 

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

Deadpool 

A very entertaining action film that subverts a lot of typical superhero cliches. Ryan Reynolds stars in the first film that I didn't make me want to punch his face. I was kind apprehensive because I was worried Hollywood may have bastardised and missed the point of Deadpool's character but I was wrong, the writers and Reynolds bloody nailed it. The superhero genre has been wank for years now but Deadpool has breathed a little fresh air.

Think it was Reynolds himself that really pushed for the film to be made.