talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The sequels have been very well received. Fair enough you don't like them but there not bad films

Well received by whom? The so-called "film critics"? Fair enough some of them like them but they're not good films :ph34r:

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

That's just your opinion

And some movie critic's opinion is somehow a fact though?... 

You're right in that film - as any other form of art - is highly subjective and it's always a matter of opinions. The Last Jedi was visually stunning, but almost everything else (storyline, pacing, character backstories and development (and even character assassination in certain cases), plot holes and logic) was not good at the very least; that's why the audience generally disliked it. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

And some movie critic's opinion is somehow a fact though?... 

You're right in that film - as any other form of art - is highly subjective and it's always a matter of opinions. The Last Jedi was visually stunning, but almost everything else (storyline, pacing, character backstories and development (and even character assassination in certain cases), plot holes and logic) was not good at the very least; that's why the audience generally disliked it. 

It's  not a fact but critics are critically trained and so there opinions are generally well balanced. And both films were better received than the prequels 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's  not a fact but critics are critically trained and so there opinions are generally well balanced. And both films were better received than the prequels 

Why? I'm sorry, I don't buy your appeal to authority. I can accept that some of them have more technical knowledge and can most likely evaluate camera work, sound, lighting and similar filmmaking aspects better than the general audience (at least those who are actually trained in film theory and filmmaking; not those who are just good at bulshitting and making a career out of it - so pretty much the majority). Other than that, they are not more qualified to rate a movie than your average viewer with half a brain. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nudge said:

Why? I'm sorry, I don't buy your appeal to authority. I can accept that some of them have more technical knowledge and can most likely evaluate camera work, sound, lighting and similar filmmaking aspects better than the general audience (at least those who are actually trained in film theory and filmmaking; not those who are just good at bulshitting and making a career out of it - so pretty much the majority). Other than that, they are not more qualified to rate a movie than your average viewer with half a brain. 

I agree there are some that aren't. But to write a review on rotten tomatoes for example you do have to have a lot of experience in film critiquing. Not to say they are always write they quite often disagree. Also if you look on IMBD there have been films that have been well received by people that are clearly bad films

Edited by Guest

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I agree there are some that aren't. But to write a review on rotten tomatoes for example you do have to have a lot of experience in film critiquing. Not to say they are always write they quite often disagree.

The only requirement to be a critic on RT is two years' experience of writing movie reviews; it doesn't require proven cinematic or journalistic education. So in the end, it's just another opinion from another person, nothing else.

The only film critics I personally enjoy are Red Letter Media; and that's only because they're entertaining without taking themselves too seriously.

• Subscriber

To be honest, I take movie reviews and opinions of people on here such as Tsubs, Ignis, Dan, ASF and many others more seriously than any of the professional movie critics, even when I don't agree with them, as they are actually able to argue their case instead of relying on their reputation and inflated self-importance.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, nudge said:

The only requirement to be a critic on RT is two years' experience of writing movie reviews; it doesn't require proven cinematic or journalistic education. So in the end, it's just another opinion from another person, nothing else.

The only film critics I personally enjoy are Red Letter Media; and that's only because they're entertaining without taking themselves too seriously.

That's still more experience than the average person. I'm not saying that every critic is always right. They cant be they disagree. And there are very knowledgeble people who aren't professional critics. But on a whole I would take a bunch of critics reviews more seriously than the average person. 

Edited by Guest

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

That's still more experience than the average person.

So what? They might be more experienced in getting their opinions published and getting paid for it; it doesn't make them any more qualified or their opinion worth more than mine or yours or that of any other average person if they don't have any other qualifications to show for.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, nudge said:

So what? They might be more experienced in getting their opinions published and getting paid for it; it doesn't make them any more qualified or their opinion worth more than mine or yours or that of any other average person if they don't have any other qualifications to show for.

I think we will have to agree to disagree 

I don't pay too much attention to critics as it's only a personal thing to them, They have no idea what my likes and dislikes are about any particular film and only put out their own personal feelings on any given review and everyone is different.. If it's a blockbuster film sometimes they give them rave reviews but I might find then average or lacking something, other films they might give low reviews for but are very interesting or entertaining.. 

Dredd was a fairly good example, It got panned in some quarters and in others got high marks but having been a fan of that particular character for so long now only myself and other fans know what we are looking for out of it and how close the film stays to the vision or image you might have for that character and the world in which they live... I would bet my years wages that I would be in a far better position to rate a film like that for example than anyone who has just spent 2 or even 3 years working on rotten tomatoes... It's just an opinion, and they say opinions are like arseholes... we all have one

• Upvote 1

A simple favour 

3/10

Not my choice, if Anna Kendrick wasn’t in it then I would probably have gone lower than 3. I found it fairly predictable until a certain point then the second half of the movie was just full of WTF moments for me. 

Edited by Toinho

A Simple Favour - 6/10

Wasn't shit, was funny in places and midway through started to reel me in but overall the story didn't feel that groundbreaking/exciting and it reminded me of a lighter version of Gone Girl.

The Predators - 5/10

One of those sci-fi films you can watch hungover on a Sunday but nothing on the original two and I'd rather they didn't make another unless it's actually good with an original storyline and has some original cast in.

'The Player'

After watching the end, I realized I had already seen this one, many years ago. But it was a great watch all the same, with an awesome cast.

8/10

'Midnight in Paris'

Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit with the score I'm giving it, but I saw this last Saturday, not feeling very well and was just hoping for another decent Woody Allen movie.

After watching practically all of his classics, I can say that this one is, for me, among his 3 best works, hands down. Great cast, with a good story. Marion Cotillard is a Goddess.

9/10

Edited by ASF
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ASF said:

'Midnight in Paris'

Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit with the score I'm giving it, but I saw this last Saturday, not feeling very well and was just hoping for another decent Woody Allen movie.

After watching practically all of his classics, I can say that this one is, for me, among his 3 best works, hands down. Great cast, with a good story. Marion Cotillard is a Goddess.

9/10

Finally we agree again! I loved the actor who portrayed Ernest Hemingway and the way he portrayed him. 

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

Finally we agree again! I loved the actor who portrayed Ernest Hemingway and the way he portrayed him. 

I enjoyed Kathy Bates, who was great, as always. Owen Wilson was good as well.

Have I said that Marion Cotillard is amazing?

2 minutes ago, ASF said:

I enjoyed Kathy Bates, who was great, as always. Owen Wilson was good as well.

Have I said that Marion Cotillard is amazing?

Yea, she is amazing except for her death scene in the Dark Knight Rises. 

I watched 'Ant Man and The Wasp' last night

Did not expect much from it but had seen the first Ant Man so gave it a watch and must admit it had me laughing in a few places especially when he ends up having to go to his daughters school... Sort of light hearted film that does not take itself to seriously and Paul Rudd supplying most of the humor throughout, not sure if the character from the comics had the same type of style or not but it seems to work... Also a special mention to his business sidekick Michael Pena who also got a few laughs out of me... 

Interesting bit at the end as well as they go about tying all the Marvel films together... 

Watched 'Crazy Rich Asians'. It's like every second Bollywood movie. The only time I (or for that matter anyone else in the theatre) laughed was when Ken Jeong or his family showed up on the screen. The only other good thing was the excellent food shots. 

Also watched the 1987 version of 'Man on fire'. It's a typical 80's movie. I was slightly creeped out by the way they showed the hero and child's relationship. But overall it was an enjoyable movie. If you have enjoyed movies like Manhunter or Thief, then you will like this one. For those who have watched Denzel Washington's version, this might be a decent watch too. 

On 05/10/2018 at 03:02, Bluewolf said:

Also a special mention to his business sidekick Michael Pena who also got a few laughs out of me... 

He and his crew stole the show. The 'truth serum' bit was hilarious.