talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

Solo 6.5/10

Decent watch. Couldn't get over how short the actor portraying Han was, however he did a believable job. 

Much like Rogue One, the ending bumped it up a single point. Can only assume an Obiwan film will be made that will go into detail about how in the fuck this bloke is still alive. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about. 

Star Wars stories shite all over the main story line 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Solo 6.5/10

Decent watch. Couldn't get over how short the actor portraying Han was, however he did a believable job. 

Much like Rogue One, the ending bumped it up a single point. Can only assume an Obiwan film will be made that will go into detail about how in the fuck this bloke is still alive. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about. 

I thought the last two actual Star Wars films were fairly interchangeable and could just be two different versions of the same plot.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

I thought the last two actual Star Wars films were fairly interchangeable and could just be two different versions of the same plot.

Don't think they can redeem themselves at this point. Not after the atrocity that was The Last Jedi. 

Both Rogue One and Solo were interesting films and with the way things are going, more time and effort should be focused on these stories rather than the main story line. Given it is the final movie this year, reckon that will be their approach. 

Surely a Obi Wan movie in the making after what happened at the end of Solo?

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Cicero said:

Solo 6.5/10

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

:D 

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

:D 

Good point.Can only assume he is still alive due to his hatred of Obi Wan? Similar to Anakin's anger and hatred that kept him alive during his transition into Darth Vader?
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Hide contents

Good point.Can only assume he is still alive due to his hatred of Obi Wan? Similar to Anakin's anger and hatred that kept him alive during his transition into Darth Vader?

yes, that's basically how they explained his survival when he made his reappearance in the extended universe; mainly in The Clone Wars animated series and the comic books... The whole story of his survival as well as the events that follow after that would make a GREAT story and I hope that will be a part of the Obi-Wan movie if that ever happens...

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2019 at 20:18, Cicero said:

One of the better animated films out there. Amazed you didn't think so. 

I thought it was a bit outdated. One of those movies that didn't aged well.

Add the fact that I had already seen the same story portrayed in The Ten Commandments, and there you have why I didn't rate it so highly.

Watched the First Man and my only real regret is that I didn't catch it in the theatres. This would have been something in IMAX. It's beautifully shot and I loved the pace, which others might think was slow. Ryan Gosling owns the 'cool' tag of this generation. Drive, Place Beyond the Pines, Blade Runner 2049, etc. I could go on and on. Damien Chazelle  is no different- Whiplash and now this. If he was older he would be nailed on for the Oscar.

• Subscriber

Loving (2016), the wife picked this one out last night and it's not bad, a romantic drama about an interracial marriage in Virginia of a white guy who marries a black women he loves when she falls pregnant but it was against the law then in Virginia at that time and ended up in a historical American courtroom landmark trial, I would give this an 8/10 rating.

6 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

The Longest Day (1962) the original made in black&white, this film and the Battle of the Bulge will never go amiss with me.

Classic, that one. I love a good war movie. Don't know if you have seen these ones, but apart from the obvious classics (Casablanca, Dr.º Strangelove, Gone with the Wind), I would recommend Judgment at Nuremberg, The Battle of Algiers, Come and See and Rossellini's war trilogy.

'eXistenZ'

7/10

'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'

7/10

• Like 1

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, ASF said:

I would recommend Judgment at Nuremberg,

Saw that a few times directed by Stanley Kramer and a host of good old great American actors in it namely, Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, and Judy Garland to name a few.

I watched an old Golden Oldie yesterday and you just cannot beat some of these old films and I would give this top marks, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

p6252_v_v8_ab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Saw that a few times directed by Stanley Kramer and a host of good old great American actors in it namely, Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, and Judy Garland to name a few.

I watched an old Golden Oldie yesterday and you just cannot beat some of these old films and I would give this top marks, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

p6252_v_v8_ab.jpg

One of my most favourite films of all time. I think it's time for another rewatch...

EDIT: Have you seen the sequel??? 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

One of my most favourite films of all time. I think it's time for another rewatch...

EDIT: Have you seen the sequel??? 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Aye, and after watching 2001 I think I will have to dig that one up again and rewatch.

Re-watched Halloween (2018)

Previously rated it a 6.5 but thought i'd bump it to a 7/10

The beginning and final act of the film is just brilliant. The middle portion contains just weird shite. 

- Grandaughter and her friends are pathetically shite characters with shite dialogue. 

- The doctor with little backstory helping Michael. 

- Killing off the cop as if he was a disposable character. (He was the one that captured Michael in the first movie)

- Michael's superhuman and creative fatalities. Defeats the realism that made us love the original. 

Caught 'Every Day' while channel surfing. It's a decent romantic flick. The story is really unique. Unfortunately it unravels around high school students and therefore is somewhat predictable and corny at times. The end also felt less risky. But the makers hired really good actors and all the teens did a good job and were extremely likeable in their roles. Angourie Rice is going to be star.

Apparently it is based on a best seller novel and there is also a Korean version with adults. I will try to watch that, because it might be a more daring version than this. 

If you are looking for a decent romantic flick to watch with your other half (Valentine's Day is around the corner), then this is not a bad option. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

A Star Is Born 8.5/10

Very good. Slightly dubious before watching as I thought it would be just a platform to emphasise Gaga's vocals but actually, she can act.

Infact, I'm not sure what I found more surprising. Lady Gaga's acting skills or Bradley Cooper's singing. Either way, the two combined really well.

My only criticism really was that whilst two thirds of the film were great, the last part was a little drawn out and self-centred. They could have shortened this and it would have had no less effect.

All in all, a solid effort on Cooper's directional debut and I felt he really captured both sides of the fame industry brilliantly.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A Star Is Born 8.5/10

Very good. Slightly dubious before watching as I thought it would be just a platform to emphasise Gaga's vocals but actually, she can act.

Saw the original with Judy Garland (1954) and I never knew they had made another one, might watch that some time although I am not a Lady GaGa fan and neither is the wife but I gather that could change watching it, it got a good 8/10 on IMDb too. 

1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

Saw the original with Judy Garland (1954) and I never knew they had made another one, might watch that some time although I am not a Lady GaGa fan and neither is the wife but I gather that could change watching it, it got a good 8/10 on IMDb too. 

I've not seen the film you are referring to but by all accounts, this version is better. To be perfectly honest, you don't need to like Lady Gaga to enjoy this film, you wouldn't even realise it was her given how well she comes across in her performance. But by all means judge for yourself.

• Upvote 1