talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

On 29/03/2019 at 19:42, CaaC - John said:

Just watched a film on Netflix called 'Get Out', a horror/mystery/thriller, took a little while to get into the film but not bad, the ending though could have been a lot better, I would give it an 8/10 only because the wife sat through the whole film.

Ha ha the way you say it it's like no one would have heard of it. You'd have to be under a rock not to have heard of it xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha the way you say it it's like no one would have heard of it. You'd have to be under a rock not to have heard of it xD

I must be under a rock then :P 

I thought Get Out was a decent flick, not a great flick as it was made out to be. It was a decent horror flick centred around the race dynamics. In the current climate it was bound to become huge.

Now Us on the other hand is brilliant. I saw it on the weekend. It's smarter, darker and creepier. It has several references to old flicks, loads of symbolism, small dose of good humour and a good OST. It's not perfect and some things could have been handled in a better manner, but the movie as a whole was quite wonderful. 

2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I thought Get Out was a decent flick, not a great flick as it was made out to be. It was a decent horror flick centred around the race dynamics. In the current climate it was bound to become huge.

Now Us on the other hand is brilliant. I saw it on the weekend. It's smarter, darker and creepier. It has several references to old flicks, loads of symbolism, small dose of good humour and a good OST. It's not perfect and some things could have been handled in a better manner, but the movie as a whole was quite wonderful. 

So if you liked Get Out, you'll really like Us?

I really liked Get Out though it was maybe overhyped, but I can also get why the hype occurred. Plus, I think that everyone always expects horror to be shit and then any decent horror movie gets overhyped.  Happened  with The Babadook which I personally thought was average. People also raved and raved about the Conjuring, which was really good, but not like an all-time great horror movie. 

Oddly enough, I felt like Hereditary got unfairly ignored after an initial pre-release buzz. The fact that Toni Collette hardly got nominated for anything was absolutely bizarre. 

Edited by Inverted

22 hours ago, Inverted said:

Oddly enough, I felt like Hereditary got unfairly ignored after an initial pre-release buzz. The fact that Toni Collette hardly got nominated for anything was absolutely bizarre. 

Hereditary and The Witch - two of the creepiest movies to come out in recent times. It's nice that horror films are taking the creepy rather than scary route. Us did that too, but those two films above were down right creepy, in a good way. 

@topic

Just finished watching Triple Frontier and I have to agree with @Viva la FCB. To add to his points :

Not many deaths in the group. The one who gets shot is tougher than Steve Rogers. Zero tension during the movie. None of the cartel's men chased them, until the beach showdown, and even that was never used to it's full potential. At least give a grand fucking finish. 

I also wish they had shown them lacking morals. Former marines/commandos aren't this in touch with the morals. Especially people who admit to killing 40+ people. And if they are remorseful of their past army lives, they give up violence completely. Look at movies like Heat, Sicario, American Sniper, etc. Those guys seemed realistic. They were meticulous with their planning, but if things went south they mopped the whole place clean. These guys seemed  so uneven. One moment they value life, then they don't, then they cry for a while, and they completely forget their bad actions, then they again don't want to kill innocents, but next scene they are ready to,... 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Just finished watching Triple Frontier and I have to agree with @Viva la FCB. To add to his points :

Reveal hidden contents

Not many deaths in the group. Thr one who gets shots is tougher than Steve Rogers. Zero tension during the movie. None of the cartel's men chased them, until the beach showdown, and even that was never used to it's full potential. At least give a grand fucking finish. 

I also wish they had shown them lacking morals. Former marines/commandos aren't this in touch with the morals. Especially people who admit to killing 40+ people. And if they are remorseful of their past army lives, they give up violence completely. Look at movies like Heat, Sicario, American Sniper, etc. Those guys seemed realistic. They were meticulous with their planning, but if things went south they mopped the whole place clean. These guys seemed  so uneven. One moment they value life, then they don't, then they cry for a while, and they completely forget their bad actions, then they again don't want to kill innocents, but next scene they are ready to,... 

The funny thing was its bloody called TRIPLE FRONTIER. they mentioned at one point its not just his money and talked about a coop with an american? agency splitting the cash and none of this mattered at all. There was literally nooone coming after them except for a drug farmers kid that they got itchy trigger fingers around. You're bang on about the characters too, there was just no substance there absolutely nothing to latch onto. Benicio in Sicario is a great parallel, its even within the same genre. There was potential for a good film here they just executed so poorly.

Yep, wasted a good cast, money (seemed like a lot of cash was splurged on this) and a good opportunity. 

I think they tried to capitalise on Narcos' popularity. Nothing wrong in that. Look at American Made. Tried to cash in on Narcos' popularity but also made such a fun if not great flick.

• Subscriber

I was just going to post about this watched it last night.

Highwaymen 8/10 Bit of a slow burner but Costner and Woody are great throughout. They did a good job of portraying Bonnie and Clyde; a more realistic take and under a different light as cold blooded killers. It still showed the crowds and their fame but it was pretty brutal in what they showed at least woody kept it light! Worth watching. 

• Subscriber

Didn't think I would like this film that the wife put on called 'The Man Who Cried' (1993) it's from a Catherine Cookson novel and believe it or not I quite enjoyed it, anybody wants to sit down next to your partner and watch a good drama then watch this, I would give it an 8/3  8/10 rating.

The film run for a good 3 hours and its classed as a tv film and the wife is sure it was on tv at one time as a mini-series on the BBC or ITV.

Abel Mason is a man caught in a loveless marriage with a harridan wife who constantly berates him and beats their son Dick. When the one woman he loves dies at the hands of her husband after he was sent a letter by Mason's wife, exposing the affair, Abel leaves her for good taking to the road and young Dick with him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106060/

Edited by CaaC - John

1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

Didn't think I would like this film that the wife put on called 'The Man Who Cried' (19930 it's from a Catherine Cookson novel and believe it or not I quite enjoyed it, anybody wants to sit down next to your partner and watch a good drama then watch this, I would give it an 8/3 rating.

The film run for a good 3 hours and its classed as a tv film and the wife is sure it was on tv at one time as a mini-series on the BBC or ITV.

Reveal hidden contents

Abel Mason is a man caught in a loveless marriage with a harridan wife who constantly berates him and beats their son Dick. When the one woman he loves dies at the hands of her husband after he was sent a letter by Mason's wife, exposing the affair, Abel leaves her for good taking to the road and young Dick with him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106060/

I have enough drama going on around me daily as it is without watching it on the tv as well in my spare time... xD

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Didn't think I would like this film that the wife put on called 'The Man Who Cried' (19930 it's from a Catherine Cookson novel and believe it or not I quite enjoyed it, anybody wants to sit down next to your partner and watch a good drama then watch this, I would give it an 8/3 rating.

You'll have to explain your rating system to me xD 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC - John said:

Shite, I meant 8/10, I will correct it now   :whistling::eek:xD

Ah it's a pity; I thought you had some fancy rating system there xD Like 8 beers in 3 hours makes the movie enjoyable :ph34r:

• Haha 2