Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Watford 0-1 Arsenal - Monday 15th April, 2019

Kick-off 20.00

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Watford.svg.png     VS     580b57fcd9996e24bc43c4df.png

Head to Head
Arsenal 2-0 Watford
Arsenal 3-0 Watford
Watford 2-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-2 Watford
Watford 1-3 Arsenal

Recent Form
Watford - WWLWL
Arsenal - LWWWW

What a shit goal to concede for Watford xD

Red card for Deeney! 

HAHAHAHA red card for Deeney. Cajones. Didn't look that bad but stupid from him.

Being a caveman didn't work out too well for him today. Need to take advantage of the extra man. Hope we can get the 2nd goal before half time.

Don't get how anyone can have any complaints about that. Raises his arm as he runs past him. Clear red card. 

(I don't hate Watford, just calling it as it is FYI). 

Well, saved me 2 hours.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't get how anyone can have any complaints about that. Raises his arm as he runs past him. Clear red card. 

(I don't hate Watford, just calling it as it is FYI). 

Didn't you think Fernandinho dropping the people's elbow on Kane in the CL last week wasn't a red card offense though.

I think it's a clear red here, but lol at referees wanting respect with the consistency between them all

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't you think Fernandinho dropping the people's elbow on Kane in the CL last week wasn't a red card offense though.

I think it's a clear red here, but lol at referees wanting respect with the consistency between them all

Didn't say he shouldn't get a red (from my memory). Just that I didn't think he was a dirty player as was being made out. 

I think if Torreira wasn't a little person though, this probably wouldn't have been considered a red card. So it's a bit harsh in that regard, until you consider that it's not like the lad shrunk and Deeney (probably) knows he's short as fuck, so his head's going to be there.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think if Torreira wasn't a little person though, this probably wouldn't have been considered a red card. So it's a bit harsh in that regard, until you consider that it's not like the lad shrunk and Deeney (probably) knows he's short as fuck, so his head's going to be there.

Yeah the fault here is Deeney's, not the officials. If anything the linesman has done well to spot it and say to the ref it's an elbow to the head. 

I remember years ago Andy Carroll did something similar to Baines and got away with it, he seemed to insinutate it was because Baines was small and therefore not his fault. There are genuine accidents of course but good footballers are aware of their surroundings and the stature of other players, Deeney was running right past him there too, wasn't like he was behind him.

Just dirty play by Deeney, a deserved red for me.. 

Posted (edited)

Deeney is a proper whopper, so for that reason I'm glad he got sent off. 

• Haha 1

If you watch it carefully he tries to elbow him but catches him on the shoulder and follows through and it's his hand that actually catches his face... 

Calls Torreira a 'fucking pussy' as he walks away... after giving him cheap shot.. 

Deeney quote: " Whenever I play against Arsenal, I'll go up and think let me whack the first one and see who's up for it"  

Posted (edited)

Mkhitaryan with a couple of good chances. Foster makes a good save with one, Mkhitaryan shoots way off with the other. To be fair to Watford, they've set up well with 10 men.

Another chance for Mkhitaryan, another one way off...

I've noticed Deeney likes to pick fights with the smaller fellas, Joe Allen before this. Got sent down for kicking someone on the floor too, I don't think he can go on about cajones much. 

• Upvote 2

Arsenal can have no complaints if Watford nick a point here.

Sincerely the least noticeable man advantage I've ever seen in a game. 

Watford deserve a point here. 

We've got to be targeting three points in a fortnight.

Posted (edited)

Terrible performance. I think it's clear that a lot of the time Emery just makes it up as he goes along, and doesn't really have that much tactical nouse. The fact that he changes the team 3 or 4 games per game means that he is getting it wrong 2 or 3 times per game. When it works he looks a genius, but the other times he looks a fraud. 

Posted (edited)

Watford getting a draw wouldn't have been undeserved but thankfully we held on. Leno had another good game at the back. Created decent chances but the finishing was pretty terrible. Still, a rare away win and back into the top 4 with a game in hand over Chelsea and only a point behind Tottenham.

1 minute ago, shut up said:

Terrible performance. I think it clear that a lot of the times Emery just makes it up as he goes along and doesn't really have that much tactical nouse. The fact that he changes the team 3 or 4 games per game means that he is getting it wrong 2 or 3 times per game. When it works he looks a genius, but the other times he looks a fraud. 

I think he is a good tactician in the sense of preparing for big games but he absolutely isn't made for league success.

You can't pull off a tactical masterclass week-in week-out, sometimes you just need to send out a settled team and system that you know will probably play well, and it's obvious that Emery doesn't really have a plan he feels he can rely on week-to-week.

I turned it on when it was 0-1 and a red for Deeney. It was over then, Watford did did extremely well with ten men but i knew this was a one way street. That fat cunt did Arsenal a favor last night.

Posted (edited)

I'll give one thing to Troy Deeney, it's brilliant how much he gets under the skin of so many people, especially some on here.

He knows he's not the most graceful player but he'll give plenty of heart and emotion and plays on the edge.

Sadly for him it's been his undoing here but he's far from a bad person just because he's physical. The game isn't about being graceful all the time.

And I for one think it's refreshing to see a player speak up and tell it as it is sometimes than the usual robotic approach. Yes, his comments can make himself a target and he can be easily criticised but fuck it, he's a character and you need character's in the game.

He was bang on about Arsenal too that time he publically slated them and he only said what everyone thought. That shouldn't be used against him.

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'll give one thing to Troy Deeney, it's brilliant how much he gets under the skin of so many people, especially some on here.

He knows he's not the most graceful player but he'll give plenty of heart and emotion and plays on the edge.

Sadly for him it's been his undoing here but he's far from a bad person just because he's physical. The game isn't about being graceful all the time.

And I for one think it's refreshing to see a player speak up and tell it as it is sometimes than the usual robotic approach. Yes, his comments can make himself a target and he can be easily criticised but fuck it, he's a character and you need character's in the game.

He was bang on about Arsenal too that time he publically slated them and he only said what everyone thought. That shouldn't be used against him.

Yes it should. If you're going to come out and give it the big one about how you beat this big side because you and your mates are bigger hard men and they're a bunch of pussies in such an insulting manner, then if you want to take all the social media attention for coming out and "being honest", you've also got to accept you're an absolute idiot setting yourself up for dogs abuse when things don't go your way. Since he made those comments about Arsenal's cajones, he's missed a penalty and now been sent off against them. He deserves to be laughed at because now he looks like a stupid cunt for giving it large against them.

I actually like Deeney and his story for the most part and I see where people are coming from with him coming out and being honest with comments you wouldn't usually expect but in this particular instance I just don't see what he had to gain. His comments came post-match, so it wasn't an attempt at mind games, it was a complete attempt at bragging, and I hate bragging, it doesn't achieve anything other than trying to get people's attention for something good you've done. Therefore, I think it's great karma to see him suffer a penalty miss and a red card against them since he tried to brag about how much harder he is than all of Arsenal's players.

So no, Deeney hasn't got under my skin or anyone else's, he simply needs to be laughed at for this because he took a risk by giving it large after they beat Arsenal once and now he looks like an idiot for doing so. Acting hard and bragging are two things that have consequences if you can't back it up and the people giving him grief now are only keeping the world in order by making everyone else see that if you talk big it will come back to bite you eventually.

Humility might be boring but it's a much more admirable trait.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yes it should. If you're going to come out and give it the big one about how you beat this big side because you and your mates are bigger hard men and they're a bunch of pussies in such an insulting manner, then if you want to take all the social media attention for coming out and "being honest", you've also got to accept you're an absolute idiot setting yourself up for dogs abuse when things don't go your way. Since he made those comments about Arsenal's cajones, he's missed a penalty and now been sent off against them. He deserves to be laughed at because now he looks like a stupid cunt for giving it large against them.

I actually like Deeney and his story for the most part and I see where people are coming from with him coming out and being honest with comments you wouldn't usually expect but in this particular instance I just don't see what he had to gain. His comments came post-match, so it wasn't an attempt at mind games, it was a complete attempt at bragging, and I hate bragging, it doesn't achieve anything other than trying to get people's attention for something good you've done. Therefore, I think it's great karma to see him suffer a penalty miss and a red card against them since he tried to brag about how much harder he is than all of Arsenal's players.

So no, Deeney hasn't got under my skin or anyone else's, he simply needs to be laughed at for this because he took a risk by giving it large after they beat Arsenal once and now he looks like an idiot for doing so. Acting hard and bragging are two things that have consequences if you can't back it up and the people giving him grief now are only keeping the world in order by making everyone else see that if you talk big it will come back to bite you eventually.

Humility might be boring but it's a much more admirable trait.

You're definitely giving the impression you're more bothered than you should be about Deeney although I appreciate you may have thought I was singling you out and taken umbridge.

This is simply my opinion, it would be boring if we all saw things the same way right?

Personally, I don't disagree with you that he's put himself in the spotlight for saying something publically but equally, that shouldn't be shoved down his throat constantly just because he said it once.

He based his opinion on the fact he'd played against Arsenal numerous times and had plenty of joy against them, it wasn't a one off.

Was he wrong? No. What he said, we'd all been saying for ages on here in a roundabout way so it was truth. Arsenal beat them in the return fixture so they got their just desserts and have beaten them against since.

I respect Deeney for being so honest. That same night Watford won, he gave one of the best interviews I've seen on BT Sport talking about how bad he'd acted in the past and wanted to get on the straight and narrow and it was refreshing to hear. People can relate. Now that is what I call an admirable trait.

I just think there's no need for everyone to be so venomous to him and keep chucking it in his face. That would just suggest that he's got under their skin more than they think a little of which, I've no doubt he probably relishes.

I'm not a member of the Troy Deeney fan club by the way, but I admire certain characteristics of him and simply see things from a different perspective.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I don't particularly dislike Deeney and agree with his comments about Arsenal but maybe if he starts elbowing and squaring up to people more his size and stature then he'll get the respect you obviously crave for him. Until then he'll just seem like a bully boy.

There is a place for the Deeney's of the game, they've always done okay, Davies and his ilk were the same. Thankfully though he is viewed more and more of a throwback, as English football evolves into something which could well be successful.