talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Watford 0-1 Arsenal - Monday 15th April, 2019

football forum

I'll give one thing to Troy Deeney, it's brilliant how much he gets under the skin of so many people, especially some on here.

He knows he's not the most graceful player but he'll give plenty of heart and emotion and plays on the edge.

Sadly for him it's been his undoing here but he's far from a bad person just because he's physical. The game isn't about being graceful all the time.

And I for one think it's refreshing to see a player speak up and tell it as it is sometimes than the usual robotic approach. Yes, his comments can make himself a target and he can be easily criticised but fuck it, he's a character and you need character's in the game.

He was bang on about Arsenal too that time he publically slated them and he only said what everyone thought. That shouldn't be used against him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'll give one thing to Troy Deeney, it's brilliant how much he gets under the skin of so many people, especially some on here.

He knows he's not the most graceful player but he'll give plenty of heart and emotion and plays on the edge.

Sadly for him it's been his undoing here but he's far from a bad person just because he's physical. The game isn't about being graceful all the time.

And I for one think it's refreshing to see a player speak up and tell it as it is sometimes than the usual robotic approach. Yes, his comments can make himself a target and he can be easily criticised but fuck it, he's a character and you need character's in the game.

He was bang on about Arsenal too that time he publically slated them and he only said what everyone thought. That shouldn't be used against him.

Yes it should. If you're going to come out and give it the big one about how you beat this big side because you and your mates are bigger hard men and they're a bunch of pussies in such an insulting manner, then if you want to take all the social media attention for coming out and "being honest", you've also got to accept you're an absolute idiot setting yourself up for dogs abuse when things don't go your way. Since he made those comments about Arsenal's cajones, he's missed a penalty and now been sent off against them. He deserves to be laughed at because now he looks like a stupid cunt for giving it large against them.

I actually like Deeney and his story for the most part and I see where people are coming from with him coming out and being honest with comments you wouldn't usually expect but in this particular instance I just don't see what he had to gain. His comments came post-match, so it wasn't an attempt at mind games, it was a complete attempt at bragging, and I hate bragging, it doesn't achieve anything other than trying to get people's attention for something good you've done. Therefore, I think it's great karma to see him suffer a penalty miss and a red card against them since he tried to brag about how much harder he is than all of Arsenal's players.

So no, Deeney hasn't got under my skin or anyone else's, he simply needs to be laughed at for this because he took a risk by giving it large after they beat Arsenal once and now he looks like an idiot for doing so. Acting hard and bragging are two things that have consequences if you can't back it up and the people giving him grief now are only keeping the world in order by making everyone else see that if you talk big it will come back to bite you eventually.

Humility might be boring but it's a much more admirable trait.

45 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yes it should. If you're going to come out and give it the big one about how you beat this big side because you and your mates are bigger hard men and they're a bunch of pussies in such an insulting manner, then if you want to take all the social media attention for coming out and "being honest", you've also got to accept you're an absolute idiot setting yourself up for dogs abuse when things don't go your way. Since he made those comments about Arsenal's cajones, he's missed a penalty and now been sent off against them. He deserves to be laughed at because now he looks like a stupid cunt for giving it large against them.

I actually like Deeney and his story for the most part and I see where people are coming from with him coming out and being honest with comments you wouldn't usually expect but in this particular instance I just don't see what he had to gain. His comments came post-match, so it wasn't an attempt at mind games, it was a complete attempt at bragging, and I hate bragging, it doesn't achieve anything other than trying to get people's attention for something good you've done. Therefore, I think it's great karma to see him suffer a penalty miss and a red card against them since he tried to brag about how much harder he is than all of Arsenal's players.

So no, Deeney hasn't got under my skin or anyone else's, he simply needs to be laughed at for this because he took a risk by giving it large after they beat Arsenal once and now he looks like an idiot for doing so. Acting hard and bragging are two things that have consequences if you can't back it up and the people giving him grief now are only keeping the world in order by making everyone else see that if you talk big it will come back to bite you eventually.

Humility might be boring but it's a much more admirable trait.

You're definitely giving the impression you're more bothered than you should be about Deeney although I appreciate you may have thought I was singling you out and taken umbridge.

This is simply my opinion, it would be boring if we all saw things the same way right?

Personally, I don't disagree with you that he's put himself in the spotlight for saying something publically but equally, that shouldn't be shoved down his throat constantly just because he said it once.

He based his opinion on the fact he'd played against Arsenal numerous times and had plenty of joy against them, it wasn't a one off.

Was he wrong? No. What he said, we'd all been saying for ages on here in a roundabout way so it was truth. Arsenal beat them in the return fixture so they got their just desserts and have beaten them against since.

I respect Deeney for being so honest. That same night Watford won, he gave one of the best interviews I've seen on BT Sport talking about how bad he'd acted in the past and wanted to get on the straight and narrow and it was refreshing to hear. People can relate. Now that is what I call an admirable trait.

I just think there's no need for everyone to be so venomous to him and keep chucking it in his face. That would just suggest that he's got under their skin more than they think a little of which, I've no doubt he probably relishes.

I'm not a member of the Troy Deeney fan club by the way, but I admire certain characteristics of him and simply see things from a different perspective.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I don't particularly dislike Deeney and agree with his comments about Arsenal but maybe if he starts elbowing and squaring up to people more his size and stature then he'll get the respect you obviously crave for him. Until then he'll just seem like a bully boy.

There is a place for the Deeney's of the game, they've always done okay, Davies and his ilk were the same. Thankfully though he is viewed more and more of a throwback, as English football evolves into something which could well be successful.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You're definitely giving the impression you're more bothered than you should be about Deeney although I appreciate you may have thought I was singling you out and taken umbridge.

This is simply my opinion, it would be boring if we all saw things the same way right?

Personally, I don't disagree with you that he's put himself in the spotlight for saying something publically but equally, that shouldn't be shoved down his throat constantly just because he said it once.

He based his opinion on the fact he'd played against Arsenal numerous times and had plenty of joy against them, it wasn't a one off.

Was he wrong? No. What he said, we'd all been saying for ages on here in a roundabout way so it was truth. Arsenal beat them in the return fixture so they got their just desserts and have beaten them against since.

I respect Deeney for being so honest. That same night Watford won, he gave one of the best interviews I've seen on BT Sport talking about how bad he'd acted in the past and wanted to get on the straight and narrow and it was refreshing to hear. People can relate. Now that is what I call an admirable trait.

I just think there's no need for everyone to be so venomous to him and keep chucking it in his face. That would just suggest that he's got under their skin more than they think a little of which, I've no doubt he probably relishes.

I'm not a member of the Troy Deeney fan club by the way, but I admire certain characteristics of him and simply see things from a different perspective.

It's not venomous or being shoved down his throat though is it? It's just people laughing at him, and he still shouldn't have said that because there's a difference between dickheads like us insulting teams on social media and an actual professional coming out and doing it on national television. Talk about giving the opponent's team talk for them. He may have been right in the sense that it was an honest assessment of Arsenal's mentality but it clearly hasn't helped him or his team playing them again in the future, it's totally backfired.

For the bit in bold, I'm sorry but just no. Rehabilitation is important and fair play to him for being willing to speak about it publicly, he's trying to set a good example for others that have been in the same boat as him, I have no problem with any of that, but I'm also not going to get the red carpet out for someone just because he's learned how to act like a normal human being after previously doing time for being a thug. An admirable trait would be reaching the age of 24 and realising that it's not a good thing to kick the shit out of someone and end up in jail like the 99.9% of normal human beings out there who don't get called a good example for others because they didn't need time in prison to teach them how to be a functioning part of society.

And enough of the 'being more bothered than you should be' comments. Same as you, this is just my opinion. Saying that someone is more bothered than they should be about something goes into the same family of counter arguments as calling them rattled.

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

It's refreshing for him to publicly have a go at a club far above the club he plays for and it shouldn't be held against him but no one should say anything about him...?

People are bang on about Deeney being a limited footballer who turns to being an aggressive coward on the field because he has little else. We're only saying what everyone thinks. That shouldn't be used against us... Difference of course is that none of us are footballers publicly talking negatively about an opposition player or team lacking in certain areas. Lacks class and in his case, lacks self awareness.

• The title was changed to Watford 0-1 Arsenal - Monday 15th April, 2019
3 hours ago, 6666 said:

It's refreshing for him to publicly have a go at a club far above the club he plays for and it shouldn't be held against him but no one should say anything about him...?

People are bang on about Deeney being a limited footballer who turns to being an aggressive coward on the field because he has little else. We're only saying what everyone thinks. That shouldn't be used against us... Difference of course is that none of us are footballers publicly talking negatively about an opposition player or team lacking in certain areas. Lacks class and in his case, lacks self awareness.

Wait I'm not understanding your first point. You can't have a go at a bigger club if you play for a smaller club? That's a bit of an arbitrary and weird rule.

Tbh I don't like Deeney. He talks a lot and he's a bit of a twat, he acts like a hardman but only really gets very physical with smaller players - which isn't really hard at all. But I don't see why he can't make a comment about Arsenal just because he plays for a smaller side.

But this is someone who's on record of saying when he plays Arsenal the first thing he does is try to hit someone to see who's up for it, and then got sent off elbowing someone in the head. So he's obviously a dickhead.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But this is someone who's on record of saying when he plays Arsenal the first thing he does is try to hit someone to see who's up for it, and then got sent off elbowing someone in the head. So he's obviously a dickhead.

He's true to his word if nothing else xD

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wait I'm not understanding your first point. You can't have a go at a bigger club if you play for a smaller club? That's a bit of an arbitrary and weird rule.

You can have a go but saying certain things will obviously make you look stupid. Making a comment where you're seemingly making fun, looking down on a club and suggesting they don't have what it takes to go anywhere automatically results in people having the easy comeback of reminding him that he's not really in a position to look down or make fun and that he himself, as a footballer, hasn't gotten anywhere with his "let me whack them" style of play. If it was simply a case of analysis then it's whatever but he gave the interview in an "I'm better than them" attitude which was the main issue.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

You can have a go but saying certain things will obviously make you look stupid. Making a comment where you're seemingly making fun, looking down on a club and suggesting they don't have what it takes to go anywhere automatically results in people having the easy comeback of reminding him that he's not really in a position to look down or make fun and that he himself, as a footballer, hasn't gotten anywhere with his "let me whack them" style of play. If it was simply a case of analysis then it's whatever but he gave the interview in an "I'm better than them" attitude which was the main issue.

Wasn't his initial comment something like "I don't think Arsenal have leadership on the pitch anymore, and I used to watch Arsenal when they had many world class players with leaders all over the pitch" - then he said the dumb shite about hitting Arsenal players to see who's up for it later. But the initial comment sounds like he's saying that Watford ended up winning 2-1 because they had mental strength where Arsenal didn't. I don't think that's much different from just saying "we were up for it more" - it also sort of implys he's got a soft spot for Arsenal since he's commenting about their mental strength compared to the Arsenal he remembers watching. Hasn't he also subsequently said Arsenal have shown more character since he made that statement?

I'd be more pissed off at him for the comment about hitting Arsenal players just for the hell of it, than him saying that Arsenal lacked leadership in Wenger's last season... especially because Arsenal did lack leadership in Wenger's final season.

At the same time, maybe him making that comment helped the referee feel more comfortable giving out the red card. Here there's an incident where you've got someone on record saying he's going to hit other players early on in the match, hitting another player early on in the match. A lot of the time referees are reluctant to give anything more than a warning early on. So maybe him publicly revealing a dickhead was a good thing for Arsenal on the night. Especially because I don't think Arsenal were very good at all against a 10 man side that was down a goal very early on - pretty nervy game considering the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn't his initial comment something like "I don't think Arsenal have leadership on the pitch anymore, and I used to watch Arsenal when they had many world class players with leaders all over the pitch" - then he said the dumb shite about hitting Arsenal players to see who's up for it later. But the initial comment sounds like he's saying that Watford ended up winning 2-1 because they had mental strength where Arsenal didn't. I don't think that's much different from just saying "we were up for it more" - it also sort of implys he's got a soft spot for Arsenal since he's commenting about their mental strength compared to the Arsenal he remembers watching. Hasn't he also subsequently said Arsenal have shown more character since he made that statement?

I'd be more pissed off at him for the comment about hitting Arsenal players just for the hell of it, than him saying that Arsenal lacked leadership in Wenger's last season... especially because Arsenal did lack leadership in Wenger's final season.

At the same time, maybe him making that comment helped the referee feel more comfortable giving out the red card. Here there's an incident where you've got someone on record saying he's going to hit other players early on in the match, hitting another player early on in the match. A lot of the time referees are reluctant to give anything more than a warning early on. So maybe him publicly revealing a dickhead was a good thing for Arsenal on the night. Especially because I don't think Arsenal were very good at all against a 10 man side that was down a goal very early on - pretty nervy game considering the circumstances.

It's more the comment about "not having cojones", which he obviously just said as a bit of fun, that made it seem like he's being a massive bellend. Things definitely haven't gone his way against us since making that comment so overall it's more a case of being able to make fun of him for being a bellend...

• The topic was unpinned

Archived