The better place to talk football.

On This Day...

football forum

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

27th May 1972:
England’s Alan Ball wound up a 119,325 Hampden Park crowd by wiping his nose on a corner flag bearing the Cross of St Andrew. England beat Scotland 1-0 – Ball scored the goal.

Still to this day the greatest team display I've ever witnessed in a final. Masterpiece of a performance to signature off a season produced by, in my opinion, the greatest team of all time. 

• Subscriber
On 28/05/2020 at 15:31, Cicero said:

Still to this day the greatest team display I've ever witnessed in a final. Masterpiece of a performance to signature off a season produced by, in my opinion, the greatest team of all time.

:( Don't show up, shame.

:D   Edit: Showing now :congrats:

14 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Oh yes, Paul Dickov, the wee Scottish striker with a Bulgarian grandfather. Dickov was a very useful forward, the type of player who gave 100% when out on the pitch. I'm surprised that he didn't have that many international appearances for Scotland to be honest.

• Administrator

Dickov was a tireless forward. Enjoyed his stints with us as he gave us that 'non-route-one' tactic. Absolute terrier and had that aggression in him to just chase and chase and chase all game. Not a bad finisher too!

• Subscriber

On this day...

Quote.thumb.png.70e3b76c320aee3a7fac48d6dc8c7195.png

Dutch destroy Italy, Gomez makes difference & Denmark cause a shock

BBC Sport rounds up the best archive action from 9 June in European Championship history.

At Euro 2008, there was a battle of the giants as the Netherlands took on world champions Italy.

In 2012, Mario Gomez helped Germany beat Portugal and Michael Krohn-Dehli scored the only goal as Denmark surprised the Dutch.

VIDEO

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.thumb.png.4729e824b9eb296fac6e1dbd558d3165.png

5 years since Claudio Pizarro's final goal for Peru. I remember it, very cagey game vs Venezuela. He beat a couple defenders via a through ball and smashes it bar down. 

Shame his Peru career never truly kicked off but I blame Chemo del Solar for suspending him during the 2010 qualifiers, when he was in his best ever form with Bremen. @nudge

Archived