talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

On This Day...

football forum

football forum

It's literally as the title suggests, I'll post up things that happened ''On this day'' in football as I'm sure over time we'll have a big hit of nostalgia when some memorable moments get brought up. 

Without further ado, the first entry is below;

20th April: 

• Sergio Ramos drops the Copa del Rey trophy from Real Madrid's open top bus onto the floor below
  • Colo-Colo is formed and becomes one of the most successful teams in Chile 
  • Moscow expands as Spartak Moscow are formed

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

2nd May:

• David Beckham (England) is born.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant the Indonesian David Beckham. 

• Subscriber

I'll never get my head around Derby 2007/08. How is it even possible to be that awful? We went down from the Championship that year and beat as many PL sides as they did.

11 points from 38 games. Absolutely astounding when you consider even Villa got 17 last year. It wasn't even that they were narrowly getting beaten either. They took so many slaughterings.

• Subscriber

Tottenham 4-0 Derby

Liverpool 6-0 Derby

Arsenal 5-0 Derby

Derby 0-5 West Ham

Man Utd 4-1 Derby

Chelsea 6-1 Derby

Derby 0-6 Aston Villa

Derby 2-6 Arsenal

Derby 0-4 Reading

A run of over seven and a half games without a goal, ended in the 4-1 loss at Man Utd

That's so bad it's almost impressive xD

EDIT: Forgot to include going out of the cups at home to Blackpool and Preston. Preston, Championship strugglers, won 1-4 at Derby xD

Jesus. That's beyond belief. I'm convinced you'll never see a worse PL side again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

21 years ago today Germany won their first tournament as a unified nation, as they won Euro 96 against Czech Republic. Also the first tournament to be decided by golden goal. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1996_Final#Match

Ironically, one of Germany's strikers that day, Stefan Kuntz, is managing the Germany U21s in tonight's final vs Spain. 

Martin Palermo missed 3 penalties against Colombia in the 1999 Copa America. Colombia went on to win the game 3-0.

On this day, Pedro Troglio won the Paraguayan Apertura with Cerro Porteño in 2009. He's a great manager, but is it the biggest manager title win fluke of all time? He won it in his first 2 games in charge.

Archived