• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

On This Day...

football forum

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Van Persie is the only one who can compete, though he only stayed fit for a couple of full seasons, his out and out goalscoring ability was up there with Thierry Henry but he just didn't do it for enough of an extended period to really come into the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

I wished this guy had played for United, one of the greats for me  :x

Still one of the best hat-tricks the PL has ever seen.

And the way that game ended was pretty decent too ;) 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Still one of the best hat-tricks the PL has ever seen.

And the way that game ended was pretty decent too ;) 

To think he had a fear of flying thus he got the nickname 'The Non-Flying Dutchman' but if Arsenal were playing in Europe he would make his own way across by car or coach and still play his heart out, one of the best there was in his time.

Quote.thumb.png.8308e4d6610d0045c16239a698a6f1f1.png

Aviophobia

Bergkamp's nickname is the "Non-Flying Dutchman" due to his fear of flying. Contemporary sources believed that this stemmed from incidents with the Netherlands national team at the 1994 World Cup where the engine of the plane cut out during a flight, and when a flight was delayed because a journalist made a joke about having a bomb in his bag. In his 2013 autobiography, Bergkamp stated that his phobia was in fact caused by his time at Inter Milan, in which they regularly travelled to away games in small aeroplanes. Bergkamp decided he would never fly again but did consider seeking psychiatric help:

"I've got this problem and I have to live with it. I can't do anything about it, it is a psychological thing and I can't explain it. I have not flown on a plane for two years. The Dutch FA has been sympathetic, so have Arsenal, so far. I am considering psychiatric help. I can't fly. I just freeze. I get panicky. It starts the day before when I can't sleep..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Bergkamp

Archived