• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Beatles Appreciation Thread

football forum

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I was into the Beatlemania bit when they were popular and even saw them live in Australia but as the years rolled on they became just another group to me and I think the success got to their heads in the end, all the "Paul McCartney is dead rumour" certainly sold their records.

The photo below from the Abbey Road LP is one of the fake "McCartney is dead" rumours and the photo of a barefooted Paul was a lookalike, in that photo the rumour was put out that was Lennon in white leading a funeral procession as the clergy, Ringo dressed in black as the undertaker, Paul barefooted as being dead and George in work clothes as the gravedigger.

The-Beatles-Abbey-Road-Album-cover-web-o

Being honest though I still love listening to all their songs as it brings back memories for me when I was a long-haired young lad and go to all the discos, god, those were the days, best songs for me was Hey Jude, The Long and Winding Road, Let it Be and a few more, the early 60's & early 70's era was the golden era for me and just not with the Beatles but the Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, Simon & Garfunkel, Nazareth, The Who (seen them live in Aussie land), The Doors, Pink Floyd and a lot more. :x 

Unbelievable band, two of the best vocalists in the same band and a constant ability to change and adapt. I'm quite rare in thinking their early stuff is on a par with their later stuff. There's no other artist that can match their popular success with critical acclaim, only Bob Dylan has changed popular music in a more profound way. To have a recording career which stretches barely over 6 years and leave such an imprint is never going to be done again.

I love The White Album the most, for all its meandering, chaotic nature and showcasing each of them at their best. With The Beatles a close second because it's the epitome of their early, ebullient energy which none of the pale imitators could match.

Underrated song: Girl on Rubber Soul, the greek guitar and hint of menace in Lennon's voice make it.

• Subscriber

I can remember in Australia when the Sgt Peppers album was released and some radio stations banned the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds which was written by John Lennon because they said it had the initials LSD in the title, John Lennon swore it had nothing to do with the drug but was inspired by a painting his then 3-year-old son Julian Lennon bought home from school he had drawn...

“I swear to God, or swear to Mao, or to anybody you like, I had no idea it spelt LSD,” John Lennon insisted to Rolling Stone in 1970 of the title of “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.” In interview after interview, Lennon begged listeners to accept that the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Bandstand out was “not an acid song.” The public, for their part, merely rolled their eyes.

Until the end of his life, Lennon maintained that the song was actually inspired by a painting that his three-year-old son Julian had made of Lucy O’Donnell, his classmate at Heath House nursery school. “This is the truth: My son came home with a drawing and showed me this strange-looking woman flying around,” he explained during an appearance on The Dick Cavett Show in 1971. “I said, ‘What is it?’ and he said, ‘It’s Lucy in the sky with diamonds,’ and I thought, ‘That’s beautiful.’ I immediately wrote a song about it. After the album had come out and the album had been published, someone noticed that the letters spelt out LSD and I had no idea about it. … But nobody believes me.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-sgt-pepper-at-50-remembering-the-real-lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds-121628/

On 13/04/2019 at 21:14, The Artful Dodger said:

Unbelievable band, two of the best vocalists in the same band and a constant ability to change and adapt. I'm quite rare in thinking their early stuff is on a par with their later stuff. There's no other artist that can match their popular success with critical acclaim, only Bob Dylan has changed popular music in a more profound way. To have a recording career which stretches barely over 6 years and leave such an imprint is never going to be done again.

I love The White Album the most, for all its meandering, chaotic nature and showcasing each of them at their best. With The Beatles a close second because it's the epitome of their early, ebullient energy which none of the pale imitators could match.

Underrated song: Girl on Rubber Soul, the greek guitar and hint of menace in Lennon's voice make it.

What are your other favourites mate? Maybe less obvious ones..

7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

What are your other favourites mate? Maybe less obvious ones..

Songs? Happiness is a Warm Gun is my favourite, it's like a history of music (up till that point) in one song, that song alone is why John Lennon was a genius. 

You Never Give Me Your Money is Paul at his best, Here, there and everywhere is a bit sickly sweet but shows off their harmonies at their absolute peak.

She Said, She Said is a beast with really mad lyrics.

Rain, that is such a superb song (on a b-side!)Oasis were originally called Rain and you can hear it in that song, Oasis' whole sound was based off that song from the guitar to Lennon singing shiii-iiiiiine...

I'm happy just to dance with you is a favourite early song with George Harrison on vocals. 

There's too many, they're a treasure chest of music. Such an incredible band.

• 1 month later...

Ouch, I didn't notice this topic.

Two of the best songwriters and performers of all time in the same band... no one can compete with them. Lennon's rock voice is just the greatest and I can't stress enough how much of a genius Paul is. Imagine you are given a guitar and a piece of paper and you come up with something like Yesterday or Blackbird? The mind boggles.

Funny thing, I admire Paul the most but my two favourite tracks are probably "Don't let me down" and "Come Together" which are both big Lennon hits. Some of my other favourites include "While my Guitar Gently Sweeps", "The End", "Yer Blues" and "Helter Skelter".

I agree that The White Album was their best. It's definitely the most Beatles album.

• Subscriber

1360631140_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.da87095f58db5d70e6b055f4e71ba7ec.png

Beatles-.jpg?w=980&q=75

The Beatles - White Album

The Beatles' self-titled 1968 LP, more commonly known as the White Album, was famously made while the band was falling apart.

As they became more entrenched in the studio, where they painstakingly assembled classic works like Revolver  and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, tensions among George HarrisonJohn LennonPaul McCartney and Ringo Starr boiled over to the point where they weren't a band anymore but backing groups for each other's solo recordings.

When The Beatles was released on Nov. 22, 1968, fans found 30 songs divided among four sides, with the majority of them, once again, penned by Lennon and McCartney. The album immediately reached No. 1 across the world and has consistently been named among the band's greatest works. (A 50th-anniversary  edition of the album -- expanded to six CDs and filled with demos, sessions and a new mix -- is due on Nov. 22.)

But there's no getting around it: The White Album often sounds like it was made by four different artists (more, if you count such outre nontraditional songs like "Revolution 9"). Within the record's 93 minutes are some of their greatest songs, but some of their biggest duds are there too, as you'll see in our list of Beatles White Album Songs Ranked Worst to Best.

List and Videos (songs)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-white-album-songs/

On 13/04/2019 at 22:21, Cannabis said:

Up there with Queen as one of the most overrated bands in existence.

I used to think that before I have them a proper go. Now, although they're not my favourite I could never question their status as the greatest musical artist of all time.

On 14/04/2019 at 05:14, The Artful Dodger said:

Stevie Wonder had a stretch in the 70's that came close. His run from music of my mind, or talking book to songs in the key of life was as close as anyone will ever come imo to the Beatles run from rubber soul to Abbey road.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

You haven't lived until you've been in a nightclub when Twist and Shout comes on

xD  

dancing_banana.gifbanana.gif

• Subscriber

I don't really know where to start with this group, so much complexity in simplicity is how I'd describe them. The words, the ability to play music that accentuates the feelings expressed by those words and the way in which they bring things full circle with everyone in the band to provide the experiences they did. Some of the songs that they played set the stage for so many artists in the late 70s and into the 80s with the advent of hard rock taking a bluesy turn due to the fascination so many of those musicians had with the Beatles (Led Zepplin does this very well too). I watched a video which had Paul Gilbert talk about early influences and he called out The Beatles and in particular Paul McCartney's easy flow of exotic piano and bass chord structures to create moods mid-song that weren't really used back then and how that worked for him when he started trying to improve his own understanding of stuff he'd then use on Mr Big's debut album with Billy Sheehan also working in a similar fashion. 

I really have two clear favorites and they are from two completely different experimental stages

• Michelle - The labored playing just goes so well with the words and trying to convey feelings to someone who may never understand them. It's also a great use of sevenths to express disappointment when the message falls on ears that don't understand what's being said. It's no surprise that Paul learned it from a jazz player and later George started using it on more records to add expression to codas or places where the vocals needed the music boosting the background.
  • I Feel Fine - For years I thought the intro was actually played with a sustain switch and then I learned that it was actually guitar feedback from putting a guitar too close to an amp (still happens today). The transition to a much faster paced track with a rock-a-bye bass line and the fact that everyone in the band really gets to showcase their skills is why I like this so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

45 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Anyone ever go a month or two without really listening to them and then wake up one day hungover to fuck and fall in love all over again? Fucking boss band. There's nobody close. 

True that I was listening to someone on the tv show The Voice once and one of the artists was singing Hey Jude and I said to the wife "FFS, he has fucked that song up something bad" and once the voice was finished, put my laptop on and went into Youtube and bought the song up and played it and me and the wife were singing along with it........

Seeing you bought the subject up xD

Archived