• Subscriber
1x1.gif

1x1.gifQuote.thumb.png.d98478ab5ab1442a149fde596353757a.png

1x1.gif 1x1.gif
whatgoeson_142x28.gif
1x1.gif
Latest Beatles News as of Friday, March 6, 2020

Early Beatles stage to go under the hammer in New York
The wooden stage of the small Liverpool venue where the Beatles performed before they rocketed to fame is going up for auction, along with Paul McCartney's hastily scribbled notes for a studio recording of the hit song Hey Jude. They are among 300 items of Beatles memorabilia being sold in New York on April 10.

Source: TRT World

Liverpool's music masterplan has been approved
The Liverpool City Council has approved a framework for the Cavern Quarter, including Mathew Street, home of the world-famous music venues the Cavern Club and Eric's, and nearby Williamson Square. The city will curate a clearer proposition around Liverpool's pivotal role in the story of popular and contemporary music.

Source: The Guide, Liverpool

Julian Lennon believes his father sent him a message from the afterlife
When losing a loved one, it's only natural to wish that they could communicate something of significance. Julian Lennon not only longed for this but received it loud and clear. The message he interpreted from his late father John Lennon was so meaningful that it changed his life and motivated him to change the lives of others.

Source: Idolator

Beatles passed on the song that became George Harrison's last #1 hit
Got My Mind Set on You was one of the biggest hits of George Harrison's post-Beatles career. What many fans don't know is it's a cover of a song from the 1960s. The Beatles could have released their own rendition, but John Lennon and Paul McCartney were less interested in covers when they could create hits of their own.

Source: Cheat Sheet

https://www.beatlesnews.com/

1x1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6aec04d0df22a40726afd2e4260adc8f.png

Paul McCartney ‘psychedelic piano’ designs saved from a skip to be sold at auction

paulmccartney1250.jpg

Sketches and designs for Paul McCartney’s psychedelic piano – commissioned by the Beatle for the 1967 ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ – are to go up for auction, 20 years after they were found in a skip.

Builder Andy Clynes rescued the discarded papers while working on a project in Manchester in 1999, before storing them in his attic and forgetting about them. Recently he decided to have them valued and the drawings are now expected to sell for £2000 at an auction in Liverpool later this month.

The piano’s decoration was designed by art collective BEV and painted by Dudley Edwards (the E in BEV), who lived with McCartney for a period in 1967. Originally used on the Beatles’ ‘Magical Mystery Tour’, McCartney has played the piano a number of times since, including for a performance at the 2014 Grammy Awards.

As well as the piano designs, Omega Auctions will sell other papers obtained by Clynes in his skip haul later this year, expected to raise more than £10,000 in total.

“I picked them out of the skip”, Clynes tells PA of finding the documents. “The case burst open as it was thrown in. It was raining and I just picked up what I could. I imagine there was a lot more there, but it was damaged”.

Auctioneer Paul Fairweather adds: “It’s fantastic that such an important archive was recovered and even better for our vendor that it should prove a lucrative decision to save them from the skip. The designs of BEV encapsulate the optimism, excitement and free spirit of collaboration that ensures that the late 1960s endure in the popular consciousness even to this day”.

The piano designs will be sold in a wider auction of Beatles memorabilia on 24 Mar.  Find out more here.

https://completemusicupdate.com/article/paul-mccartney-psychedelic-piano-designs-saved-from-skip-to-be-sold-at-auction/

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Machado said:

If you were drunk and someone played you this telling you it's a hidden track by The Beatles, would you believe it?

Nope, I can just imagine @Spike with the funny hat playing that piano :hh:  xD 

Tame Impala is a psychedelic music project of Australian multi-instrumentalist Kevin Parker

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Machado said:

If you were drunk and someone played you this telling you it's a hidden track by The Beatles, would you believe it?

If it was just that intro I might be persuaded into thinking it was some bootleg track but once the vocals hit its a big no.

• Subscriber
Just now, Machado said:

Sounds a lot like Lennon for me.

I'm trying to find a track to show the two together but the voice on the Tame Impala track has too much low mid-range to be Lennon for me. 

And there you go. That low drop is a bit hard with Lennon's vocal range.

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Nope, I can just imagine @Spike with the funny hat playing that piano :hh:  xD 

Tame Impala is a psychedelic music project of Australian multi-instrumentalist Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker is a little bitch, that I'd drink under the table. He definitely has more money though.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b57a37a1bf3877792283474f252209aa.png

THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS TO RELEASE ACCLAIMED FILMMAKER PETER JACKSON’S DOCUMENTARY "THE BEATLES: GET BACK" IN THEATERS NATIONWIDE SEPTEMBER 4, 2020

thebeatles_getback_1.jpg?itok=b7RHv4cp&t

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.png.cc9bfca5610618446adcae39504a142d.png

New film features extensive, never-before-seen footage of the legendary band’s "Let It Be" recording sessions along with the entire iconic rooftop concert, fully restored  

BURBANK, Calif. (March 11, 2020)—The Walt Disney Studios has acquired the worldwide distribution rights to acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s previously announced Beatles documentary. The film will showcase the warmth, camaraderie and humour of the making of the legendary band’s studio album, "Let It Be," and their final live concert as a group, the iconic rooftop performance on London’s Savile Row. "The Beatles: Get Back" will be released by The Walt Disney Studios in the United States and Canada on September 4, 2020, with additional details and dates for the film’s global release to follow. The announcement was made earlier today by Robert A. Iger, Executive Chairman, The Walt Disney Company, at Disney’s annual meeting of shareholders.

"No band has had the kind of impact on the world that The Beatles have had, and ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ is a front-row seat to the inner workings of these genius creators at a seminal moment in music history, with spectacularly restored footage that looks like it was shot yesterday," says Iger of the announcement. "I’m a huge fan myself, so I could not be happier that Disney is able to share Peter Jackson’s stunning documentary with global audiences in September."

READ MORE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.a8adf02c015a763be1871dc766c6ac9d.png

Beatles Photo as Quarrymen Emerges on Anniversary of Fab Four’s Split

Beatles-Quarrymen-1959-Tracks-Ltd-via-Pr

A 1959 photo of teenagers Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison has emerged from their days in the Quarrymen, the band that the three were in, with other Liverpool friends, a year before the trio split off to form the Beatles in 1960.

The grainy image, from the collector's site, Tracks Ltd., was shared in the early hours of Friday, April 10 (GMT), the 50th anniversary of the day McCartney announced that he was leaving the Beatles.

FULL REPORT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.1e68fca64a79f25ff0b8aa69d13f3d0d.png

Beatles Photographer Astrid Kirchherr Dies at 81

by Best Classic Bands Staff

Astrid Kirchherr, the art student and photographer who met The Beatles during their visit to Hamburg, Germany, in 1960 and ultimately received near-unparalleled access to them in their early years, died Wednesday, May 13. She was 81. Her death was announced by the noted Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn on Twitter. “Her gift to the Beatles was immeasurable,” he wrote.

When she first met The Beatles, Kirchherr, born May 20, 1938, was a young art student in Hamburg, studying photography under the tutelage of Germany’s respected architectural and still life photographer, Reinhart Wolf. Kirchherr fell in love with The Beatles’ rock ‘n’ roll aesthetic and, against the backdrop of post-war Hamburg, she created. some of the most iconic portraits ever taken of the band

FULL REPORT

Olivia Harrison also posted a tribute to Kirchherr.

694629098_download(3).png.849cd3eb2234ce79468a057e77f71e30.png

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.cfae3f2e567fc060336e5b5b05d29067.png

The Beatles' 'Penny Lane' Namesake Wasn't In Honor Of A Slave Merchant

London 2012 - UK Landmarks - The Beatles Liverpool

Beatles fans can take a large sigh of relief — it turns out the street "Penny Lane" was named after doesn't have ties to slavery.

Last week, in the midst of Black Lives Matter protests, the Penny Lane street sign in Liverpool was defaced after it was thought to be named in honour of James Penny, a notorious 17th-century slave merchant who vocalized opposition to abolition. If confirmed, the iconic road was in danger of being renamed.

Thankfully, the International Slavery Museum debunked suspicions in a recent statement.

“After speaking with Liverpool slavery historian Laurence Westgaph, Tony Tibbles, our Emeritus Keeper of Slavery History (also former Director of Merseyside Maritime Museum) and historian and blogger Glen Huntley, we have concluded that the comprehensive research available to us now demonstrates that there is no historical evidence linking Penny Lane to James Penny," the statement reads. "We are therefore extending our original review and setting up a participative project to renew our interactive display.”

Historian Ralph MacDonald recently explained to Rolling Stone that he and a group of historians "have been working on this since about 2010 together — if not slightly earlier individually. It’s been an academic debate, really. So it’s a bit of a surprise to us all, to be honest. We’re sort of taken aback. We’re not used to this larger media interest in the names of streets going back to this, you know, 17 and 1800s — it’s not the usual thing that makes the news.”

https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-06-22-the-beatles-penny-lane-namesake-wasnt-in-honor-of-a-slave-merchant/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.03a78261fbc4be651d40161bff137562.png

‘Get Back’; Liverpool attraction The Beatles Story set to reopen its doors

ENTRANCEPR1.jpg?fm=webp&fit=fill&w=830&h

ssssssssssss.png.0f81b3a75dcc4f5efc167f4beb02f5d5.png

Liverpool attraction The Beatles Story, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, is set to reopen its doors on Monday 20 July after being awarded Visit Britain’s ‘We’re Good To Go’ certification.

The certification means it has the relevant safety measures in place and a process to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.

The awarding-winning attraction welcomes record-breaking numbers of visitors each year from all around the world, and is based in the hometown of The Beatles is considered a ‘must-visit’ pilgrimage for many Beatles’ fans.

RINGOPR1.jpg?fm=webp&fit=fill&w=830&h=46

22.png.4ed19bd80140422dcab08a917fc806df.png

The attraction will reopen with the launch of a number of upgrades including new artefacts, exhibits and exciting immersive animations in the replica Cavern Club and John Lennon’s White Room.

download.thumb.png.4853bdf38e57790b723852857980f662.png

“There will, of course, be restrictions in place and we must all still do everything we can to limit the spread of the virus. This includes extra handwash facilities, queue management systems, restricted admission numbers and signage clearly displayed throughout our attraction.”

WHITEROOMPR1.jpg?fm=webp&fit=fill&w=830&

33.png.fe2892795fdfdca8a6851c8ff82e27ef.png

“As part of our 30th-anniversary celebrations, we will be launching a number of new exhibits and immersive upgrades one of which is a new Ringo exhibit featuring a personal message to The Beatles Story from Ringo and articles from his personal collection to commemorate his 80 h birthday.”

“The whole team are now raring to go and can’t wait to ‘Get Back’, reopen the doors and welcome our visitors once again.”

ITV News

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Maya Hawke to star in ‘Revolver’ with Ethan Hawke as a teen on a mission to bed George Harrison

Maya plays Jane, who's set on losing her virginity to The Beatles guitarist

mayahawke-georgeharrison-2000x1270-1-696

Maya Hawke; George Harrison. CREDIT: Alessandra Benedetti - Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images; Mark and Colleen Hayward/Redferns

Ethan and Maya Hawke will both star in a film in which Maya will portray a teen who’s determined to lose her virginity to George Harrison.

Revolver, which is being helmed by Finding Nemo co-director Andrew Stanton, will see Ethan and Maya portray father and daughter in the ’60s-set romantic comedy.

Variety reports that Maya will play Jane, a teenager resident of Anchorage, Alaska. The film is set in 1966 when a flight to Japan carrying The Beatles is forced to make an unexpected stop at the city. Jane then dreams up a plan to lose her virginity to The Beatles guitarist.

Kate Trefry (Stranger Things, Fear Street film trilogy) has written the script, and 3311 production’s Ross Jacobson and Jen Dana are on hand to produce. The film will be introduced at next month’s American Film Market.

ethanhawke-mayahawke-2000x1270-1-1392x88

Ethan Hawke, Maya Hawke at arrivals for 2018 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Arrivals 2, Santa Monica Beach, Santa Monica, CA March 3, 2018. CREDIT: Elizabeth Goodenough/Everett Collection/Alamy Live News

Ethan currently stars in – and has co-written as well as executive produced – the limited series The Good Lord Bird for Showtime.

Maya was most recently seen in Gia Coppola’s Mainstream, which premiered at the Venice Film Festival, and the third season of Netflix’s Stranger Things. She also released her debut album, ‘Blush’, in August.

In a four-star review of the album, NME‘s Rhian Daly wrote: “‘Blush’ shows the work of a songwriter who, even as something of a rookie, can command your attention and emotions with the most effortless of lines and make you consider your own life and relationships with the gentle encouragement of a close friend. Hold ‘Blush’ close – it’s a special one.”

https://www.nme.com/news/film/maya-hawke-to-star-in-revolver-with-ethan-hawke-as-a-teen-on-mission-to-bed-george-harrison-2805616

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 19/12/2020 at 05:23, Machado said:

It's almost rude how Paul McCartney just put out some of his finest crafted music to date.

Hes like Hannibal Smith "Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months, I'm unbeatable."

I listened to the White Album again yesterday. It really could have used some editing, a very jarring experience listening to some of the greatest pop songs of all time followed up by some real stinkers. Honey Pie has to be one of the worst songs of all time.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

nice that. really nice. I liked the part where John was reading the news and George was giving two shits playing his guitar.

They seemed to have loads of fun. Not sure if I'm most curious about the rooftop set or the studio stuff. It's crazy that they have 60 hours of unseen footage.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Machado said:

They seemed to have loads of fun. Not sure if I'm most curious about the rooftop set or the studio stuff. It's crazy that they have 60 hours of unseen footage.

I'm definitely more interested in the studio stuff because I think they really let their hair down and just enjoyed themselves more in those times. I do agree that its crazy they hvae 60hrs of footage that is unseen because you'd imagine after all this time someone would have put some of it together for show. can't wait to see the finished product in August this year. 

• 3 months later...

Archived