Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
carefreeluke

The Beatles Appreciation Thread

I was into the Beatlemania bit when they were popular and even saw them live in Australia but as the years rolled on they became just another group to me and I think the success got to their heads in the end, all the "Paul McCartney is dead rumour" certainly sold their records.

The photo below from the Abbey Road LP is one of the fake "McCartney is dead" rumours and the photo of a barefooted Paul was a lookalike, in that photo the rumour was put out that was Lennon in white leading a funeral procession as the clergy, Ringo dressed in black as the undertaker, Paul barefooted as being dead and George in work clothes as the gravedigger.

The-Beatles-Abbey-Road-Album-cover-web-o

Being honest though I still love listening to all their songs as it brings back memories for me when I was a long-haired young lad and go to all the discos, god, those were the days, best songs for me was Hey Jude, The Long and Winding Road, Let it Be and a few more, the early 60's & early 70's era was the golden era for me and just not with the Beatles but the Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, Simon & Garfunkel, Nazareth, The Who (seen them live in Aussie land), The Doors, Pink Floyd and a lot more. :x 

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Up there with Queen as one of the most overrated bands in existence.

Beatles released some excellent stuff in the later years.

Unbelievable band, two of the best vocalists in the same band and a constant ability to change and adapt. I'm quite rare in thinking their early stuff is on a par with their later stuff. There's no other artist that can match their popular success with critical acclaim, only Bob Dylan has changed popular music in a more profound way. To have a recording career which stretches barely over 6 years and leave such an imprint is never going to be done again.

I love The White Album the most, for all its meandering, chaotic nature and showcasing each of them at their best. With The Beatles a close second because it's the epitome of their early, ebullient energy which none of the pale imitators could match.

Underrated song: Girl on Rubber Soul, the greek guitar and hint of menace in Lennon's voice make it.

The song 'Let it Be' where McCartney sang in the lyrics ' Mother Mary comes to me ...' was to do with his mother named Mary McCartney.

50140952_1448340994.jpg

Edited by CaaC - John

I can remember in Australia when the Sgt Peppers album was released and some radio stations banned the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds which was written by John Lennon because they said it had the initials LSD in the title, John Lennon swore it had nothing to do with the drug but was inspired by a painting his then 3-year-old son Julian Lennon bought home from school he had drawn...

“I swear to God, or swear to Mao, or to anybody you like, I had no idea it spelt LSD,” John Lennon insisted to Rolling Stone in 1970 of the title of “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.” In interview after interview, Lennon begged listeners to accept that the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Bandstand out was “not an acid song.” The public, for their part, merely rolled their eyes.

Until the end of his life, Lennon maintained that the song was actually inspired by a painting that his three-year-old son Julian had made of Lucy O’Donnell, his classmate at Heath House nursery school. “This is the truth: My son came home with a drawing and showed me this strange-looking woman flying around,” he explained during an appearance on The Dick Cavett Show in 1971. “I said, ‘What is it?’ and he said, ‘It’s Lucy in the sky with diamonds,’ and I thought, ‘That’s beautiful.’ I immediately wrote a song about it. After the album had come out and the album had been published, someone noticed that the letters spelt out LSD and I had no idea about it. … But nobody believes me.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-sgt-pepper-at-50-remembering-the-real-lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds-121628/