talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Beatles Appreciation Thread

football forum

On 11/01/2021 at 16:50, Machado said:

This is now a three part doc series to be aired on Disney+ in November. Shame it doesn't get cinema time. They probably think it would flop with covid still around?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Machado said:

This is now a three part doc series to be aired on Disney+ in November. Shame it doesn't get cinema time. They probably think it would flop with covid still around?

I watched that a while back buts it's sad yet nostalgic to me looking at the fab 4 but together but knowing John & George are not with us anymore on planet earth. :(

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Paul McCartney to reveal unseen Beatles lyrics in new book

Paul McCartney will include the previously unseen lyrics to an unrecorded Beatles song in his forthcoming book The Lyrics.

236580783_10225080240609025_4755268309387712533_n.jpg

© Photograph: David Redfern/Redferns Paul McCartney with the Beatles at the 1963 Royal Variety Performance.

On Monday, the former Beatle revealed the 154 songs to feature in the book, which will be based on conversations McCartney had with the poet Paul Muldoon. Described as a “ self-portrait in 154 songs&rdquo. The Lyrics will feature songs from throughout McCartney&rsquo's career, including Blackbird, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Band on the Run and Yesterday.

Publisher Allen Lane said the book would also feature the lyrics to the unrecorded song Tell Me Who He Is. The handwritten and never-before-seen lyrics were found in one of McCartney&rsquo's notebooks – believed to date back to the early 1960s – while preparing the book.

The book will be released on 2 November and will also include “ many further treasures” from McCartney&rsquo's archives, said Allen Lane, from handwritten lyric sheets to previously unseen personal photographs, drafts and drawings. Each song – from All My Loving to Yellow Submarine – will come with commentary from McCartney about its creation.

“ More often than I can count, I&rsquo've been asked if I would write an autobiography, but the time has never been right,” writes McCartney in a foreword to the book. “ The one thing I&rsquo've always managed to do, whether at home or on the road, is to write new songs. I know that some people, when they get to a certain age, like to go to a diary to recall day-to-day events from the past, but I have no such notebooks. What I do have are my songs, hundreds of them, which I&rsquo've learned serve much the same purpose. And these songs span my entire life.”

Muldoon, the Pulitzer prize-winning Northern Irish poet, previously told the Guardian that the book was based on a series of meetings he had had with McCartney over five years, during which they discussed the background to his songs “ in a very intensive way”.

“In a strange way, our process mimicked the afternoon sessions he had with John Lennon when they wrote for the Beatles. We were determined never to leave the room without something interesting,” said, Muldoon. “He looks long and hard into every aspect of life and I believe readers, old and new, will be struck by a book that will show that side of him. He’s going to come out of this book as a major literary figure.”

Beatles biographer Bob Spitz said he was “keener than keen” to see the lyrics to Tell Me Who He Is. “Discovering a new Beatles song would be like unearthing the sarcophagus of Cleopatra on an archeological dig,” said Spitz. “ John&rsquo's and Paul&rsquo's notebooks were full of half-started lyrics, even finished songs that they discarded. During the early years, the songs were coming so fast and furiously that several were either overlooked or stashed in the back of a drawer. One can only imagine how many Beatles-worthy lyrics were relegated to the bin.

“ None of the discarded lyrics has previously been published. The Beatles and their heirs are strong protectors of their brand and I doubt we’ ll see any lyrics other than those sanctioned by the surviving members of the band. But Beatles fans will dissect Tell Me Who He Is word-for-word for any clue to this amazing band’s past.”

Guardian music writer Richard Williams said: “ Tell Me Who He Is seems an enigmatic title – is the ‘he’ a love rival, or perhaps the messiah? – but until we’ ve seen it, we won’t know whether this lyric was written by the Paul of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Silly Love Songs or the McCartney of Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane.”

The book’s release will also be accompanied by a new display from the British Library, featuring a range of material from the book, including the unseen lyrics to Tell Me Who He Is. The exhibition, in the British Library&rsquo's entrance hall, will run from 5 November to 13 March 2022.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/paul-mccartney-to-reveal-unseen-beatles-lyrics-in-new-book/ar-AANDI1h?li=AAnZ9Ug

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 29/08/2021 at 00:15, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve only started collecting vinyls about a year now. But I’ve finally got an album I’ve always wanted to own (not first press, but an early one)

E945470D-40C8-4EF3-BF54-55FC6362D4CA.jpeg

Had that album and others but lost them in storage when we moved, but that LP centred around the myth that Paul was dead and that was a fake Paul taking his place but the myth certainly made the LP a big seller :8_laughing:

Could you name all the celebrities on the album cover? I doubt it the same as me but I got a few like the Beatles themselves, Monroe, Dillon, Ali and a few more.

sgt-pepper.jpg

download.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

John Lennon: Recording of unreleased song up for auction in Denmark

002e243e-4757-4036-878c-7affc9f71c7c.png

A rare cassette recording of John Lennon and Yoko Ono will be auctioned in the Danish capital Copenhagen on Tuesday.

The 33-minute audio track was made by four Danish teenagers more than 50 years ago, and just months before The Beatles announced their break up.

It features an interview with the couple and what is believed to be a never-released song.

The auction house selling it estimates it could fetch between $32,000-50,000 (£23,000-£36,000) and is likely to go to a museum or collector.

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2021 at 16:50, Machado said:

Did part 1 today. Two and a half hours but so worth it.

Watching Paul McCartney create is... cool, he exudes talent. You can't tell he was the main genius behind the music and the reason the Beatles were still together at that point.

I like to think I'm more understanding than ever and I was ready to see Yoko in a screen for a long time, but she still managed to annoy me.

I just watched part 1 last night. My wife thought it was boring as fuck but I thought it was great.

11 hours ago, Machado said:

I like to think I'm more understanding than ever and I was ready to see Yoko in a screen for a long time, but she still managed to annoy me.

Tbf watching her during some of the parts of them jamming is underrated comedy. There's various things she's doing... pulling various fried food out of bags and eating them, casually reading a newspaper, sorting through a shitload of letters, suddenly disappearing entirely - and for so much of that nobody (even John) is acknowledging her existence.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just watched part 1 last night. My wife thought it was boring as fuck but I thought it was great.

Tbf watching her during some of the parts of them jamming is underrated comedy. There's various things she's doing... pulling various fried food out of bags and eating them, casually reading a newspaper, sorting through a shitload of letters, suddenly disappearing entirely - and for so much of that nobody (even John) is acknowledging her existence.

Having a goat there would have the same effect, except there would be less screeching with the goat.

The second episode was really interesting and a little less depressing than the first one, because there's so much less fighting and tension. You can see the talk Paul has with John really changed John's mood and approach to everything & that definitely had an impact on George's mentality.

You can also see how the change of scenery and environment to something they're much more comfortable working in makes a big difference to them. Also you see less of that annoying twat Michael Lindsay-Hogg (who is absolutely insufferable, I dunno how they tolerated being around him for so long) and that makes it much more pleasant.

• Subscriber

I'll start watching this sometime this week. I've heard only good things about it from other friends who play and I was always fascinated more with how they went about writing their music than the actual final product which I hear is a large part of this series.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I'll start watching this sometime this week. I've heard only good things about it from other friends who play and I was always fascinated more with how they went about writing their music than the actual final product which I hear is a large part of this series.

It's fantastic, you'll love it.

Watching them jam and create music is incredible. There's one point where Ringo and Michael Lindsay-Hogg (who again, is insufferable xD) are talking and Paul is working something out on the piano and when you hear what it is... it's sort of mind blowing.

It's long, but it's a masterpiece (at least if you're a big fan of The Beatles).

I'll finish this today. Episode II is even more focused on the music and less on the drama which is good, very good. Any musician will have a difficult time not loving every minute of this series.

So mind blowing seeing Paul come up with Get Back on the spot and Lennon doing an early version of Jealous Guy.

32 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Great this. Not enough John though, it's clear he's still the leader. Shame he's turning into a bit of a melt, 1960-1966 John Lennon is the ultimate rock n roller.

I dunno how far you're into it - but in the second episode, it sort of gets into that. You'll see it - it sort of is a turning point in how the band operates.

You can see the band is on the verge of tearing apart. George at times is very clearly fed up with Paul for not listening to him or taking his ideas seriously. John's obviously losing interest in The Beatles as a band. Paul's the most driven to get things done - but he's not got the people skills John has and he clearly pisses off John and George numerous times.

Honestly, I think this series sort of highlights how underrated Ringo is as a band member. He seems the easiest to work with out of the 3 & everyone relies on him to be their steady human metronome (like all drummers should be - but it's a different time where songwriters nowadays would probably just use a metronome or MIDI drum beat rather than an actual drummer). Feel like he's spent decades getting a lot of shit for "being Ringo."

The best bits, for me, come from when they leave Twickenham (which, in hindsight whoever was responsible for that decision I think wasted a lot of the band's time and money) and go to a real studio. You see them get more comfortable and you can actually visibly see them feel more in their element. And watching The Beatles truly in their element is absolutely fantastic.

• Subscriber

I'm doing it in splits and I've gotten through enough in EP1 to say that its a really insightful view into how musicians, even ones at their peak, truly struggle with both each other and their creativity at times. The best parts for me so far in no particular order.

1. Anytime one of them sits down and goes through take after take only to make microscopic variations in the music pattern. It's very key to me because just a little harmony change sparks so much conversation that at the surface looks like unnecessary work but then you see how they themselves question their choices while others are disagreeing with them and they totally disregard what the other person is saying while nodding their heads. Then they engage and start to incorporate the rest of the ideas. 
  2. George telling Paul "I'll do what you want me to" and about 30 minutes before that when he tells the whole band how Clapton does this zig-zag in space and comes to resolution on notes. Gives you a lot of insight into how much he thought of himself as a guitarist. I mean this is the guy who wrote the broken rhythm pattern for "Here comes the sun" and he's talking about himself like he's never going to touch that level of intricacy in his music. 
  3. Paul asking everyone what they are there for and Ringo just looking doe-eyed like he has been for most of the first part. I agree with Gonzo's take on the fact that he was partially an anchor and one of those guys who everyone makes fun of but you know without him around it would be a chaotic mess because you can't all be super geniuses as that just causes problems and in the case of The Beatles, Ringo is that guy. 

I'll do the next part sometime tomorrow but I am definitely liking it so far.

• Subscriber

So I finally finished it with short spurts of watching and to me its a journey from the "Lifeless TV studio" to "Casual Apple" to the "Lets get it on Roof session" to finally getting it out of their system to finish the LP. I will say that so many things were great in this documentary.

• I don't know about other people but when they get into their more rock-ish stuff during this particular set of songs I personally prefer Lennon over McCartney any day of the week. When he starts to change keys on "Dig A Pony" I thought to myself, "there's no way Paul does this better". This isn't a slight against Paul's work and vocals on "Get Back" but he just doesn't show that angst that John does on the music.
  • Billy Preston is the model session musician in this entire documentary. Came, sat down, showed them all who's boss on the piano, smoked a shit ton, got to play some killer music and had a fun time through all of it. The best part of it all is that he just "happened" to be around.
  • George leaving mid-take was the best thing that happened to the band. I think they'd have just ploughed through and done something they didn't truly enjoy because I believe Paul would have kept them committed to the cause. Leaving that TV studio did them wonders.
  • On a more personal front, it just highlights how important it is for any musician trying to do any kind of studio work to have a working grasp of most instruments in a band to get the most out of your band members. It may not always be necessary but the fact that they all just literally jumped from their core instruments to others and more importantly supported each other playing other instruments is something I think most good bands do pretty easily. The only other band I have seen do this with easy swaps is Mr. Big but that is a bit skewed considering they were super skilled in the instruments they played.

Archived