talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City (4) 4-3a (4) Tottenham - Wednesday 17th April, 2019 (QF 2nd Leg)

Anyway credit Spurs, it was a bit smash and grab in the end but they held on and were clinical when they needed to be. Poch has done a great job especially comparing the budget of both managers. Pep deserves criticism for his approach in the first leg which for him seems to be becoming a common theme.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

One of Ajax or Tottenham will play in the Champions league final. 😮

Massive for Tottenham. Massive for this current Ajax crop too obviously but not exactly on the same level as they've won the European Cup 4 times.

1 minute ago, The Käiser said:

Both var decisions go against city. For spurs handball call they just showed the ref the same angle over and over.  There was a different angle showing it hit the arm. 

Any city fans in here to weigh in their thoughts?

I don't think it is clear. I think it did hit his arm but I don't think a referee could disallow it 

3 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Both var decisions go against city. For spurs handball call they just showed the ref the same angle over and over.  There was a different angle showing it hit the arm. 

Any city fans in here to weigh in their thoughts?

Even if it touched his arm, his arm was within his silhouette so it's not handball, and it hit his thigh last so he didn't score with his arm. 

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Even if it touched his arm, his arm was within his silhouette so it's not handball, and it hit his thigh last so he didn't score with his arm. 

@Cannabis  thoughts?

Pep will never change.. I remember when Chelsea drew 2-2 with Barcelona and we knocked them out with 10 men Pep said after the game that he can't just set teams up to attack,attack,attack all the time, it cost him then and has cost him again tonight.. Attacking football is bloody great to watch don't get me wrong but you have to get the mix right, Spurs keep doing what everyone expects them to fail at and they make progress and when you attack City properly and get at them they are vulnerable at the back.. most teams set up to play defence which always gives City the edge attacking wise..  you can't contain a side like that for 70 odd minutes 

Been great so far.. A lot of the big sides going out against the odds as well but have a feeling it's going to be an Ajax v Barca final unless Pool can turn it on against Barca who a bit like City can be caught out at the back against a good attacking side... 

I actually feel for City. To score like that, last seconds after a game like that, celebrate as a fan, going mental, no Spurs players appealing to the ref, and then have it all taken away from you...its cruel. 

Going forward, they were supurb tonight. They haven't looked that good for a while but tonight was vintage City in attack. Sterling is playing in the Top bracket right now, he's in unreal form.

Defensively though, so costly. I seriously question not starting Fernandinho because both first half goals for Spurs came after huge gaps in midfield that Erikson, Alli and Moura exploited. He's usually in there protecting the defence.

And why did Pep play such a poor team in the first leg? They should have had a go and tried for a couple away goals themselves. It seriously cost them.

Nevertheless, we have to celebrate that one of the best Champions League games of all time, let alone in the world, was played by two English sides that went toe to toe with eachother and that should be applauded. Football is the winner.

Don't care what anyone says, I don't care whose won what in previous years or whatever. Right now, at this moment, the Premier League is top of the tree.

The winner of Liverpool/Barca will win the cup , I dont think Ajax or Spurs can beat either of them. 

This should surely mean liverpool's dreams of winning the premier league are over? I dont think City will slip in the league any further and lose the title to liverpool. 

But bloody hell what a match that was. Has to be the best match after the Barca PSG one at camp nou.

I rate Ederson,  but man, when the stakes are high you need your goalkeeper to take it to the next level and make difficult saves. He´s not offering that to City. I don´t want to unfair, like I´ve said I rate him, but in my opinion, the main reason why Tottenham advanced is Lloris made the important saves whereas Ederson didn´t. 

Still, I´m happy for Lucas Moura. He got a lot of flak in France, so it´s nice to see him thrive in England.

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I rate Ederson,  but man, when the stakes are high you need your goalkeeper to make bring it and make difficult saves. He´s not oferring that to City. I don´t want to unfair, like I´ve said I rate him, but in my opinion, the main reason why Tottenham advanced is Lloris made the important saves whereas Ederson didn´t. 

Still, I´m happy for Lucas Moura. He got a lot of flak in France, so it´s nice to see him thrive in England.

Ederson is good at many things that Pep finds important for a side of his, and also very solid in the goal, but you're right that he's rarely going to make that huge match winning save.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Honestly surprised at how buzzing I am for Poch.

Deserves a big moment like this so much. 

I've got to admit even I was looking at him thinking yeah you know what, I'm actually happy for him here, he's done a great job there really and probably gets more ridicule than he deserves.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

It does seem to hit his arm into his hip so should have been disalowed. Var still needs work but if it hadn't been in place that goal would have stood anyway so wouldn't have been worse of. Although if there hadn't been var the disalowed city goal probably would have stood. Which is ironic because after not having var and possibly going out because of not having it they went out because of it tonight 

I disapprove of this impulse to place manager's performances in two shelves only. It seems that one must be either a success or a flop.

There must be a middle ground to categorize a manager's job, with context being the key word.

Personally I find it difficult to label not winning the CL as a failure.

10 minutes ago, Machado said:

I disapprove of this impulse to place manager's performances in two shelves only. It seems that one must be either a success or a flop.

There must be a middle ground to categorize a manager's job, with context being the key word.

I think it's unfair to say not winning the CL is a failure, but I definitely think its fair to start questioning a manager when their team is consistently knocked out in the same circumstances.

Guardiola seems to go for control and security away, and then play open back-and-forth games at home. Which is exactly the opposite of what good knockout teams these days do. The result is regular failure to score away, consistently conceding goals at home, and constantly being placed in an uphill battle trying to overcome an away goals disadvantage.

10 minutes ago, Machado said:

Football fans in general tend to be pretty black and white I think

• The topic was unpinned

Archived