talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City (4) 4-3a (4) Tottenham - Wednesday 17th April, 2019 (QF 2nd Leg)

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

They don't need to lose one to let Liverpool in. A draw will do.

I know but I highly doubt Pep is going to want them to lose this one after what just transpired. I personally hope the players are a little shell-shocked but I doubt they'll be anything but ruthless on the weekend.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Asura said:

Not sure if Pep can be blamed for this. Aguero missed a crucial away penalty, poor giveaway by Laporte for Son's first goal today and one set piece goal which was probably questionable. I think the blame is to be more on the players, isnt it?

7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Going out tonight is bad for your title challenge, we just have league games now and a cup final in May :hh:

Don't I know it. The two extra fixtures makes our run towards the end of the season harder than yours.

7 hours ago, True Blue said:

I missed the opening 20 minutes xD, overall an exciting game of football for the fans and the neutrals. Didn't expect Spurs to pull it off after 4-2 but credit where its due. Doubt there will be another classic on Saturday, however if Spurs manage to get a draw they could easily fuck City's season.

They will be more likely to destroy Spurs 6-0 in an angry rage.

6 hours ago, Rick said:

This was a bad result for our title hopes. Can't see anything but City spankng spurs on Saturday.

Exactly this. Cities odds of winning the EPL just went up significantly.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not sure about that, you can spin it both ways. I think if they'd won last night they'd be invincible, on such a high that they'd trample a crestfallen Spurs on Saturday. I see Saturday as your only hope really, Manchester United are both dreadful and prepared to accept defeat.

But Spurs lost another important player last night, they cant bring 8 fresh players into the team like we can and they will be travelling half of tomorrow too  ..no excuse for us not to hammer them, if we don't win in them condition's then we don't deserve the title tbh, they got one more days rest for a 12.30 kick off on the Saturday

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

I think Son has to be thrown into the mix now.

10 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

But Spurs lost another important player last night, they cant bring 8 fresh players into the team like we can and they will be travelling half of tomorrow too  ..no excuse for us not to hammer them, if we don't win in them condition's then we don't deserve the title tbh, they got one more days rest for a 12.30 kick off on the Saturday

Yes, you're definitely favourites either way but just don't think you winning the match would have been any better for Liverpool, slightly worse IMO.

To be fair, Pep was questionable to say the least when it came to away games in Europe while at Barça and I can't remember him ever winning a knock out away game. I also believe the most key 2 moments in 2009 and 2011 respectively where when Iniesta scored that screamer against Chelsea in 09 and Messi scored that solo goal from nothing against Real Madrid in 2011, so even in the years he won it, he was bailed out by 2 of the 3 best players(along with Cristiano) of this generation in 2 very key semi-final moments.

That's not to play down his managerial abilities as he's brilliant, but he does have his weaknesses.

Then again it also has to be mentioned that winning this tournament is not easy and even the likes of Fergie "only" won it twice, which says a lot in how difficult it is.

I think there are managers who relish the cup ties, the real battle of wits and neve in two legged ties. I don't think Guardiola is one of them, I can imagine him pouring over things and getting too involved in it all.

Good article by Johnathon Wilson on just this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/10/pep-guardiola-away-games-champions-league-manchester-city-tottenham-overthinking

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Cicero have you got the quote from the rule book? I know you managed to get it before. 

I managed to find an article which says that of the ball touches a players hand even if it is accidental the goal is disallowed. So I think that means that even if the players arms are right by his side it is still disallowed.

Only just seen this. 

To my understanding, any goal scored as a result of a handball, deliberate or not, is disallowed. 

Still think the decision last night was made on the fact the official only saw one angle. If he were to see the other angles that the TV viewers were able to see, I think he would of ruled out the goal. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Only just seen this. 

To my understanding, any goal scored as a result of a handball, deliberate or not, is disallowed. 

Still think the decision last night was made on the fact the official only saw one angle. If he were to see the other angles that the TV viewers were able to see, I think he would of ruled out the goal. 

I suppose there is an interpration that if it brushed by his hand and would of gone in anyway it could stand. However from what I have seen his arm changed the direction of the ball

• The topic was unpinned

Archived