talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Goal of the decade (so far)

football forum

@Machados comment on the Pogba goal that would have been had it not been blocked got me thinking about the goal of the decade so far. Would love to see what some people come up with.

Some obvious contenders, and some of my favorites are below.

Zlatans goal against England

Jan Schlaudraffs equalizer against Hamburger

Calhanoglus free kick against Dortmund

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omar-Corbatta.jpg

The last 10 years... Why?

Anyway...  The man in the image is/was called Omar Oreste Corbatta.  Born in Argentina (La Plata) in 1936 he played most of his best years in a club called Racing Club Avellaneda (177 times 72 goals) and later for Independent Medellín 145 times 34 goals)...

I won't bore everyone with this and make it short.  I've been told by many people that this man scored what should probably be considered the greatest goal in the history of the game at the top end.

The goal was scored in 1957 and was playing for Argentina in a World Cup qualifier for the Sweden World Cup against Chile.  The stories say that a hard man of football at the time, a Chilean defender called Federico Vairo had been giving Orsetes a hard time all game and saying all sorts to him so as to put him off.  Orestes had had enough and shouted out for all the players in the area to hear "How's your mum?, give it a bit and I'll send you to her crying".

Oreste picks up the ball on the halfway line and goes past 4 Cileans to break the defensive line, goes round the keeper and arrives at the goal line where he stops without kicking the ball past the line to score!  The keeper quickly returns, passes by him and runs toward Federico Vairo (that defender that had been giving him stick), nips the ball between his legs, the defender tries to rugby tackle his legs where Oreste jumps with the ball between his feet and then from inside the box chips the ball over the advancing keeper into the net.

There are many things that will never be seen and have to rely on hearsay.  Some incredible things that may or may not be exaggerated.  But it's a shame that we should limit anything in life because everything counts.

My favourite goal of all time was the Diego Maradona goal in the 1986 World Cup against England...  Yep that famous goal probably everyone's seen and that game where the other side of Maradona was also seen with  the handball over Peter Shilton's head.

Here you have it with the original commentary by the famous Víctor Hugo Morales.

Or this goal by Andrés Iniesta qualifying for the 2010 World Cup against Belgium.  It looks easy, but actually it's art in motion and one of the most difficult things you could ever do in football.

Maybe the Lionel Messi goal in the Copa del Rey Final 2015. (That's in the last decade range)

But isn't the Dennis Bergkamp goal against Newcastle United in 2002 where like Iniesta, he reads the story before he's decided to create it and also like Iniesta, with his artistry he makes the opponent do what he wants him to do so as to get his way.

This one was scored last week in the Belgian league by an Algerian player called Sofiane Hani for Anderlecht against Oostende.

Or Zlatan Ibrahimović scoring for Ajax all those years (2004) ago and which suddenly put his name in lights.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There are many things that will never be seen and have to rely on hearsay.  Some incredible things that may or may not be exaggerated.  But it's a shame that we should limit anything in life because everything counts.

start your own topic then for the best goal in history xD 

@Tanksie chose 10 years because he can. 

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

start your own topic then for the best goal in history xD 

@Tanksie chose 10 years because he can. 

hahaha I thought about that straight away but then thought otherwise because it would conflict with this thread.  So within this one I offered some other food for thought and answered  the question on the thread which is in there within the goals I've chosen.

For me, no goal that is a long shot can be considered the best, unless some good technique is evident. Long shots always involve a little bit of luck, just a bit. Team goals are more impressive. That said, long shots are great goals but as mentioned I do believe it involves just a bit of luck, although not all examples are true. Hamsik's goal vs Bologna was definitely not luck, neither was James' goal vs Uruguay. Both showed great techniques to score it, but a goal like Cisse's vs Chelsea, surely he didn't even expect it to curve like it did.

I saw Wilshere's goal vs Norwich again the other day, and I forgot how impressive that was. That's got to be one of the goals of the decade. Falcao's vs City was top class. Ibrahimovic's goal vs England was also very good although I rate the other 2 more as Ibrahimovic did it on an open net. Great goal but I'm not convinced it was the "best of all time".

In terms of the Peruvian league, Carlos Lobaton scores the goals. He's gotten so many "goles olimpicos" in the past few years from halfway across the pitch or on corners but while he meant those goals, halfway goals involve a bit of luck especially with how the wind is like on the day. 

This one isn't the best but its my favourite.

And the type of goals Lobaton scores. This was one was definitely smart as he saw the keeper standing in a poor angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that Messi's goal against Bayern will be iconic when all's said and done. 

Annihilating one of the best CBs in the world and then chipping the best goalie, in a CL semi-final. 

Archived