talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Foreign Support

football forum

Other the last few weeks I’ve been to a local Chicago Fire game and a supporters club for Chelsea. The Fire game was brilliant, the weather was atrocious, and the fans were passionate.It was fun and had a real sense of community. No complaints except for the weather.

Yesterday I went to a pub for the Chelsea game. It was a bit overwhelming  and I don’t know if I liked it. It was a bunch of foreigners singing songs and cheering for a team that can’t hear them, and for a city and culture that is on the other side of the planet. Don’t get me wrong, I like Chelsea and all but I’m not pretending to be a hardcore native supporter. Those people can do what they like, of course they can but it still felt kinda odd at the same time. I respect their passion, but they should bring it to the Fire games. I swear I even saw a shirt with a skull that was a little too close to the headhunters insignia. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have gone to an Atlanta United match while here. They are insane. 

But that's the big difference, no? You went to a Fire game, but could go to the pub for the Chelsea match. I quit going to pubs for matches as it's usually just a drunk fest and little actual investment into the match. I have gone a couple of times to the German Institute here which shows the Bundesliga matches, and has some breakfast and coffee, and that's a nice, comfortable place to watch matches, but I gave up pubs awhile ago as I would always get annoyed by someone who would always be the loudest, and the most clueless. 

Anyways, reading your post immediately reminded me of this - 

I am proper looking forward to York 9 this season. I am part of the ultras group already and while it certainly isn't a massive number, it's going to be the first time I feel actively as part of a supporter group.

7 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I am proper looking forward to York 9 this season. I am part of the ultras group already and while it certainly isn't a massive number, it's going to be the first time I feel actively as part of a supporter group.

You're in Lima. 

• Subscriber

You know whats funny is I think that guy goes to BFC matches too cause that voice is so distinct haha.

On a more serious note, you dont find too many Liverpool supporters in Bangalore (they have a club of sorts down here but I have never been nor do I even want to go). You do find a lot of Arsenal and Chelsea supporters here though and the Arsenal bunch are actually quite sound, they do a screening of games at night sometimes and its quite a nice experience, no loud singing or any of that just folks going to watch a game.

Just now, Eco said:

Moving or visiting? 

Moving.

I was in the GTA area last december, and there I met up with the supporters group. So a couple of them know who I am.

I don't feel that sense of belonging to any team that i like in any sport apart from the World Cup which i truly enjoy.

I often wonder if the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid etc get relegated than would those die hard foreign fans still watch their teams than the Premiership and La Liga etc

19 hours ago, Azeem said:

I don't feel that sense of belonging to any team that i like in any sport apart from the World Cup which i truly enjoy.

I often wonder if the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid etc get relegated than would those die hard foreign fans still watch their teams than the Premiership and La Liga etc

I'd say 90% wouldn't

It doesn’t really bother me. If someone from a completely different continent and time zone wants to get up early or stay up late, depending on where they are in the World, to watch Premier League Football, fair play to them. That’s a greater level of determination and passion than I would have if I decided to choose to support a MLS side, for example. 

There’s probably groups and clubs like it in the UK where U.K. based fans of European clubs meet up and watch games. 

Archived