The better place to talk football.

Notre Dame on Fire

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine being the worker that did this.

That is beyond unfathomable. You fuck up at work, and sometimes it's bad, but it's usually not I set a world wide known, French treasure on fire bad. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine being the worker that did this.

Apparently a cathedral spokesperson said no works were being carried out at the time :/

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Breathtaking picture. 

Also hearing that a firefighter has been seriously injured tackling the blaze, hope they're OK.

Insane picture. Really shows the might of fire but it's saving grace some stuff has been saved amongst that carnage. 

Nevertheless still a terrible disaster of such an historic building :(

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

That's not exactly the greatest source, he's not even really a journo, just a gimp on twitter taking videos and pictures from other people and tweeting the news real time and calling himself a "freelance journalist" - he seems to think it's a terror attack though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-15/the-latest-fire-chief-unsure-notre-dame-fire-won-t-advance

11:15 p.m.

The Paris prosecutors' office says investigators are treating the blaze that destroyed part of Notre Dame as an accident for now.

The prosecutors' office said late Monday they have ruled out arson in Monday's fire, including possible terror-related motives for starting the blaze.

Prosecutors say Paris police will conduct an investigation into "involuntary destruction caused by fire."

• Subscriber

If it was deliberate I hope they catch the bastards, even if some people are not religious the Dame was part of history that someone has destroyed,

I walked through the gutted cathedral… then the crucifix shone from what remained of the altar, a symbol of defiance in the gloom: ROBERT HARDMAN is among first witnesses inside ravaged Notre Dame

BBVYkjY.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/i-walked-through-the-gutted-cathedral…-then-the-crucifix-shone-from-what-remained-of-the-altar-a-symbol-of-defiance-in-the-gloom-robert-hardman-is-among-first-witnesses-inside-ravaged-notre-dame/ar-BBVYH2t?li=BBoPWjQ

• Subscriber

Notre-Dame fire: What the cathedral means to the French

ND.png.969ae68217e9c708fcde50106062610d.png

ND2.thumb.png.28734d9bae6f150845ce7085d7ae8955.png

No other site represents France quite like Notre-Dame.

Its main rival as a national symbol, the Eiffel Tower, is little more than a century old. Notre-Dame has stood tall above Paris since the 1200s.

It has given its name to one of the country's literary masterpieces. Victor Hugo's novel Hunchback of Notre-Dame is known to the French simply as Notre Dame de Paris.

The last time the cathedral suffered major damage was during the French Revolution, when statues of saints were hacked by anti-clerical hotheads. The building survived the 1871 Commune uprising, as well as two world wars, largely unscathed.

It is impossible to overstate how shocking it is to watch such an enduring embodiment of our country burn.

Locals are not famous for their sunny disposition, but few can walk along the banks of the Seine in the central part of the capital without feeling their spirits rise at the majestic bulk of Notre-Dame.

It is one of the few sights sure to make a Parisian feel good about living there.

Like all cherished places everywhere, it is not one residents visit very often. In the three decades I spent in my native city, I can't have been inside Notre-Dame more than three or four times - and then only with foreign visitors.

There are many of those. The cathedral is not just the most popular tourist site in Western Europe. Eight centuries after its completion, it is also still a place of worship - about 2,000 services are held there every year.

But it is also much more than a religious site. President Emmanuel Macron has expressed the shock of a "whole nation" at the fire. As Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said, Notre Dame is "part of our common heritage".

Many of those looking on as flames engulf the building are in tears. Their dismay is shared by believers and non-believers alike in a nation where faith has long ceased to be a binding force.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47942786

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Man, a lot of jokes and 'laughing emojis' on Facebook right now. grating my nerves. Maybe I'm overly sentimental about history but this is a disaster! 

Totally agree mate. Every adult I've encountered has been devastated though.

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Morons! It isn’t it being a cathedral, or a religious icon. It is a near nine hundred year old piece of art. A testament to genius and determination of those that designed and built it with bare hands, no electricity! Some of us can’t even put together an ikea flst pack without fucking up.

I’m sure the people laughing now wouldn’t make jokes of the Hagia Sophia, Vaishno Devi, or Western Wall’s destruction,

It's more even than that. Located on the Île de la Cité that was the original founding City of Paris notre dame is the beating heart of the French people. I'm struggling to think of another religious site that is similar in terms of being so much more than the sum of its parts. 

13 hours ago, Eco said:

This. I got to visit maybe 15 years ago, and my initial reaction has only ever been topped by two cathedrals. The Duomo and Koln's. 

Absolutely heartbreaking.  

For me Notre Dame was the most beautiful sight I've seen. It gave me goosebumps just to let eyes upon it. Not just because of the cathedral itself but because of the way it complemented the city.... it felt like the entire city of Paris had been designed with Notre Dame as the jewel in the crown, with the entire layout of the city deliberately configured to make it look good from every angle, and even still to this day being the epicenter of the city. You couldn't replicate that anywhere else.

22 hours ago, Spike said:

Man, a lot of jokes and 'laughing emojis' on Facebook right now. grating my nerves. Maybe I'm overly sentimental about history but this is a disaster! 

Agree 100%.

Sadly with it being the internet and everyone thinking they're a keyboard gangster, there's notre dame thing we can do about it.

8 minutes ago, Rab said:

Agree 100%.

Sadly with it being the internet and everyone thinking they're a keyboard gangster, there's notre dame thing we can do about it.

Coldblooded. 

24 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Does your hunch move from one land to another and avoid bacon?

I think he was making a hunchback joke, rather than assuming it's Muslims that did it. Although considering that while Notre Dame was burning this was also happening... there might be more fun conspiracies to be had here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927495/Jerusalems-Al-Asqa-Mosque-struck-blaze-time-Notre-Dame-devastated-inferno.html 

I can't believe I've just linked to the Daily Mail though. Disgusting.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can't believe I've just linked to the Daily Mail though. Disgusting.

I feel the same mate if I ever have to pull a story or article from there.... only as a last resort normally after scouring the web for more credible articles first do I dip my toe... awful paper 

Archived