• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Notre Dame on Fire

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/04/2019 at 03:18, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he was making a hunchback joke, rather than assuming it's Muslims that did it. Although considering that while Notre Dame was burning this was also happening... there might be more fun conspiracies to be had here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927495/Jerusalems-Al-Asqa-Mosque-struck-blaze-time-Notre-Dame-devastated-inferno.html 

I can't believe I've just linked to the Daily Mail though. Disgusting.

People who assume that will also believe that Muhammad was hired and trained by the Catholic Church but his followers grew so much that he ditched the Church and founded a cult of his own and I'm not kidding the evangelists say that :coffee:

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

People who assume that will also believe that Muhammad was hired and trained by the Catholic Church but his followers grew so much that he ditched the Church and founded a cult of his own and I'm not kidding the evangelists say that :coffee:

Most evangelists are just as radical as Islamic fundamentalists, so no surprise there.

• Subscriber
On 16/04/2019 at 19:07, The Artful Dodger said:

They still don't know how it started, but I've got a hunch.

605690509_download(1).thumb.png.a8708e2448f99a59078a8e8b27eb8efc.png

AAAll6Q.img?h=40&w=138&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&

'Short circuit' most likely cause of Notre-Dame fire - police

Investigators think an electrical short-circuit was the most likely cause of the Notre-Dame cathedral fire, a police official has said.

The fire on Monday tore through the Parisian landmark, destroying much of the inside and causing the spire to come crashing down.

Firefighters say that Notre-Dame came within 15 to 30 minutes of total destruction.

Hundreds of millions of euros have been pledged by businessmen and philanthropists, as President Macron vowed to rebuild the cathedral within five years.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/short-circuit-most-likely-cause-of-notre-dame-fire-police/ar-BBW4B84?ocid=chromentp

Bit crazy how much money's been raised for the rebuilding, compared to say how some other natural disasters have been treated with charitable contributions - where people actually die or have their lives impacted. Especially because the Catholic Church is worth billions and can take care of itself.

• Subscriber

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bit crazy how much money's been raised for the rebuilding, compared to say how some other natural disasters have been treated with charitable contributions - where people actually die or have their lives impacted. Especially because the Catholic Church is worth billions and can take care of itself.

Yep, crazy old world we live in.  :coffee:

download.thumb.png.314d18c2af9e85e913308787f81b1826.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wealthiest_organizations

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've said for a while that whilst people should be free to choose the religion they desire, they should seriously question an organisation that is worth literally billions yet expects the poor to donate to them for fear of going to Hell. 

Mate there is fuck all cash that isn't deployed into operations.

They own a shitload of land and churches, and a shitload of Renaissance art.

• Subscriber

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bit crazy how much money's been raised for the rebuilding, compared to say how some other natural disasters have been treated with charitable contributions - where people actually die or have their lives impacted. Especially because the Catholic Church is worth billions and can take care of itself.

I agree but to be fair Notre Dame is owned by the French Ministry of Culture so it belongs to the state, not the Catholic Church.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I agree but to be fair Notre Dame is owned by the French Ministry of Culture so it belongs to the state, not the Catholic Church.

Yeah but the Church and France can pay for the fucking thing.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but the Church and France can pay for the fucking thing.

I mean the Church isn't even willing to pay for the regular upkeep of the cathedral despite using it for free so there's no way they are paying for the rebuilding from their own pocket haha. I also doubt the state would accept it as it could contest their ownership of Notre Dame. 

So in the end the state is going to pay for it one way or another. Philanthropic donations just relieve the costs for the taxpayers... 

36 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mean the Church isn't even willing to pay for the regular upkeep of the cathedral despite using it for free so there's no way they are paying for the rebuilding from their own pocket haha. I also doubt the state would accept it as it could contest their ownership of Notre Dame. 

So in the end the state is going to pay for it one way or another. Philanthropic donations just relieve the costs for the taxpayers... 

Just interesting how so many rich people and companies found this to be something so easy to throw huge amounts of money. I know tax breaks are a big reason, but it’s not like this is the only worthy charitable cause in the world. Guess it’s a good thing though, restores the building quicker probably.

4 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.png.72e279d41897a9fb32afb1993163a421.png

=   155.5 Billion   :dam:  :whistling:

Incredible isn’t it

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Just interesting how so many rich people and companies found this to be something so easy to throw huge amounts of money. I know tax breaks are a big reason, but it’s not like this is the only worthy charitable cause in the world. Guess it’s a good thing though, restores the building quicker probably.

I was under impression that most donations come from rich French families and companies though? So I don't find it that surprising; there are tax breaks as you mentioned, there's also competition (I think two rich families that donated hundreds of millions are kind of having dick measuring contest of sorts), reputation and popularity boost etc. Plus they are donating for rebuilding and restoration of a great historical symbol of their national identity which is ingrained in the national psyche; it is a much more tangible goal that has a definite end result when compared to intangible complex charitable causes such as eradicating global poverty and hunger ran by dubious charities with huge overhead costs and no control where the money actually goes...

Just now, nudge said:

I was under impression that most donations come from rich French families and companies though? So I don't find it that surprising; there are tax breaks as you mentioned, there's also competition (I think two rich families that donated hundreds of millions are kind of having dick measuring contest of sorts), reputation and popularity boost etc. Plus they are donating for rebuilding and restoration of a great historical symbol of their national identity which is ingrained in the national psyche; it is a much more tangible goal that has a definite end result when compared to intangible complex charitable causes such as eradicating global poverty and hunger ran by dubious charities with huge overhead costs and no control where the money actually goes...

I just hope these twats don’t expect corporate sponsorships on the Notre Dame tbh

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Incredible isn’t it

I might write to the church and ask them to bung in £70 to the TF365 yearly costs and be nice and pay next years costs for us too I don't think it would affect their £155.5 Billion much O.o xD     

I did a tour of the Vatican and walked out to the pope saying mass (pope ratzenburger)I must admit the Mrs who is not of any religious persuasion wanted to stay for mass such was the draw. 

I know from experience that the Catholic Church does fund a lot of programs in Africa etc for education (of course they’re spreading its reach by doing so) that you can understand where the money goes. I bet if you went deep into the finances they’re probably better than some charities. Cathod I think was the main one, we built a school in some war torn African state with our diocese fund raising. 

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I did a tour of the Vatican and walked out to the pope saying mass (pope ratzenburger)I must admit the Mrs who is not of any religious persuasion wanted to stay for mass such was the draw. 

I know from experience that the Catholic Church does fund a lot of programs in Africa etc for education (of course they’re spreading its reach by doing so) that you can understand where the money goes. I bet if you went deep into the finances they’re probably better than some charities. Cathod I think was the main one, we built a school in some war torn African state with our diocese fund raising. 

I reckon a lot of their wealth is historic, and built on a policy of unmarried priests leaving their personal wealth to the church.

But allot of it is land, which admittedly becomes a more liquid asset now that church attendance numbers are dwindling in the western countries and they have more churches than priests. Parishes are consolidating. But not easy to sell off a church building that's part of a school....

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

I reckon a lot of their wealth is historic, and built on a policy of unmarried priests leaving their personal wealth to the church.

But allot of it is land, which admittedly becomes a more liquid asset now that church attendance numbers are dwindling in the western countries and they have more churches than priests. Parishes are consolidating. But not easy to sell off a church building that's part of a school....

They’re the largest land owners in Birmingham I believe, but in the U.K. they also run the most successful state schools. 

Archived