talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Historical F1

• Subscriber
On 23/04/2019 at 14:44, MUFC said:

Sterling Moss.

Widely considered the best driver never to win the championship (apparently).

66 starts, 24 podiums including 16 wins. 

If you translate that into the modern day calendar, that's the equivalent of getting 8 or 9 podiums in a twenty race season including 5 wins or so. You'd be surprised if a modern day driver maintained that record for 6-7 years and never got a championship from it.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Widely considered the best driver never to win the championship (apparently).

66 starts, 24 podiums including 16 wins. 

If you translate that into the modern day calendar, that's the equivalent of getting 8 or 9 podiums in a twenty race season including 5 wins or so. You'd be surprised if a modern day driver maintained that record for 6-7 years and never got a championship from it.

Read up on him years ago, I might be wrong and Nudge might know more on the topic. Didn't he lose the title a few times? I know one season he had really bad mechanical problems and it might be the season he lost it by a single point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Stumbled upon this today... Colour film of the highlight of 1967 German GP on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. 

The cars going airborne like rally cars! Pretty much no safety. Those were mad men. Incredible footage.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The real GOAT is Markus Winkelhock. Didn't see Hamilton or Vettel leading in a Spyker on their debuts.

The phenomenon! Appeared out of the blue and then was never heard of again xD

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Hey guys, what was your favorite driver growing up?

Mine was Juan Pablo Montoya. He was fearless and really fast.

Montoya currently leads IMSA Sportscar Championship; still as fast and fearless as ever :)

Mine was always Michael Schumacher. Got into F1 properly because of him; nobody else even comes close.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Heinz-Harald Frentzen. I remember drawing his Williams times after times, and his Jordan too. When he won his first race in San Marino, I was jumping up and down on my parents couch. Then I liked Schmumi at the end of his first career, Kimi for a bit (I attended my first F1 race with a Finnish flag that a Finnish acquaintance sent to me especially for this occasion) and then of course Seb. Even more when he left Red Bull and took the Ferrari challenge. I also quite like Hulk. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Mine was Juan Pablo Montoya. He was fearless and really fast.

Same as @nudge.

Michael Schumacher was THE greatest and the one that got me interested in the sport. The rivarly with Mika Hakkinen was great to watch.

As an aside, F1 was much more accessible in the late 90s/early 00s when I started getting properly in to it. In addition to that, you had the iconic voice of Murray Walker to add to the engine noise coming off the track.