talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Historical F1

8 hours ago, MUFC said:

An “uneducated blockhead” 😅🤣😂

“He was so proud of the fact that he’d lost weight over the winter and was super-fit. To be beaten by burger-chomping Nigel was a huge psychological blow.”

xD And with all the wrong advice Nigel gave to his teammate. A troll before "trolls" were even a thing. 

I remember in the early years I started to watch F1, when he was too fat to fit into an F1 car. :D 

• Wow 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Finished watching the 1978 season today.

Not a particularly exciting season in terms of title fight, as Lotus dominated from the very start, with Ferrari and Brabham trying their best to compete, but not quite able to. Some exciting races nevertheless, with powerful ground effect cars, quite a few daring overtakes, a lot of reliability issues, crazy marshalling, even crazier safety procedures. It was overshadowed by Ronnie Peterson's fatal crash at Monza though; one of the worst crashes I have ever witnessed on TV; it almost made me sick at my stomach. The season also featured Gilles Villeneuve's first even win (in Canada, nonetheless). Interesting piece of trivia: Tyrrell were the first team in the history of F1 to start using computer systems in their car (Tyrrell 008), designed by Karl Kempf.

Moving onto 1979...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Finished 1979 Season a few days ago, and am now 5 races into 1980.

1979 was a pretty interesting season to watch, with Lotus falling apart completely after dominating in previous season, Ferrari winning both the Driver's (Scheckter) and Constructor's titles, and Williams making impressive progress in the second half of the season, managing to finish 2nd, despite taking only 10 points in the first 7 races. Lauda had a disappointing year with Brabham Alfa and retired at the end of the season, same with James Hunt and Jackie Ickx. Villeneuve was probably the most exciting driver to watch, his battle with Arnoux in the closing laps of French GP being the highlight of the season for me.

1980 started with Ferrari being unexpectedly poor, and trailing at the end of the grid, as they couldn't keep up with the development in ground effect aerodynamics - most of the rest of the field used a Cosworth V8 engine which had an advantage due to its layout, compared to Ferrari's flat 12 engine. Williams continued where they left off last season, with Ligier, Renault and Brabham starting the season strongly as well. Keke Rosberg got his first podium ever, and Alain Prost made his debut in F1 :D Worst  event so far: Clay Regazzoni was involved in a horrible crash during the US GP when the brake pedal of his Ensign broke while he was going at 280 kmh, he hit a retired car parked next to the track, and then crashed into the barriers. Regazzoni suffered serious injuries and was paralysed from the waist down for the rest of his life :(  Marc Surer also crashed heavily and broke his legs in qualifying at South Africa.

To be continued...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Finished 1979 Season a few days ago, and am now 5 races into 1980.

1979 was a pretty interesting season to watch, with Lotus falling apart completely after dominating in previous season, Ferrari winning both the Driver's (Scheckter) and Constructor's titles, and Williams making impressive progress in the second half of the season, managing to finish 2nd, despite taking only 10 points in the first 7 races. Lauda had a disappointing year with Brabham Alfa and retired at the end of the season, same with James Hunt and Jackie Ickx. Villeneuve was probably the most exciting driver to watch, his battle with Arnoux in the closing laps of French GP being the highlight of the season for me.

1980 started with Ferrari being unexpectedly poor, and trailing at the end of the grid, as they couldn't keep up with the development in ground effect aerodynamics - most of the rest of the field used a Cosworth V8 engine which had an advantage due to its layout, compared to Ferrari's flat 12 engine. Williams continued where they left off last season, with Ligier, Renault and Brabham starting the season strongly as well. Keke Rosberg got his first podium ever, and Alain Prost made his debut in F1 :D Worst  event so far: Clay Regazzoni was involved in a horrible crash during the US GP when the brake pedal of his Ensign broke while he was going at 280 kmh, he hit a retired car parked next to the track, and then crashed into the barriers. Regazzoni suffered serious injuries and was paralysed from the waist down for the rest of his life :(  Marc Surer also crashed heavily and broke his legs in qualifying at South Africa.

To be continued...

I went to go and start watching these during the original lockdown but F1TV doesn't work in the Isle of Man 😡.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I went to go and start watching these during the original lockdown but F1TV doesn't work in the Isle of Man 😡.

I actually canceled my F1TV subscription... Their archive has a long way to go; way too many full races missing to enjoy it properly. But I have an external hard drive with all old race recordings since 1981, and just found the previous three seasons online. Not the best quality, but still watchable. I've been enjoying it a lot during the lockdowns, especially when there's no other racing.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the 1992 Montreal GP at the moment. Schumacher in that yellow and green Jordan. That must be around the time I started watching F1 properly. Maybe a year later, I think. 

Constantly googling/wikpedia'ing drivers from back then. 😅 Ivan Capelli driving for Ferrari that year. I never knew that. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2022 at 19:34, Tommy said:

Watching the 1984 Nürburgring race. Fuck me, McLaren were so dominant that season even though both of their drivers had quite a few DNFs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Formula_One_World_Championship#World_Constructors'_Championship_standings

Wouldn't say dominant. They only won 12 out of 18 races 🤣

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...