talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

football forum

• Subscriber

14-0. This is painful to watch haha. 

Some Iranian player went studs up into the Cambodian keeper's knee earlier; prick. Should have been a straight red. Keo Soksela lucky to escape serious injury there.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Eco said:

Almost all of these scorelines look like absolute beatings. 

5-0, 6-0, 8-0, 7-0, 5-0, 9-0.....

Asia is far more competitive then Concacaf for say as the gap between the teams apart from the top teams isn't much. The likes of Jordan, Syria put up more of a fight against Australia then Honduras in the last qualifiers.

It's just this format, they should cut down the first round to fewer teams like 36,30 and it is 40 right now. 

1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Asia is far more competitive then Concacaf for say as the gap between the teams apart from the top teams isn't much. The likes of Jordan, Syria put up more of a fight against Australia then Honduras in the last qualifiers.

It's just this format, they should cut down the first round to fewer teams like 36,30 and it is 40 right now. 

All would on what you mean by competitive. Outside of Mexico, and sometimes the U.S., and you certainly get the odd scoreline like Canada beating Cuba 6-0 here recently, but their aren't the same amount of strong teams in CONCACAF like their is in AFC to result in 5 or 6 matches ending with such loop-sided scorelines. 

7 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

How in the fuck is it competitive. We just saw a side get battered 14-0.

But good work team Melli, that's what I like to see after utterly bottling it against Japan while I was in China. Play angry and win stuff please.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But good work team Melli, that's what I like to see after utterly bottling it against Japan while I was in China. Play angry and win stuff please.

I agree with Azeem that its more competitive than CONCACAF. If you watched the Asian Cup you'd know that many have a shot at winning it and it's not always the same 4. Meanwhile the Gold Cup is a competition to determine who is the best in a continent where Mexico and the USA always win.

Its the first round and it's a piss take at the moment but things get better in the last round of qualifying.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

I agree with Azeem that its more competitive than CONCACAF. If you watched the Asian Cup you'd know that many have a shot at winning it and it's not always the same 4. Meanwhile the Gold Cup is a competition to determine who is the best in a continent where Mexico and the USA always win.

Its the first round and it's a piss take at the moment but things get better in the last round of qualifying.

I'd argue they're both pretty uncompetitive. There's a few good teams and then a shitload of bad ones. Sure Asia has more good teams. They've also got some sides that'd probably get pasted by CONCACAF sides though - there's a huge gulf in quality.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I already said some teams should be cut off as they are way behind. 

But the quality gap doesn't fall in Asia so much as in Concacaf or even Africa. Second tier and third tiers teams like Jordan, Syria, Vietnam, Thailand, Lebanon etc can give much more of a fight to the top teams then say a second od third tier team can give to Mexico in concacaf

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd argue they're both pretty uncompetitive. There's a few good teams and then a shitload of bad ones. Sure Asia has more good teams. They've also got some sides that'd probably get pasted by CONCACAF sides though - there's a huge gulf in quality.

Well in fairness, the gap between most CONCACAF sides is pretty small. It's just Mexico and the USA who are way ahead of the rest. It's a weird situation. If you just like watching the top sides, then Asia is better, but in the bottom tier, then CONCACAF is more competitive. I personally rate Japan, Qatar, Iran and Korea ahead of the USA and Japan ahead of Mexico and I don't watch bottom tier CONCACAF or AFC footy so you know where my watch will go.

18 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Well in fairness, the gap between most CONCACAF sides is pretty small. It's just Mexico and the USA who are way ahead of the rest. It's a weird situation. If you just like watching the top sides, then Asia is better, but in the bottom tier, then CONCACAF is more competitive. I personally rate Japan, Qatar, Iran and Korea ahead of the USA and Japan ahead of Mexico and I don't watch bottom tier CONCACAF or AFC footy so you know where my watch will go.

giphy.gif

Just now, Eco said:

giphy.gif

Out of those sides Korea are the only one who might be worse than the USA. Qatar are alright and Iran/Japan are very good sides.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

Out of those sides Korea are the only one who might be worse than the USA. Qatar are alright and Iran/Japan are very good sides.

Qatar and Korea are not better than the USA, but that's not what I'm confused about....

None of them better than Mexico. None. 

Just now, Eco said:

Qatar and Korea are not better than the USA, but that's not what I'm confused about....

None of them better than Mexico. None. 

Japan impressed me more at the World Cup. They are the only side I said were better. Also reached the Asian Cup final with a mostly B team.

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

Japan impressed me more at the World Cup. They are the only side I said were better. Also reached the Asian Cup final with a mostly B team.

Congrats. One tournament doesn't make a team, just like one game doesn't. 

You constantly use the phrase that you use 'your eyes' to determine who is better, so I can't see how you can honest watch these two sides, and think Japan are a better team. 

Just now, Eco said:

Congrats. One tournament doesn't make a team, just like one game doesn't. 

You constantly use the phrase that you use 'your eyes' to determine who is better, so I can't see how you can honest watch these two sides, and think Japan are a better team. 

Notice how I mentioned 2 tournaments?

Japan have done more to convince me. Mexico are a good side but they are not world beaters, or even close to it. The comparison between them and Japan is close but because of a good World Cup, id have the Japanese.

If you don’t think my judgement is good that’s not my problem.

22 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Japan ahead of mexico :rofl::rofl::rofl: have they ever defeated the mighty Brazil in a final? :clown:

Gotta agree. Don't see how anyone can put Japan head of Mexico. 

Notice how I mentioned 2 tournaments?

But only one in which both Mexico AND Japan can compete in. While also leaving out the Olympics, in which Mexico has won.  

Japan have done more to convince me. Mexico are a good side but they are not world beaters, or even close to it. The comparison between them and Japan is close but because of a good World Cup, id have the Japanese.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'world beaters', but if you don't think Mexico aren't World Beaters, then certainly Japan aren't either. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

If you don’t think my judgement is good that’s not my problem.

Why does there have to be a problem at all? It's called a debate, it happens, especially on forums. 

Neither Japan or Peru could of beaten Germany like the Mexican side did.....

The passion behind all those different languages tells it all...mexico dominated that game and only lack good finishing or else the score would of been even greater so fuck the opinion of a hating ass special needs poster. :dunce:

Just now, Eco said:

But only one in which both Mexico AND Japan can compete in. While also leaving out the Olympics, in which Mexico has won.  

I'm not sure what you mean by 'world beaters', but if you don't think Mexico aren't World Beaters, then certainly Japan aren't either. 

Why does there have to be a problem at all? It's called a debate, it happens, especially on forums. 

You do realize international football changes in time right? There are few tournaments for Japan and Mexico to prove themselves in, and the last major one, Japan was better and literally only 10 minutes away from a quarter final appearance against Brazil before the collapse. The Olympic win was 7 years ago. We’re Mexico better then? Probably. I am not talking about football history, im talking about now. Japan’s B team did well at the Asian Cup and their U23’s didn’t roll over at the Copa America. I’d have Japan over Mexico at this current moment.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived