talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Footballers You Wish You Could Have Seen...

football forum

15 minutes ago, kapisevicius said:

I don't have any footballer from the past I would like to watch, the reason is simple: they were much worse than contemporary players.

Well that's just flat out wrong. I do agree that nostalgia gets in the way of our judgement at times, but it is mental to think there were never good players in the past, regardless of how the game has evolved.

Talent has existed since the beginning of time and talent will continue to exist.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember as a kid watching the 2 Stans - Matthews and Mortensen on TV at Wembley but sadly never got see to either of them in the flesh - similarly sad having heard the radio commentaries of Man U before Munich and never got to see those (including young Duncan) who were lost to us at that time.  I have been lucky as prices were nevr at the level they are these days and in the RAF in the 50s and 60s we got to travel with fans of other clubs to see their games and the Internationals with a lot of those mentioned above - I never got over watching Cruyff when we would travel from the Ruhr in the 70s for a day out in Amsterdam - he was a true magician with the ball - just like Stanley Matthews and having spent time in Drongen I was able to watch a young Kevin do the same - even at 8 or 9 and once refusing to let go of the goalpost to make his point - and now still enjoy scenes like his passing last night in the CL.  To the younger ones on here - please try and keep those pictures of today's great players in your mind - the young kids love to hear them and they search google and Wiki to fill in your gaps.  Sometimes they can then understand why us wrinklies often sit with a smile on our faces and get what we are remembering.

South America:

Diego Maradona - I can remember Maradona from World Cup 94, but when he was in his pomp, I was only about 6 months old, so I'd go back and watch him since I didn't live the best of his career. I've seen a lot of the best of his career, but watching footage and full games back isn't the same as living a player's career.

Zico

Roberto Rivelino

Garrincha

Alfredo Di Stefano

Europe:

Johan Cruijff - Whenever I've seen old footage and matches back of old players, I find him to be the most impressive due to how complete and allrounded he was.

Franz Beckenbauer

Eusebio

George Best

Luis Suarez(The Spanish one), Michel Platini or Bobby Charlton.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 04:17, kapisevicius said:

Where did I say there were no good players?.

I know that in comparision to present-day footballers they had limited opportunities to develop skills, so comparing players from different eras is pointless, but that doesn't change the fact they were worse. Pele is the best example, I saw a great thread on Twitter explaining how "successful" he actually was... Read this: 

Pele is a horrible example because he counted goals he scored on the street and Brazil was transitioning to having an actual league and not just state championships. I wouldn't know but some said Garrincha was better than Pele.

They weren't worse. Talent has always existed. Stats perhaps inflated them a little bit but it is absolutely nonsensical to say they were "much worse". Are you the one that tweeted that Van Dijk is better than Maldini?

1 minute ago, kapisevicius said:

2. I know there was talent but they were limited and in result they were nowhere near to present day footballers. Have you seen oldschool football videos? Their defensive play was horrible. I didn't tweet about that Van Dijk is better than Maldini but I think in terms of skills he actually may be better. Football is developing very fast and players and teams are becoming better and better. I'm sure that in 20 years I'll say the same thing about footballers from 2019.

This whole paragraph is for the books. Hilariously inaccurate statement.

2 minutes ago, kapisevicius said:

It was so hilariously inaccurate that you forgot to provide at least one argument in favor of your opinion. Typical. xD

Probably because I can't be bothered to argue with nonsense.

8 minutes ago, kapisevicius said:

It was so hilariously inaccurate that you forgot to provide at least one argument in favor of your opinion. Typical. xD

Van Dijk better than Maldini? Are you taking the piss?

Maldini for one will forever be regarded as the greatest defender who ever lived. Maldini averaged 0.56 challenges a game because he read the game better than any defender who ever lived. His positioning was second to none. All during a time where Italy was arguably the strongest league. For almost 30 bloody years he has perfomred consistently on an elite basis.  On par with his defenisve ability, was the technical aspect of his game. He could driblle, take players on and deliver a cross. He was equally as good at LB as he was at CB. 

Ridiculous I even have to reply to this. 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, kapisevicius said:

You seriously think Van Dijk was better than Maldini?! As in, you're definitely not trolling?

Archived