talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eintracht Frankfurt Thread

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Frankfurt are apparentely interested in signing Philipp Max from PSV.

Former Augsburg player I presume. His evil twin Max Philipp just moved to Bremen. When on the pitch together they completely negate each other. In the event that they collide in a foul, a black hole spawns.

• Haha 3

On 31/01/2023 at 08:07, Tommy said:

TIL Philipp Max is Martin Max's son. Wow. I had no idea. 

Yeah, I found this out when Philipp Max first started impressing everyone at Augsburg during the 2016/17 season. Philipp also started his career at Schalke, the club where his dad Martin Max really made a name for himself. However, what I have only just found out a few minutes ago, is that Martin Max was born in Poland, and is a part of the ethnic German community that has lived in Poland for a very long time. His family migrated to Germany from Poland when he was a kid. Martin Max was then given German citizenship and actually has one international cap to his name for Germany, making his debut for Germany in 2002 against Argentina.

But in general, it really great that Germany and many other European countries recognise peoples ancestry and make them eligible for German citizenship if such people can prove that they have German ancestors. In the UK, the rules were much more limited for those with British grandparents, let alone British ancestors.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Kevin Trapp signs contract extension. 

This is great news for Frankfurt, Trapp is one of the best keepers around. Frankfurt have really transformed themselves into a top club in recent years and they are not the mediocre team they were 5 or 6 years ago. Their team is full of very talented players and they have depth in their squad as well. Just in attack, they have 3 quality players vying for that coveted striker role. Kolo Muani is obviously the starter, given that he is an exceptional talent. But Santos Borre and Lucas Alario would be regular starters and key players for most other Bundesliga clubs. However, as it stands, the Colombian and the Argentinian internationals have to be content with a place on the bench at Frankfurt.

31 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, I found this out when Philipp Max first started impressing everyone at Augsburg during the 2016/17 season. Philipp also started his career at Schalke, the club where his dad Martin Max really made a name for himself. However, what I have only just found out a few minutes ago, is that Martin Max was born in Poland, and is a part of the ethnic German community that has lived in Poland for a very long time. His family migrated to Germany from Poland when he was a kid. Martin Max was then given German citizenship and actually has one international cap to his name for Germany, making his debut for Germany in 2002 against Argentina.

But in general, it really great that Germany and many other European countries recognise peoples ancestry and make them eligible for German citizenship if such people can prove that they have German ancestors. In the UK, the rules were much more limited for those with British grandparents, let alone British ancestors.

Has partly to do, with the different concepts of nations that apply for those countries: while the UK, was an entity since 1707 and included the most if not all English speaking people, and therefore defined nation as a group of people living in the same state, there were quite qa lot of different states ruling over persons of German language and culture, therefore the German concept orientated on those two criteria rather than the country they lived in. ---this lingers down til today. Also Germany losing land after both World Wars and the aftermath of people, who were born in those parts fleeing to one of the two to three remaining German states made an approach different to the British one inevitable.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Has partly to do, with the different concepts of nations that apply for those countries: while the UK, was an entity since 1707 and included the most if not all English speaking people, and therefore defined nation as a group of people living in the same state, there were quite qa lot of different states ruling over persons of German language and culture, therefore the German concept orientated on those two criteria rather than the country they lived in. ---this lingers down til today. Also Germany losing land after both World Wars and the aftermath of people, who were born in those parts fleeing to one of the two to three remaning German states made an approach differefnt to the British one inevitable.

Yes this is very true. History does shape such rulings. But it always seemed illogical to me that people who had British grandparents(4 such grandparents in most cases) and who were of English stock, were not eligible for British citizenship, if their parents were not British. I have Australian 2nd cousins who found themselves in exactly this situation. But I believe that the law was recently changed for the better here in the UK. 

Germany like you suggested, has had these laws for good reason. But it's not only Germany, many other countries in Europe have similar laws. Poland for one, also recognises people of Polish ancestry, probably for similar reasons as you gave for Germany. As Poland also gave up some of it's historical lands after the 2nd World War. But many European nations also apply such laws.

For Germany though, this law has meant that hundreds of thousands of ethnic Germans whose families have lived in other countries for decades, sometimes for over a century, are eligible for German citizenship. Even as far afield as countries like Kazakhstan, where many of the ethnic Germans there can no longer speak German. However, I think that it is apt that this law is maintained, in acknowledgement of their German heritage.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bundesliga record player Karl-Heinz Körbel receives Bensemann-Preis. Well deserved 602 Buli matches (all of them for Frankfurt)  are some innings. Remarkably he was never red-carded neither as a Buli player nor in one of his 6 International matches, nor in the European matches he played with Frankfurt.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2