talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 4-0 Man Utd - Sunday 21st April, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

Saw something a while ago about Neville that made me think - he's very happy to go in on people but he is very reluctant to dig out particular names and could that be because he fancies Woodward's job?

Might be silly speculation but it got me thinking a bit.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I didn't waver too much on Silva. Always expected this season to be a difficult one with the overhaul in playing style and the fact that 8th place last season flattered us. Said when we lost our first of the season to West Ham 3-1 at Goodison there would be more days like that this season and there have been.

Finally looks like it's clicking now though, we look like a team made in the manager's image. We just need to approach games like Newcastle and Fulham away like we have the last few home games.

Most Everton fans said at the start of the season they were more interested in things taking shape for the long run and it's okay if we finish 11th this season. We're going to do better than that now and today we've equalled last season's points tally, so it has to go down as a success whether or not we bag the bonus of 7th place and European football next season.

I'm definitely looking forward to next season now regardless. Martinez and Koeman both turned to bollocks after one good season so hopefully Silva's fortunes are a bit better.

7 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

He is saying it wouldn't have happened in Fergies era??? and he is talking about the defence. United were humbled a number of times under Fergie with a poor defensive showing from the players both individually and collectively... 

Just to name a few... 

Manchester United 1-6 Manchester City - Premier League - October 23, 2011

Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool - Premier League - March 14, 2009

Manchester United1-3 Chelsea - Premier League - May 10, 2005

Manchester United 0-3 York City - League Cup - September 20, 1995

Let's not pretend that United were a defensive rock the whole time Fergie was in charge, Fergie even described the City result as his "worst day" at United.. every club gets a pasting from time to time.. 

We spanked United 5-0 in 1999 as well

• Subscriber

It's so, so petty and pathetic of me but it fucking annoys me. Manchester United should be in red every single time they play against a side in blue without fail.

14 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Hats off to you toffee fans, you well and truly thumped us today :ay:  :congrats:

As for Ole, I will wait until the season is over with and the beginning of next season and also see if Ole can bring his own players in and as I said before, get rid of the dead wood then I will judge him, getting pissed off with all these different managers coming and going, as for the City match at O/T I have just said to my son on the phone "Forget about the 2 bottles of wine you will give me if we can beat City for you this Wednesday to help your Liverpool out, just keep the wine, after today's performance United could not beat a 3rd division side atm the way they are playing.  

You are going to get the pasting of you life on Wednesday :rofl: ..6 or more, i almost feel sorry for united fans ..almost :D

• The title was changed to Everton 4-0 Man Utd - Sunday 21st April, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

So whats gone wrong??? why have they suddenly lost all their fight?? 

Gary Neville made mention about players that were just 'pretending to run' during the game against Barcelona and that the effort was not there.. and interestingly I saw a stat after yesterdays game where it showed that United opposition had covered more ground than them in 15 out of the last 17 matches.. does suggest that they are not exactly putting themselves out... 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So whats gone wrong??? why have they suddenly lost all their fight?? 

I think two major things went wrong here and its not systemic to United but to football clubs in the modern day in general.

• They tried to buy their way out of trouble by making big name signings that didn't have the work ethic binded to their club's philosophy. Forget about Lukaku and Pogba for a few and look around the club asking yourself whether they have a true 'leader' in their midst? They don't. They have absolutely no one (including the two muppets aforementioned) who can stand up and say I can rally this team across a finish line. But yes, Pogboom.
  • They never actively did any homework on how to instill a sense of security in their current manager because, like other clubs, they want instant success just because they are Manchester United. Look at the successes that other clubs have gotten even with high profile managers like Pep and Klopp. Anyone thinking Pep walked into the PL and started playing attractive football seem to forget what a joke he was in his first season here where even he admitted that he couldn't get his head around the English game but did the club and the players turn on him? No. They stuck by him and let him instill his philosophy to get them the results they needed. The same applies to Klopp and how a lot of people (fans included) questioned his acquisitions and look what happened there too. As I said before, its not a problem just with United but with clubs in general. Go get the big name signings and expect them to hit the ground running even if they completely obliterate any sense of cohesion or gameplay. 

And may it long long continue. They are lost right now and everything at the club is wrong except their current manager who has some shred of dignity to call a spade a spade.

I don't know if Pogba is being mismanaged or purposely not listening to the manager. 

It's obvious he works best behind the striker. So why does he insist on playing so deep all the time? He doesn't have the discipline or positional sense to do it. Either Ole is telling him to drop in deeper, or Pogba purposely does it because he feels that Matic/Fred can't lead a transition properly. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't know if Pogba is being mismanaged or purposely not listening to the manager. 

It's obvious he works best behind the striker. So why does he insist on playing so deep all the time? He doesn't have the discipline or positional sense to do it. Either Ole is telling him to drop in deeper, or Pogba purposely does it because he feels that Matic/Fred can't lead a transition properly. 

Yesterday Pogba started as an advanced midfielder but never got the ball because none of United's back seven could get the ball through to their front four. I think Solskjaer moved him deeper at the start of the second half to see if he could succeed where Fred and Matic were miserably failing but it made no difference because Pogba's dismal work ethic meant that he was no more effective than either of them.

31 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think Pogba at Manchester United compared to Pogba and Juve and France shows that Pogba is best as a compliment to an already good side, rather than being the main man a midfield is built around at a building club. He's an influential player when there are other influential pieces in place - but he doesn't have the work ethic to consistently perform.

He's got the skills to be good either behind the striker or dropping deeper. But if his side are looking disjoint, he lets his head drop and his workrate drops and he joins his side in looking shite. That's a bit different to him looking great in a fantastic Juve midfield or looking great for France in a World Cup where France have impressive defensive midfielders behind him and some great attacking talent to support him.

Matic looks well past it and Fred is either not good enough or simply not suited to the league. McTominay looks like their only midfielder who looks like he gives a fuck about Manchester United and will fight for the team. And doesn't look like it'll be enough to get Pogba to work his arse off for the club every match.

• Subscriber

Problem with Pogba is that he's such a big character in that United side, is that his shitty attitude rubs off on other players like Martial because he's seen as a leader in that squad. Didn't see much of him at Juventus but I can safely bet that wasn't the case when he was surrounded by Buffon, Chiellini and Pirlo.

Said it for the last two years but he's the perfect PSG player. He can go and pretend he's in a top league and at a top club while in reality it'll just be a case of him being able to spend all his time on Instagram, get a few YouTube highlight reel assists knocking balls in behind for Mbappe and lifting domestic trophies, while PSG can convince themselves they're one of the biggest clubs in the world because they've got one of the most marketable players.

Shame from a neutral perspective to see all that talent wasted on one of the biggest show ponies I've ever seen in football.

I've given a lot of stick to our board, but we sold Matic at the right time. Looks hopeless now. 

United honestly need a Jorginho type player atm. Arthur would of been perfect. There is a massive lack of quality in the middle of the pitch. 

I don't like box to box Pogba or holding pogba. He doesn't have the energy and work rate for the first or the discipline for the 2nd. He's certainly a powerful option in the hole behind the striker, in the same mould as Yaya, but he can't play the deep role like Yaya could. Maybe with experience. He's probably best as a free roaming midfielder who can press when off the ball and roam and be creative when his team is in possession.

---------------------------------GK who can distribute the ball-----------------------------

RB------------------------CB who can pass--------CB who can pass--------------LB

------------Hard working midfielder--Ball winner--------------Pogba-----------------

RW--------------------------------------------ST----------------------------------------------------LW

• Subscriber

It's funny though for a supposed 'world class' player we're still trying to figure out how to get the most of him.

I agree with Rando. He's as PSG as they come. That's Man Utd's potential escape route here.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

It's funny though for a supposed 'world class' player we're still trying to figure out how to get the most of him.

Juve showed us how to get the most from him.

Sell him to a pack of dumb cunts for way too much money.

Archived