talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-2 Burnley - Monday 22nd April, 2019

football forum

Pretty sure that zonal marking it statistically a better option than man marking. People mainly think it's a disaster because idiot commentators and idiot pundits mention zonal marking as a problem everytime that system concedes a goal but only talk about a player losing his man when talking about man marking insinuating that man marking is never an issue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Pretty sure that zonal marking it statistically a better option than man marking. People mainly think it's a disaster because idiot commentators and idiot pundits mention zonal marking as a problem everytime that system concedes a goal but only talk about a player losing his man when talking about man marking insinuating that man marking is never an issue.

Yeah apparently stats show that zonal is a bit better than man marking. Silva got criticised it for us this season but it was always pretty clear that it was a red herring as the way we were setting up the same defenders would have fared no better if they were man marking.

Burnley are proper narks aren't they? Just enough actual footballing ability to get away with not winning the Tony Pulis Memorial Award but a proper hard tackling, set piece exploiting, just about get away with as much as they can outfit.

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Isn't it just a matter of 'good marking' versus 'bad marking'? Going one to one leaves more room for an individual getting best but I don't think either is inherently better than the other. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Isn't it just a matter of 'good marking' versus 'bad marking'? Going one to one leaves more room for an individual getting best but I don't think either is inherently better than the other. 

There are definitely pros and cons to both and neither are drastically better but the perception within English football is that managers opting for zonal marking are making an obvious mistake. 

Zonal or Man is a pointless debate. Errors will occur no matter what. How many times have Chelsea been scored on via indirect free-kick/corner? I don't think that many times. When you think about it there has been three open play goals that resulted from errors in man marking, this game alone.

I think most teams use a mix of both zonal and man-to-man at corners these days don't they? However for that second that Chelsea conceded it'll almost always be zonal because of the position of the free kick.

Just now, LFCMike said:

I think most teams use a mix of both zonal and man-to-man these days don't they? However for that second that Chelsea conceded it'll almost always be zonal because of the position of the free kick.

It was clear each had a runner to mark. Christensen in school boy fashion kept his eyes on the ball, completely losing his runner who was in open space to head the ball far post. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It was clear each had a runner to mark. Christensen in school boy fashion kept his eyes on the ball, completely losing his runner who was in open space to head the ball far post. 

And he would have done the same if it were man marking, because he lost his runner! xD

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

What do you mean 'yes'!? You're the one that is having a meltdown about zonal marking here haha

I'm having a meltdown on Christensen losing his runner. I mentioned Zonal marking before I saw the replay of Christensen losing his runner....

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Blatant foul on Pedro and nothing given... this is going to be another one of them annoying games where we can't get the result we need 

If you want a referee who is good at his job, Kevin Friend is not your friend.

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Azpi needs to learn to change his approach to crosses... he is as see through as a pint glass.. 

Attacking know-how mate he just doesn't have in his locker I'm afraid. 

Our corners have been dreadful all season, too predictable, we need to stop with this near post bollocks. 

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Attacking know-how mate he just doesn't have in his locker I'm afraid. 

Our corners have been dreadful all season, too predictable, we need to stop with this near post bollocks. 

I would like to see the stats for those because I can't remember the last time we scored a goal from a corner?? 

• The title was changed to Chelsea 2-2 Burnley - Monday 22nd April, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived