talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Player of the Season?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Premier League Player of the Season?
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Basically it will be like this, City wins it and Sterling gets it. Liverpool wins it and Van Dijk gets it.

The vote for player of the year has already taken place and gets awarded at the end of April

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

How can it not be Sterling?? ..what a season he has had and can still win a domestic quad (on less the last few weeks turns to shit xD ..Pep has improved him so much

You're not Arsenal where you go out of all competitions within a week or 2 xD. You'll be fine.

If you're not gonna win the league, the FA Cup is yours. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

You're not Arsenal where you go out of all competitions within a week or 2 xD. You'll be fine.

If you're not gonna win the league, the FA Cup is yours. 

We lost a cup final to Wigan, anything is possible :D

59 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sterling isn’t even the best attacking player in the league this season. He’s up there though.

Gotta be big Virgil for me

Sure your not just a bit bitter there mate 😁

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sure your not just a bit bitter there mate 😁

Nah Sterling's having a great season, for sure. But so are Aguero and "one season wonder" Salah - with more goals than Sterling and both with 2 less assists than Sterling. I think there's plenty of debate over who the best attacker in the league is. Especially when all the top attackers this year are pretty much around each other statistically.

I don't think there's as much debate over who the best defender's been this season.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think there's as much debate over who the best defender's been this season.

Yeah Alberto Moreno FTW.

On a more serious note, I kind of wish Joe Gomez had stayed fit, he'd have given Virgil some competition.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah Sterling's having a great season, for sure. But so are Aguero and "one season wonder" Salah - with more goals than Sterling and both with 2 less assists than Sterling. I think there's plenty of debate over who the best attacker in the league is. Especially when all the top attackers this year are pretty much around each other statistically.

Yeah but wouldn't you expect a sticker to get more goals? 

45 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but wouldn't you expect a sticker to get more goals? 

Aguero's the only one of those 3 players listed that's a real out and out striker. Sterling and Salah are both wide forwards - who're expected to chip in with goals and assists.

Either way, statistically with Salah and Aguero on 19 goals, 7 assists, and Sterling on 17 goals, 9 assists... we're talking about 3 players that have played a direct part in 26 goals exactly at this stage of the season. Honestly, it's a bit shit the voting for this comes before the close of the season... because we're never really going to know who the best attacker over the course of the season is until it's all over.

But since it's not all over, I think it's reeeaally close between Aguero, Salah and Sterling. Salah comes off looking worse because last season he was unfuckingplayable, but he's still having a great season despite that goal drought - and despite that goal drought is top scorer still. Aguero I think is just a perennially underrated player despite being one of the best strikers in the history of the league - it's sort of weird tbh. And Sterling's having his best ever year and has built on an already very good season. I also think the fact that he's had some good appearances for England after the World Cup are kind of boosting his profile a bit.

But I don't think you can definitively pick one between any of those 3. I think they're the 3 best attackers in the league by far. Other options you could throw in would be Hazard - but I'd say his goal output compared to other attackers lets him down here. Mane - but here I'd say his assist output doesn't compare to other attackers ahead of him. Son's a great player, but he shouldn't be in the running with 12 goals & 6 assists - I don't think many people would put Bobby Firmino as a candidate for POTY, but he's got better stats than Son. Both great players, both shouldn't be in contention for POTY.

It's just so close between those top 3 attacking players, whereas I think the player that's made the biggest impact on their club this season is a defender. And defenders generally speaking never win this award, so I think this year where a standout player is a defender it would be very cool for a defender to win it. So that's why for me it's Virgil.

Archived