talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Away Goals Rule Scrapped

football forum

How would you decide a level tie after 2 legs?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. How would you decide a level tie after 2 legs?

• Current away goals rule
    • Extra time and penalties
    • Straight to penalties
    • Golden goals extra time then penalties
    • Away goals after extra time

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Confirmed to be scrapped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57599780

The away goals rule in European club football is to be abolished from the start of next season, governing body Uefa has confirmed.

The rule, used since 1965, decided drawn two-legged games by favouring the team that scores the most away goals.

All ties level on aggregate at the end of the second leg will instead now go to extra time.

"It is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

• The title was changed to Away Goals Rule Scrapped

Seen someone suggest this will be a move towards neutral venues for knockout ties. Wouldn't surprise me. Already had a taster of it with last year's competition. 

'Welcome to the 2030 Champions League semi finals from Qatar'

Just now, LFCMike said:

Seen someone suggest this will be a move towards neutral venues for knockout ties. Wouldn't surprise me. Already had a taster of it with last year's competition. 

I don't think neutral grounds would be a bad idea, as long as it's in Europe and accessible for fans

Just now, LFCMike said:

Think of the coin UEFA would get for selling the rights to host the 4 QF’s, 2 SF’s and Final. It’s almost a certainty. 

13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Already in discussion

Just a cynical way to give as many of the ‘big’ clubs a chance in the limelight to scapegoat their season and add extra perceived achievement onto a semi-final place, takes away from the final and grand occasion around the day/week of the final, undeservingly so as that should go to the two teams that earn the right.

On 26/06/2021 at 16:07, DNA said:

Just a cynical way to give as many of the ‘big’ clubs a chance in the limelight to scapegoat their season and add extra perceived achievement onto a semi-final place, takes away from the final and grand occasion around the day/week of the final, undeservingly so as that should go to the two teams that earn the right.

"One and done" gives them less chance of going through? As generally the double legged matches allow them to rectify losses against smaller teams

3 hours ago, Danny said:

"One and done" gives them less chance of going through? As generally the double legged matches allow them to rectify losses against smaller teams

Good point, I misread the headline actually and was just speaking on the idea of grouping semi-finals and the final as one big event type of thing.

Archived