talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alex McLeish Leaves Scotland Post

football forum

• Administrator

I’m not at all surprised by this. The performance against Kazakhstan was laughable. Yet I question his appointment in the first place. An anachronism that only now is being addressed. Yet the options to replace him? Not particular stellar. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

How are you measuring this 'record'?

Well how many other Scottish managers are managing in a top League? He may have been unsuccesful at utd but no other Scottish manager would have been even considered.

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well how many other Scottish managers are managing in a top League? He may have been unsuccesful at utd but no other Scottish manager would have been even considered.

I'm pretty sure David Moyes isn't managing in a top league. Not sure he is managing at all.

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Scotland need to look at producing better players and finding an identity than sacking and hiring managers who don't seem to do well. Looking at the results that @ScoRoss posted how many of them would be considered a shock? Bar Kazakhstan probably none. 

McLeash was never going to get them to a major tournament (which is probably why he's been sacked) but then again who would? Scotland are in a bit of a mess and it goes further than the man in charge.

There are some far better coaches and managers that Scotland could have had, but have been too inward and cheap to hire.

McLeish's persistence of trying to change from a system that was getting good performances and results, for the sake of justifying his appointment. 

The role of the SFA should to be appoint the best person for the job, and McLeish has proven to be far from it.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get Scotland fans not wanting Moyes. But at the same time he has a better record than all the other Scottish managers I think.

If Moyes was all that great he would have been managing another club by now, he finished his six-month tenure at West Ham and that was him, no other club has come in for him and just because he is Scottish doesn't mean he would be good for the Scotland job.

3 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

If Moyes was all that great he would have been managing another club by now, he finished his six-month tenure at West Ham and that was him, no other club has come in for him and just because he is Scottish doesn't mean he would be good for the Scotland job.

Look at what he did at Everton. I'm not saying he is a great manager. I'm just saying that he is the best Scotland have at the moment. With the exception of Clark maybe

55 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

A better option than Moyes.  :ay:

Quite possibly yeah. But he's the only one. To be fair I think gemmel could do a good job bit when it comes to credentials clark and Moyes have the most 

@CaaC - John. Actually scrap that last bit. Just looked it up and I don't think there is anything he has done that Moyes couldn't. It's unfortunate but there is a lack of decent Scottish managers around at the minute

Honestly don't get why nationality is even a factor. All the decent Scottish coaches are settled in good club jobs so we can't bank on getting any of them.

Plenty of small nations which qualify for tournaments do so with foreign managers. The idea of us being overambitious is laughable when countries like Albania, Hungary, Romania and Iceland get to major tournaments and we don't. Their talent pools are not any better than Scotland's - the difference is purely coaching, and planning at the association level.  Even Ireland I would not say are any better than us and look what they've achieved. 

There is absolutely no reason we can't set our expectation as being that we get to a tournament - the only reason we've become accustomed to never getting anywhere is that our FA cannot be arsed to go out there and find a coach who can make our decent bunch of players into a cohesive unit. 

Edit: the Kazakhs at home in the last few years have been held to a draw by Latvia and Armenia, beaten by Georgia, skelped by a bang average Russian side, and comfortably beaten by Montenegro. Their only home wins have been Azerbaijan and Andorra.

The idea that the 3-0 was anything less than an utter disgrace is absolutely ridiculous, and he should have been sacked instantly for it. He shouldn't have got to the dressing room. The failure to sack him at that point was in itself worth sacking every relevant decision-maker at the FA, if only there was any accountability. 

If it was a freak result where we missed chances and the Kazakhs scored some wonder goals,  it would be different, but it was a comfortable 3-0 which could easily have been more. The insipid 2-0 win over San Marino only reinforced things.

59 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Honestly don't get why nationality is even a factor. All the decent Scottish coaches are settled in good club jobs so we can't bank on getting any of them.

Plenty of small nations which qualify for tournaments do so with foreign managers. The idea of us being overambitious is laughable when countries like Albania, Hungary, Romania and Iceland get to major tournaments and we don't. Their talent pools are not any better than Scotland's - the difference is purely coaching, and planning at the association level.  Even Ireland I would not say are any better than us and look what they've achieved. 

There is absolutely no reason we can't set our expectation as being that we get to a tournament - the only reason we've become accustomed to never getting anywhere is that our FA cannot be arsed to go out there and find a coach who can make our decent bunch of players into a cohesive unit. 

Edit: the Kazakhs at home in the last few years have been held to a draw by Latvia and Armenia, beaten by Georgia, skelped by a bang average Russian side, and comfortably beaten by Montenegro. Their only home wins have been Azerbaijan and Andorra.

The idea that the 3-0 was anything less than an utter disgrace is absolutely ridiculous, and he should have been sacked instantly for it. He shouldn't have got to the dressing room. The failure to sack him at that point was in itself worth sacking every relevant decision-maker at the FA, if only there was any accountability. 

If it was a freak result where we missed chances and the Kazakhs scored some wonder goals,  it would be different, but it was a comfortable 3-0 which could easily have been more. The insipid 2-0 win over San Marino only reinforced things.

I'm a bit confused because I thought you were Danish? I think a lot of it is because Berti vogts did so bad. But maybe it is necessary for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm a bit confused because I thought you were Danish? I think a lot of it is because Berti vogts did so bad. But maybe it is necessary for Scotland. 

I was just living there when I made the account, never bothered changing the flag to anything else. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@CaaC - John. Actually scrap that last bit. Just looked it up and I don't think there is anything he has done that Moyes couldn't. It's unfortunate but there is a lack of decent Scottish managers around at the minute

Steve Clark, Derek McInnes, Danny Lennon, Dick Campbell, Malky Mackay, Jim Duffy to name a few, but we can only speculate what the super brains of the Scottish FA will do next, maybe they will create history and put Mr Bean in charge and say "Shit or Bust".  xD

ceefe5f5676b135fc1002517a5b214d0.jpg

41 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Steve Clark, Derek McInnes, Danny Lennon, Dick Campbell, Malky Mackay, Jim Duffy to name a few, but we can only speculate what the super brains of the Scottish FA will do next, maybe they will create history and put Mr Bean in charge and say "Shit or Bust".  xD

ceefe5f5676b135fc1002517a5b214d0.jpg

None of those managere have done anything to suggest they are better than Moyes

9 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

At this time, what has Moyes done to suggest he is better than them?

As I said apart from Clark none of them have managed at the top level successfully

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

As I said apart from Clark none of them have managed at the top level successfully

Moyes hasn't met any expectations in the last 6 years. Frankly, football has moved on from his time at Everton and he has not.

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Moyes hasn't met any expectations in the last 6 years. Frankly, football has moved on from his time at Everton and he has not.

Nor has any Scotland manager. And he did ok at West ham and was unlucky to get sacked in my opinion. I actually don't think he would be the best man for the job. Just call it a hunch but in terms of credentials he has the most.  But credentials don't mean everything. Steve McClaren had the most credentials to be England manager he was still did a terrible job

9 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Nor has any Scotland manager. And he did ok at West ham and was unlucky to get sacked in my opinion. I actually don't think he would be the best man for the job. Just call it a hunch but in terms of credentials he has the most.  But credentials don't mean everything. Steve McClaren had the most credentials to be England manager he was still did a terrible job

Which is why they have been sacked. No point bringing in someone else to disappoint.

50 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Which is why they have been sacked. No point bringing in someone else to disappoint.

I meant any current Scottish manager not ones that have managed the national team. There aren't any Scottish managers that have a great CV at the minute. Moyes has the best out of all the Scottish managers. But like I said doesn't mean he is the right man for the job

Steve Clarke has far exceeded expectations at Kilmarnock, so I can't see how "no Scottish managers have exceeded expectations". Let alone what Jack Ross has done in his short career so far. Or Derek McInnes has done, or Alex Neil...

This is why the same rotation of Moyes / Allardyce / Pardew... Etc happens. People can't see beyond the same people that have had successive failures.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived